Treadmill

Options
Can anyone suggest any exercises on the treadmill other than the basic walking forward thing???

Replies

• mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'll adjust the incline to increase difficulty and calorie burn, but maintain the same speed. I've also seen people slow down the speed a lot and do lunges while they walk forward too.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I adjust the speed and incline regularly. I also sometimes get hand weights when I'm on a low speed and work my arms too.
  • cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is what I did today:

Walk 1/2 a mile at a moderate pace

hard run for 1 minute
    walk for 1 minute

hard run for 2 minutes
    walk for 1 minute

hard run for 3 minutes
    walk for 1 minute

Keep repeating or add more minutes of running each time. My walk was at a 3.6 pace and my run was at 5.0 pace.
    It is amazing how many more calories you burn when you add some running and I sweat so much more!

I found it to be alot more fun that just walking.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    DO HIIT training on the treadmill or hill climbing. Google workouts for it there are tons
  • grammsterof6
    grammsterof6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you can be lucky enough to have your treadmill in front of a TV give this a try: walk a good incline till commercial, then run through the commercial, then walk fast no incline, then next commercial run again. Set a certain calorie burn goal. The variation, plus the TV, makes it more interesting for me.:wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are dangerous--

treadmill.gif

Don't believe me? Ask them.

Treadmill.gif

Proceed with caution.

:wink:
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I will add a few mins of slow walking backwards with a slight incline. Good work out on your legs and tougher:happy: than you would think.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I get so bored on the treadmill that most of the time I spend on there I have a good book (or a school book) that I read while walking. Before I started back to school, though, when I would be at the gym all day for work and have a break (nobody is in the gym at 2pm here for some reason) I would play on the treadmill trying to make it more fun. I would walk backwards, sideways, do a runway walk, those criss-cross steps like football players use for warm ups (done sideways on the treadmill), etc. There are actually quite a few things you can do with it, surprisingly enough. But be forewarned, you have to slow the treadmill down to as slow as it will go to practice them before you can use them as a real workout. And yes, you burn more calories if you don't hold on to the handrails, but for these things, Use the Handrails! You won't get more then a slow walk type workout in at first, but after you progress to adding speed and incline you will feel muscles you didn't know you could work on a treadmill.
  • belfastbiker
    belfastbiker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.