18 Ibs Lost, and no one notices

Options

Replies

• lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They say it takes roughly 10 for you to notice, 20 for people you live with, 30 family/close friends and 40 for everyone else.

If you are feeling better about yourself and your body though that should be all the boost you need! Plus the faster they notice you lose weight the faster they would notice you gain a couple of pounds - no-one needs that kind of pressure! :wink: :laugh:
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 50lbs and still some people seem not to have noticed. I think when they see us on a regular basis, it's more difficult to notice gradual changes. If I run into people I haven't seen in a while, they always seem to notice. . . but probably not until I had lost about 20-25lbs. If you're still in the same clothes, try wearing something new that fits you better. That's when the people I see daily started to comment on my weight loss.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 155 lbs to 133 lbs without anyone noticing. I don't mind - if they saw me naked, they could definitely tell a difference.

My husband and I were visiting his family over the weekend and quite a few people were talking about how great a family friend looked and how much weight she'd lost. She did look like she lost a good deal of weight. Someone asked her how she did it and she said, "I cut salt out of my diet. That's it!" I had to bite my tongue on that one. I told my husband about it later and he said, "So, did you school 'em?" Haha, he knows me so well! No one mentioned my weight loss, though. It's fine - I know I look good. :)
  • coosa1978
    coosa1978 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First, you've got to keep in focus that losing weight is for you and to benefit your life. If you notice the change after the weight loss, that's the most important! As you get healthier, your whole attitude and mood will change along with it...and that's bound to be noticeable to others. Keep up the good work!
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds and no one really noticed then I bought some new proper fitting clothes and everyone noticed immediately like I lost it all over night.
  • Copyeditrix
    Options
    A friend of mine lost 90 pounds before I noticed. You are much more critical of yourself than anyone else, so just know you're doing this for yourself.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, they will start to notice soon enough! People who see you everyday won't notice til probably after you lose 25lbs or more. Great job!!!
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. When people are all around you, they don't notice incremental changes. You do, because you're looking for them. People who don't see you often, will notice.

One day, someone who talks to you every day will suddenly realise that actually you've lost loads of weight. It happens to everyone.

I lost 23 lbs before the girl who sits next to me at work noticed. One day I was wearing a tight fitting dress and talking to someone on the other side of the room and she didn't realise it was me. The shock on her face was worth it!

My parents noticed within about 7lbs because I only see them every few weeks.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 or 30 before a lot of people started commenting. Whether or not they noticed earlier, I don't know. At first it was cool to get the recognition even if it wasn't my motivation for starting, but now I'm down 40 every second person comments and it's getting a little old. Mostly annoying because they all ask how I do it, but they really don't want to know the truth or do the work themselves, so I've come up with a pretty reader's digest version answer. There are only a select few people who comment in an encouraging and truly interested way and they know the true story of my health and why I'm doing what I am.
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are the only one that matters! I have lost 22lbs, I'm 5'3 so it is noticeable to me anyway lol! But Take pride in yourself. Oters might have noticed just not said anything.
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
  • thyldburg
    thyldburg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Very well said.... great comment!
  • mkladyjmm
    mkladyjmm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost between 30 and 40 lbs before anyone said anything. I'm down 65 now and many people still don't say anything. I am not losing weight so that others notice me. I am losing weight for my personal health and wellbeing. I judge my progress by my consistency, the downward slide of the scale, the fact that I've had to purchase all new clothes, including shoes because everything is too big. If you get your satisfaction and reward based upon the comments of others you will always be disappointed.
  • Zekou
    Zekou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 and only few people in my family noticed. But it's ok, I notice, and my scale and my tape measure :D
  • forswearitssight
    forswearitssight Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost 8,1 kg which is almost 18 pounds, and no one around me notices the difference..very frustrating!
    As nice as it is for people to notice. Are you losing weight for them or yourself? You've done fantastic and should be proud you know what you've achieved.

I was going to say the same thing.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed the change? That is the main thing. :flowerforyou:
  • SexySelah
    SexySelah Posts: 4
    Options
    Have you upgraded your wardrope to suit the new slim you? Baggy, ill fitting clothes won't accentuate your slimmer frame. A new haircut / make-over will also make a world of difference.

Congratulations! you're doing great!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Looking for compliments from others may disappoint many if they lost a good amount of weight, but still have a lot to lose. It especially won't look as obvious if one is just by doing it by diet alone since most of time all that happens is they reduce in size, but they just become a smaller physical version of themselves.
    One can enhance their look with resistance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Think of this way - would you want them to say something if you gained 18 lbs? If the answer is no, then don't be upset if they don't say anything when you lose 18 lbs.

I lost a bunch of weight in college and people were complimenting left and right about how good I looked. I personally didn't think I looked that bad before, so it was pretty hurtful to find out that many of the people in my life thought I was fat. Almost as painful as the medical issues that were causing me drop weight, which is why I never say anything to people about weight loss unless I know them really well and know for a fact that they are actively trying to lose weight.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I had to lose nearly 30 for people to start noticing. This is why it is so important to do it for yourself. People WILL notice eventually, but if you feel the difference and are happy with your progress, that is all that matters. Congratulations by the way! Losing 18 pounds is a huge accomplishment!!!! :)

Agreed :)
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The only people who said things to me when I had lost about that much were my parents, random clients, my ex - or friends, but only after I had said I lost that much weight. It wasn't until the past week or so that people have been saying "how great I look."

I think my most disheartening thing was losing 15 lbs and still not being able to fit into "regular" clothes.

But it will come. You have to do it for yourself. No one else. It will come - people will notice. Just keep trucking along.