step counter

Options
I have a step counter and I think that it isn't accurate. it said I did 2,500 steps in a 45 minutes!! how is that possible? can anyone recommend me a good step counter that is accurate because I want to get in my 10,000 steps.

thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible, but that doesn't mean it's accurate.

I use an UP24 and it's pretty consistent. It's caused me to get off the couch more than a few times to get those extra steps to get to 10,000.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    fitbit
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Taking an average 24 - 26" stride that would mean you walked about a mile in 45 minutes, which is easy to imagine considering if you went on a fitness walk you'd probably walk a mile in about 20 minutes. Regardless of the perceived or actual inaccuracy of your pedometer, I know a lot of people that use Nike Fuel Band or Fitbit, I don't use either, but the one I was most interested in possibly purchasing was Misfit Shine because I can swim with it.
  • spwilliams2k4
    Options
    I use the Omron "Walking Style" pedometer. I keep it on my security badge lanyard and I have found it to be the most accurate of all the pedometers I have ever used. Depending on the model you order you can also track your progress on your computer. Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-720ITFFP-Pedometer-Advanced-Management/dp/B003U3HMN2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403014354&sr=8-4&keywords=omron+pedometer
    Hope this helps.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    2500 in 45 minutes would be a very slow walk. I walk about 100 steps a minute. Walk 100 steps and see how fast it goes.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    yes that sounds about right. Now do that four more times today haha. I use a pedometer that I bought from a sporting goods store. I would love a fitbit! When I go for my power walks I use a mapmywalk app. on my phone. I have found my pedometer to be quite accurate. I have a 26' stride.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I use the Omron "Walking Style" pedometer. I keep it on my security badge lanyard and I have found it to be the most accurate of all the pedometers I have ever used. Depending on the model you order you can also track your progress on your computer. Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-720ITFFP-Pedometer-Advanced-Management/dp/B003U3HMN2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403014354&sr=8-4&keywords=omron+pedometer
    Hope this helps.

I have an older Omron (Omron Hj-112) ....but I liked it because it allowed me adjust to my stride length...not just a default. If you are short...or tall, this is going to make a difference. It measured aerobic steps as well as walking ones. All pedometers are not created equal.

Now I have a FitBit....fun little gadget too.