How do I calculate my calories burned according to my heart

SassyStef
SassyStef Posts: 413
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
How do I calculate my calories burned according to my heart rate?

Ok so I have done google search after search and just dont understand this. I came across some funky equations but seriously I dont think it is accurate and I really dont think I burn more than 400 calories during my exercise.

Can some please help me?

My friend who I do bootcamp with is trying to tell me I burn like 900 calories during the work out and that just doesnt seem right. I tried eating like they recommended and ended up gaining 2lbs 2 weeks after a 4lbs loss so I totally said forget that and went with the lower number 400 which was told to me by a trainer. My main worry is that my exercise calories I need to eat back are too many so any who, with our rambling on and on about this I totally need some help calculating my calories burnt.

I have my heart rate numbers just dont know what to do with them LOL

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    All you need is an average of your heart rate over the entire time of your workout. The online calculator is more accurate if you know your VO2 max (not something most of us are tracking!) but it's still pretty accurate. It takes in to account your gender, weight, age, etc.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Stef- if what your trainer said was making you lose weight I would stick with it! PLUS, if you don't like eating all of those exercise calories...it'll be perfect cuz it will keep you in check! most sites just go with a generalized number anyways...your weight and the general activity and the minutes done...combined all of these things seem to be pretty close! good luck!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    All you need is an average of your heart rate over the entire time of your workout. The online calculator is more accurate if you know your VO2 max (not something most of us are tracking!) but it's still pretty accurate. It takes in to account your gender, weight, age, etc.

thanks for the website - I have a recumbent bike that shows calorie burn based on the weight of a 185 lb man - it doesn't allow me to program for my gender, weight, age. It does however have a built in heart rate monitor by holding on to the handles. The website you provided may actually help me calculate my calorie burn more accurately than what MFP provides which I think is high.

Vickie
  • All you need is an average of your heart rate over the entire time of your workout. The online calculator is more accurate if you know your VO2 max (not something most of us are tracking!) but it's still pretty accurate. It takes in to account your gender, weight, age, etc.

Thanks!!
    Ya I dont have any idea what the VO2 max is any way lol
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    I have a heart rate monitor which I wear most of the time when I exercise. On average its close the general guides for running and walking but when I wore it during a session on 30 day shred it was much lower than the MFP guide for calorie burn (I used general circuit training), but I was surprised that I burnt 175cals during level 1 sessions.

I try not to eat all the extra calories earned through exercise to allow for any over allowance.
  • Stef- if what your trainer said was making you lose weight I would stick with it! PLUS, if you don't like eating all of those exercise calories...it'll be perfect cuz it will keep you in check! most sites just go with a generalized number anyways...your weight and the general activity and the minutes done...combined all of these things seem to be pretty close! good luck!

:happy:
    Ya turned out I am only burning about 100 more than what the trainer told me lol so I think I was on track, but on my actually running days I am burning 200 more so I dont think I am gonna change much of what I was doing seems to be working cuz I was able to drop my weight in 4 weeks!!
This discussion has been closed.