Are modified "girl" push ups just as effective

Options
Wondering if I should include them in my workout. I can not do regular push ups at the moment

Replies

• silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope so as I cant do but a couple of the regular ones!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If they challenge you, they will be effective.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    No but they will be effective at getting you to the point where you can do normal push-ups.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Most of us have to start with modifications - hell when I first did push-ups I was doing them up against a counter because even the "girl" push-ups were too hard. The most important part is making sure you're keeping your body in a straight line from your head to your knees as that will help to activate your core. Maybe check out a video re: proper form if that helps.

Once your upper body gets stronger, you can start adding in 1 or 2 "boy" pushups per set and progress from there.

Good luck!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Well, they're easier, right? Is any "easy" exercise as effective as its "hard" alternative? No, of course not. They can be effective, but the standard full push-up is the most effective form of that exercise. Well, that's not true, but they're definitely more effective than half push-ups.

I used to not be able to do any full push-ups, and now I can do over 20 in one set. Just work your way up. There are push-up challenges on the Internet, I'm sure.

I don't believe we should settle for the modified version of any exercise unless there's some legitimate reason why we can't do it. I think a lot of women do half push-ups because they don't THINK they can do the real stuff, even though they've never really tried to do it or gave it a good effort. It's a great place to start, but you want to eventually challenge yourself to do the real thing.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I would think they still work your upper back and triceps if your holding yourself up with those muscles rather than putting all your weight on your knees. But as far as your core which is worked during regular push ups I don't think it engages much. I started out only being able to do 1-2 regular push ups and probably not even with correct form. Now, I can do 10-15 at a time. That's over a span of 4-5 weeks. All it takes is doing those couple that you can do over and over and keep trying to add 1-2 a week. The only way to get better at them is to do them.
  • rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are a great starting point! You can do them on your knees or a counter standing up. When I started I could hardly get through a set of 15, but now I can do 20 real pushups in 2 sets!! Just keep trying and increasing the amount you can do and try to do a few real ones each set. Oh, and lifting heavy can really increase your strength, giving you the ability to do more pushups. Good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    try incline instead
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Or you could start by doing them against the wall and move your way down until you get to the real deal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Let me say that if you're attempting a modified push up and only go down 2 inches, then you'll have to modify even more. ROM does count in resistance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, they're easier, right? Is any "easy" exercise as effective as its "hard" alternative? No, of course not. They can be effective, but the standard full push-up is the most effective form of that exercise. Well, that's not true, but they're definitely more effective than half push-ups.

I used to not be able to do any full push-ups, and now I can do over 20 in one set. Just work your way up. There are push-up challenges on the Internet, I'm sure.

I don't believe we should settle for the modified version of any exercise unless there's some legitimate reason why we can't do it. I think a lot of women do half push-ups because they don't THINK they can do the real stuff, even though they've never really tried to do it or gave it a good effort. It's a great place to start, but you want to eventually challenge yourself to do the real thing.

I've definitely tried to do regular pushups. When I do them they're basically like shaky planks.

What happens when we assume?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    There are push-up challenges on the Internet, I'm sure.

http://hundredpushups.com/
    This one took me a few months but it got me from 5 push-ups to 110
  • singingflutelady
    Options
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Try pushing up from the edge of a chair, bench or window sill. You can vary the height and angle to make it easier or harder.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I started push ups against the wall, when I could do those, I dropped to the counter top, then to stairs, and continually kept moving the amount of incline downward, to now I can do regular push ups.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

I've definitely tried to do regular pushups. When I do them they're basically like shaky planks.

What happens when we assume?
    have you tried incline?much better than "girl" pushups
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    try incline instead

Yes this, much better than knee push ups
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    First off, it's not a "girl" push-up. It's a modified or assisted push-up. Second, you gotta start somewhere. Most training videos/programs will explain to start with this type of modified push-up if you can't do any or only a few regular push-ups. And in regards to incline, they are better, put still a little tougher for some.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    When I started learning to do push ups, I did 5x5 against a counter top, 3x a week. Then I moved to my staircase and did 5x5 3 times a week on the fourth step up, and then moved down one step each week until I was on the ground. Then I started increasing the difficulty by elevating my feet about 6 inches each week.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If they challenge you well, because you can't at this moment do full ones then of course :smile: It's the challenge from which progress is made, not the level that you are currently at. It should be difficult and you should be seeing progress with time. If not, then it's not effective.

Incline pushups as mentioned before, are also good.