Alternative Food database

Options
2»

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I find adding "raw" when I'm searching for a fruit or veggie helps.

Yes, this. Also look for the plural. And items that do not have an asterisk next to them are from MFP's database. Those with an asterisk are added by users. Official items should also have a choice of serving sizes.

So if I'm looking for onions, I'll search for "onions raw" and then choose the one without an asterisk, then verify that it has a range of different serving options.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just use a different website :wink:
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    I usually will just type " yellow squash raw " and come up with plenty of entries that will show up USDA or Generic

This ^^ to me is the biggest problem with the database. Why must there be so many entries for a single food? I too cook most meals from scratch and don't eat the same things every week. I found logging here to be too time consuming.

An option to filter out results entered by other members would be a HUGE improvement IMO.

I agree. I've always entered all my own information for every single thing I log based on either USDA or the labels because I don't trust other user-input info. It was tedious at first but I also mainly eat the same things so it cuts down on a lot of searching in the end.