Vegetarian dinner ideas?

Options
I've just gone vegetarian (lacto-ovo, so no meat or fish) and I'm trying to come up with foods that the rest of my meat-eating family will like. Any ideas? They tend to like beans if that helps.

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Curried tofu and spinach with brown rice and green beans.
    Crock pot brie and potato soup with Morningstar chicken on the side for you and real chicken on the side for your family.
    Breaded and pan fried eggplant stackers layered with tomatoes, onion, greens, and goat cheese with a side salad.
    cold tortellini salad with protein on the side (chicken, shrimp, etc)

I'm a vegetarian and my husband is not. Generally, if we're cooking a meal to share, we make it all normal and just keep the meat out until the very end. Usually he'll have some chicken or turkey or fish on the side.
  • Quickfeather
    Options
    Curried tofu and spinach with brown rice and green beans.
    Crock pot brie and potato soup with Morningstar chicken on the side for you and real chicken on the side for your family.
    Breaded and pan fried eggplant stackers layered with tomatoes, onion, greens, and goat cheese with a side salad.
    cold tortellini salad with protein on the side (chicken, shrimp, etc)

I'm a vegetarian and my husband is not. Generally, if we're cooking a meal to share, we make it all normal and just keep the meat out until the very end. Usually he'll have some chicken or turkey or fish on the side.

Great! These are awesome tips.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Mango-avocado chutney over rice with sauteed veggies (snap peas, carrots, onions, broccoli, and asparagus spiced very lightly with chili pepper, garlic, basil, and cumin)
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new life. Good luck on your journey. There are a number of groups that will help you out. ETL is one of them.

A couple of good blogs for recipes are : FAT FREE VEGAN KITCHEN. and VEG KITCHEN. Your public library has so many books to help you get started. You can look at dozens of books and see if you want to buy one.
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My dad is a big fan of veggie burgers! I found a recipe online where they used mashed potato as a binder (about one large for a recipe making six burgers) - other veggie burgers I've tried have completely fallen apart, but this works great as a base ingredient for me. My favourite ones are made with mashed potato, chickpeas (warmed a tiny bit in the microwave to soften them, and then mostly mashed, with a fork) and a bunch of coriander, some cumin or paprika and salt and pepper. I make a lot with beans mixed with oats, rice, greens, vegetables etc. They can be made and baked quite quickly, and as long as they have a nice spice mix they always turn out lovely. :)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm also lacto-ovo but my family eats meat. Here are some things we all enjoy together:
    spring rolls/fresh rolls (see thread about ideas)
    pizza
    hummus/veggies/pita/flatbread
    pad thai
    falafel
    macaroni & cheese
    spaghetti bake & garlic bread (just spaghetti w/ veg sauce w/ melted mozzi on top)
    pesto pasta
    grilled cheese & tomato soup
    dutch babies (breakfast for dinner ;)
    make your own tacos, tostadas, etc... provide meat if you want
    quesadillas

eta.... these things may not sound 'healthy' but if you use whole grains and add veggies, you could make them better... or not :)