Your Favorite Healthy Eating Out Choices in the USA

Options

Replies

• Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options

ETA: Oh, now that I think of it, I did try the Hook & Ladder Light sub at Firehouse last weekend for about 450 calories.

Sounds delish - will try if we come across that chain.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    don't know which part of the country you will be in, but if you are looking for fast food, Chic Fil A has grilled chicken sandwiches, and grilled chicken nuggets. You can get a cup of fruit instead of the fries and it is a quick and healthy alternative...

MMM, love Chick Fil A! Good ideas :) Hard to stay away from those Waffle fries however!
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    I second Panera. I can fill up there very easily for 400-600 calories. They have a great online meal builder tool that lets you plan ahead. They even tell you what soups are on the menu that day.

Oh that's great! There's a chain here called Nandos that has a similar tool. Very helpful when planning - I'll definitely make this one of our stops :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/weight-watchers-points.html

I found this when I was doing WW and when compared to the websites it seems pretty accurate for calorie count and whatnot. Just a nice, one-stop shop resource for finding options.

Oh thank you! :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Cracker Barrel is actually quite EASY for eating out.
    They've added a few new lighter options and they have more veggie choices than most places.
    Yes, a lot of their veggies have added sugar/butter/fat BUT still less calories than most side dish options anywhere else.

The oven baked chicken breast is coated in cornflake crumbs and is SOOOO yummy for 290 calories per portion.

Their grilled catfish is 120 calories per piece.

I love CB :) Will definitely be eating there - thanks for the ideas.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    I'm going to go get some Chic-fil-a grilled nuggets for lunch today. 200 calories and 34 grams of protein for 12 nuggets is hard to argue with.

Will definitely have to try these! Sounds great!
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Consider breakfast food.You can get eggs, bacon, grits (skip the bread) at Denny's for 540 calories.
    Or go to a place that has grilled chicken/fish/steak with veggies: Chili's has a 6 oz Sirloin for 250 calories.
    I also like the Australian Outback for small steak and veggies.
    Good luck on your trip.

Thank you :) Great ideas.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    They are not very common but: https://www.freshii.com/us

I am addicted to the Ninja Wrap, I add chicken and Kale and have them go light on the dressing more because I don't like too much. They have lots of options.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    If I'm eating fast food I love the Southwest Salad from McDonalds. It doesn't even need dressing and is like 290 calories. The chicken flatbreads from Wendy's are ok too.

Thank you :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Applebee's had an Under 550/Weigh Watchers menu that is good.

IHOP also has a Light/Weight Watchers selection as well.

Love Panera Bread, and depending on the area of the country it's St. Louis Bread Co.

Noodles can be ok as long as you order the small serving.

Hubby's family loves IHOP, so very good to know as we will no doubt be eating there.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    I'm in Kansas and I love Jimmy John's for their "unwiches" (lettuce instead of bread), Red Robin's lettuce wrap burgers (without cheese) aren't super calorie crazy as far as burgers go (and they're huge) - they also have some awesome salads. I do a lot of Wendy's salads or salads from Subway. And honestly it's a little spendy but I'm a big fan of picking up yogurt or fruit or cobb salad kits at the gas station or a grocery store and eating it in the car.

All sound great. Thanks for sharing :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Panera Bread is a good choice like many mentioned. Firehouse Subs has some good subs. They aren't in CA where I am but I get them every time I go to Tucson, AZ. The chain restaurants are all starting to offer some lower calorie items. Never heard of this Wawa everyone on here is talking about. Since I'm from CA I personally love In-N-Out! Double double, grilled onions protein style(or not). I'm diabetic so I have to decide between the bun or fries, not both.

Definitely going to try Panera and Firehouse subs after reading on here. We'll be in the southeast - but have been in CA and In-N-Out was great!
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Dang, well Wawa USED to be pretty limited in scope to my native NJ, however I am glad to hear that this is not the case any more!

EDIT: More on topic, um... if you can't find a Wawa... I don't know. I guess accept the fact you're gonna gain a little weight on Vacation, enjoy yourself. I would say don't eat at chain places if you can avoid it, because the food at other places is way better but if you're on the road that's not always a choice. Easier now with Yelp though, these days.
    If you've been out of the country for a while though, Five Guys is pretty good! In the middle of the country I LOVE steak n shake. And if you're out west, then it's In N Out burger all the way. Other than that I don't really like fast food.

Thank so much :) A little weight will be okay - but last time I went back for 2 weeks it was too much :(
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    If you see a Whole Foods or Safeway, go inside and get food from their buffet's.. they have everything you'd want to eat and then some. Even sushi!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong asking for grilled chicken and salad with the dressing on the side.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Wawa is only in the NJ, PA maybe DE area though.

There are two WAWA's in Southern VA as well.. in the Williamsburg, VA area.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Outback has some great under 500 options....I get the grilled chicken without butter, a side salad with the dressing on the side, and you're looking at under 500 with lots of protein!! :)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Texas Roadhouse has THE BEST Grilled Chicken Salad's I have ever tasted!!!!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster has their Lighthouse menu items, you create your own healthy/low-cal meal.

https://www.redlobster.com/health/smart_meal/
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I second Panera. I can fill up there very easily for 400-600 calories. They have a great online meal builder tool that lets you plan ahead. They even tell you what soups are on the menu that day.

Panera is also nice b/c they have the calories for each dish listed in plain sight on the menu in the restaurant. And their food tastes great!

Paneara also does and 1/2 and 1/2 option you can get half of a sandwich and half of a salad or soup or anything else off the menus

also you can substitute bread with an apple...

Olive Garden and Applebees have low cal section on their menus. Ruby Tuesdays doesnt