Feeling sick after eating "junk" foods

Options
I've been on a pretty struck diet for about a month straight. My diet use to include lost of sodas and candy. I've cut it out completely. So yesterday while in the mall I bought my son some chocolate chip cookies from mrs fields. As I broke of pieces to give him I took a few bites. Immediately after I felt sick to my stomach like I wanted to vomit and very full. This happened a couple weeks ago when I had a drink of soda. I used to love Pepsi but now it taste like syrup. I'm not mad about it but, Why?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    your body (and taste buds) have adjusted to your new diet somewhat. i find that most of the things that i used to love to eat like chips and whatnot dont even taste all that great anymore. its an excellent sign really
  • ProHealthGirl
    Options
    I also agree with the poster above. I used to drink soda a lot, but once I cut it out of my diet, I had no desire to want one. I'd take one sip and think "this actually doesn't taste as good as I thought." I think once we give our bodies proper nutrition, we start to crave what's good for us.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Just in case I'm wrong and there is a god, please give me this problem!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Your body and brain are adapting to not eating those particular junk food items anymore.

If you no longer like the taste or don't fancy the food anymore - that's good.
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LOL! Changes to your cravings and tastes will come!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with soda now. I used to LOVE Mountain Dew, now I can only do Coke if I make the cup 3/4 ice, with a splash of soda. I have not yet been disgusted by cookies though...I could still happily eat a package of oreos in one go if I don't make myself stop!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. I ate boardwalk fries at the beach and my intestines were super mad at me for a couple of days.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    your body (and taste buds) have adjusted to your new diet somewhat. i find that most of the things that i used to love to eat like chips and whatnot dont even taste all that great anymore. its an excellent sign really

Same with me...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

if you started drinking it in moderation again- you'd be fine.

It makes me bonkers when people cut out high fat foods- and then go get a burger or some other sort of "fast food" - get sick and uncomfortable and then label it JUNK and how horrible it is.

it has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the food- only that you're body isn't used to the high fat content- of COURSE it's going to be upset. it doesn't mean the food is inherently bad.

makes me bonkers.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

this.

It makes me bonkers when people cut out high fat foods- and then go get a burger or some other sort of "fast food" - get sick and uncomfortable and then label it JUNK and how horrible it is.

it has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the food- only that you're body isn't used to the high fat content- of COURSE it's going to be upset. it doesn't mean the food is inherently bad.

makes me bonkers.

Exactly this. It's a different balance of macros that your body has gotten used to. I don't eat low-fat foods, but if I have a fried chicken, whether it be homemade or from Popeye's, you bet that I'm going to have a reaction within the next 12 hours!

And for what it's worth, my husband experienced a similar feeling when he started eating more vegetables instead of starches. His body just wasn't used to it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You've changed your tastes. A lot of what we enjoy in terms of taste is learned behavior. If you change your diet, you will often change your taste.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So you are saying that you ate a piece of a cookie and felt ill?

I am sorry, but no change in your diet would result in a piece of a cookie making you sick. A dozen cookies? Yes. Less than a whole cookie? I am incredibly skeptical.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

this.

makes me bonkers.

I think it does have something to do with the quality. I eat high fat foods quite a bit - hummus, guacamole, shrimp fried rice, chicken wings, etc. But made with fresh quality ingredients. That junk from the fast food places still upsets my gut if I eat it. Which I rarely do because the taste of that crap isn't worth it.
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That happened to me this weekend. I had a piece of cheese cake on my cheat day and my tummy reacted badly. I also felt tired and foggy. I feel energized and alert this morning possibly due to the fact that I worked out, drank lots of water, and ate healthy foods on Monday. Edited just to say that I've been on this journey for only 3 weeks now, but can relate to your post. I read the comments by some of the MFP veterans. I think the palate and gut.. ones's system does adjust to the new healthy foods...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Your gut flora has changed and you can no longer process the "junk" like you did before. I can no longer eat sugar like I did before.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

I am sorry, but no change in your diet would result in a piece of a cookie making you sick. A dozen cookies? Yes. Less than a whole cookie? I am incredibly skeptical.

This x100.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    It's in your head....keep calm.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yeah once you eat healthy you can get this. Especially if you completely cut out junk, your body will no longer be used to it, and you'll be able to taste everything about it, with people who eat junk food 24/7, they don't realise how sweet things are or salty etc, their bodies are used to it. I don't feel too good after eating pizza, I eat healthy but have two treats a day- today I am having two slices of pizza. I rarely have pizza. The rest I eat healthy. So although I won't have a huge reaction like yours, I will feel somewhat of a reaction- bloat and just feel a bit sick. Bodies are amazing, really.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

This x100.

Everyone is different. You shouldn't judge. I believe OP.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options

this.

makes me bonkers.

Exactly this. It's a different balance of macros that your body has gotten used to. I don't eat low-fat foods, but if I have a fried chicken, whether it be homemade or from Popeye's, you bet that I'm going to have a reaction within the next 12 hours!

And for what it's worth, my husband experienced a similar feeling when he started eating more vegetables instead of starches. His body just wasn't used to it.

This and this and this. I don't even need to explain considering they have done a fine job at it :smile:

I'm the same way though, I still crave sweets though so it sucks when I do eat them because then my stomach is all outta whack.