oatmeal... bleh

Options
So, I like the oatmeal packets (Quaker Reduced Sugar) but I know they are not as nutritional as the regular oats. I tried the regular oats and it was just plain, like cardboard. I even added cinnamon & splenda, still so gross. How can I make it yummy??? Because I know its so great for you.

Replies

• MrsUnderwood
    Options
    I know what you mean...I might give it a try with this organic brown sugar I have in the cupboard...maybe that with some flavored or regular soy milk, raisins or craisins.
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I personally like regular oats better than packets. But I put honey and a little bit of soy milk in it. That's what I grew up with :smile: Try some brown sugar as well (just watch the cals).
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I like soymilk and raisins to give it a added sweetness and texture.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    quaker oats has a weight control version (that's what it's called)
    i really like the maple & brown sugar and the cinnamon flavors. i have it almost every other day for bfast :)

eta: i had it for bfast this morning so you can check out the nutrition info in my diary. (just try to overlook the mcdonalds i had for lunch :blushing: )
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i mix an individual sized yogurt, any flavor, with mine. Lots of variety! Makes plain ol oatmeal awesome!
  • kara_leigh
    Options
    I like quick oats mixed with hot water until it's just thicker than you want it to be, then add applesauce, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Yummm!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    stir in a tablespoon of almond butter and some sliced bananas and a touch of pure maple syrup

or blueberries, some almond milk and some chopped walnuts

or peanut butter and a touch of honey

or a ton of cinnamon, some applesauce and a few raisins (and a touch of honey if you need some more sweetness)

Also, steel cut oats have more flavour/texture on their own.
  • happy115
    Options
    I mix a regular flavor packet of what I like (1/2 of it) w/ 1/4 cup of old fashion oats... so I get a hint of a taste, but you get more substance and less sugar...

other days, I'll do 1/2 cup oatmeal and about a 2 tablespoons dried cranberries or trail mix.
  • lysle
    lysle Posts: 1
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 egg
    blueberries
    water to thin

Cook it in a nonstick fry pan like a pancake. Eat it hot or cold with 1/2 tsp almond butter. To die for!!!!!!!!! Like a cookie!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    stir in a tablespoon of almond butter and some sliced bananas and a touch of pure maple syrup

or a ton of cinnamon, some applesauce and a few raisins (and a touch of honey if you need some more sweetness)

mmm i love peanut butter. best thing ever
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

mmm i love peanut butter. best thing ever
    also, the almond or peanut butter keeps you full longer...so, bonus.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I add frozen mixed berries (I get them in huge bags at Costco) while it cooks. If that's too tart, you can add a bit of sugar or sweetener to take the edge off.

I also cook it by putting the oats in before the water boils, so it ends up thicker. Tasty!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have my oatmeal with a spoon of organic honey and a pinch of salt - sounds weird but I really like the salty and the sweet together! :P
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    blue berrys, apples and sugar free mapel syrup, peanut butter, sugar free chocolate....oh the possibilities are endless!!!
  • cindyg86
    Options
    YUM OATMEAL! I love it. I think I'm one of the rare few that could eat it plain. I think it's just delicious. Despite this, I still prefer to eat it mixed with other things. My absolutely favorite recipe for it is below... I eat this for breakfast at least 4 times a week!

1/2 cup uncooked oats
    1/2 cup yogurt (any flavor, I use a vanilla/banana mixture)
    3/4 cup frozen berries

Mix it up, cover it (I put mine in a tupperware container so I just pop on the lid), and let it sit over night. So unbelievably good!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I do syrup (I opt for only a very small amt of the full-fledged good kind vs the sugar free or lite kind which is gross and watery) and brown sugar with walnuts or pecans. I grind the nuts up fine and then put lots in so every bite is crunchy. Very good. I eat it probably 3 or 4 days a week. Well, not recently because I ran out of syrup and am still waiting for it to go BOGO before I get more! :tongue:

My son likes applesauce in his, I think if I were to do it I would warm the applesauce. He also does yogurt, raisins, peanut butter, fresh fruit, and almost anything. . . but he's 3 so... I think he'd eat it if I put beans in it. :laugh:
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but really you need to experiment with adding all kinds of different things. As you can see from all the responses, everyone likes theirs slightly different. Cinnamon is SUPER good for you, so if you like that keep adding it, along with some honey, applesauce and maybe almond butter or almond milk. Those flavors will go together really well, and you'll get a very nutritious meal.
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    Options
    I must be lucky that all I need to add is artificial sweetener!

Now if it was a savoury dish though - I'd be adding all kinds of spicy stuff... and chillis etc.

But have to say - I like my oatmeal (or 'porridge' as we call it in the U.K.) 'as is' so to speak.

:smile:
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can't help you. Oatmeal is totally nasty to me. Raised on grits and won't touch oatmeal no matter how healthy they say it is.
  • jcimcg
    jcimcg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats are better than packets and just as easy...1/3 cup oats 2/3 cup water (1:2 ratio for how ever much you want)
    SALT is the important ingredient to not have it taste like cardboard. Not much...just a pinch. It only takes 60 secs in the microwave, stir and let it sit about 30 more secs and viola`...easy and fast and better for you than the packets...now for some flavor...

Try to put in a mono unsaturated fat such as: peanut butter, walnuts, sunflower seeds, macademia nuts (just a Tablespoon of one of them) (The fat/protein will keep you full longer, and mono unsaturated fats are the good for you fats.)

Then add a sweetener: agave( a low glycemic index sweetener), honey, craisens, raisens,(just a Tablespoon), OR add a fruit: apples, blueberries, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, etc. or a flavored yogurt.

YUMMY! Tastes just like cobbler...well almost.