Bean Recipes

Options
alska
alska Posts: 299 Member
Anyone willing to share your bean recipes? :)

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This comes from tasteofhome.com

Always gone when I take to picnics and pot luck

Ingredients
    4 ounces bacon, diced
    1 pound ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
    1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon salt

Nutritional Facts
    1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.

Directions
    In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
    In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
    Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
    Originally published as Calico Beans in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p45
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have made this recipe several times and it is so good and cheap to make. You can play around with the seasonings to your own preference. This recipe freezes well.

Refried Beans Without the Refry (from www.allrecipes.com)

1 onion, peeled and halved
    3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
    1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (or to taste)
    2 tablespoons minced garlic (I myself use about 5-6 large cloves)
    5 teaspoons salt or seasoning salt
    1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    9 cups water or chicken stock

1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.

2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
  • alska
    Options
    sounds good. thank you both :)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    In for the fiber and iron!

I made a goal yesterday to incorporate 3 servings of beans into my diet each week. I like them, I just don't know of any good recipes for them.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The only beans I like are baked beans but I love them BBQ or on Toast with cheese!

I always add parsley, pepper and Worcestershire sauce to my beans, gives them a real kick :)

Kaela x
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    REALLY SIMPLE BEAN BURGERS:

2 cans (15.5 ounces each) black, white, or pinto beans or black-eyed peas
    1 cup dried breadcrumbs
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    Extra Flavorings (see Burger options)
    6 good-quality hamburger buns

*Extra Flavorings Suggestions

avocado
    mayonnaise
    salsa
    chipotle pepper
    onion powder
    chili powder
    basil
    cilantro
    paprika
    Be creative and add whatever flavorings are your favorites.

Directions
    Drain 1 can of beans, reserving the liquid, and mash the beans in a medium bowl. Drain the second can, add to the bowl with the breadcrumbs, eggs, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir in Extra Flavorings if using. If necessary, add a little of the bean liquid until the mixture holds together but is not wet. Divide into 6 equal portions and shape into 4-inch patties.

Warm the buns in a 300 degree F oven for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat % cup olive or canola oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning only once, until a crisp brown crust forms on both sides, about 6 minutes total. If you've chosen a burger that gets topped with cheese, add it now. Cover the skillet, turn the heat to low, and let the burgers continue to cook until the cheese melts. Top the burgers as desired. Makes 6 burgers
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I make a stuffed bean taco thing in green peppers -

Half green peppers, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 min at 350.

While that is going, saute onion in olive oil, add black beans and taco seasoning with a little bit of water.

Take peppers out, let them sit for 5 min, and add the taco bean mixture into each pepper, add some cheese and bake for another few minutes until the cheese melts.

Yummy!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes - but a good way I like to incorporate more beans is any time I'm making something with ground beef (tacos, sloppy joes, etc) to throw in a can of low-sodium black beans with the beef.

It slightly drops the calories per serving (full macro disclosure: yes it does drop the protein and fat a bit as well), and also ups the number of servings (ie - LEFTOVERS!) Quick and inexpensive way to stretch your food dollars!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't cook with recipes so I don't have any to share, but I eat beans almost every day.

Hummus, Mexican food (add refried or black beans to burritos, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, etc.), beans and rice (I make many variations of this with different beans), bean soups (split pea, lentil, black bean, several different mixed beans), chili (either vegetarian or with ground meat and beans), beans are great in salads (either as the base of a salad or added to pasta/grain salads or leafy salads), beans and cornbread, edamame (steamed or dry roasted or in a salad)
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love making bean dip. I soak dried black beans, boil them and season them. I roast garlic and take it all and puree it in the blender, adding a bit of water or broth to help it blend. Then, I bake it in a pyrex for about 20 minutes and serve it garnished with chopped tomatoes/peppers and cheese. I dip in veggies or if I'm not feeling it, nacho chips.
  • alska
    Options
    thank you all so much!!
  • cinmorrowlvn
    cinmorrowlvn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1 pound dried pintos
    1 medium onion
    1/2 bacon (can use turkey bacon)
    1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilis
    salt
    pepper
    garlic
    chili powder
    cumin

sorrt out ugly beans/rocks. Rince with water. Place everything in a slow cooker and cover with water. Cook about 6 hours on medium. A little spice and you can add them to anything. Our family makes about 1 batch a week. Easy to freeze too.
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Tin of mixed 5 beans. Smoked mackerel, beetroot and salad. Boom! Nothing more to it :)
  • Churchbell06
    Options
    bump for recipes.

i usually jsut eat black beans instead of taco meat on my family's Taco Tuesdays.

I have also discovered I love chick peas in soup

(five bean soup i love and is so easy to make . just throw together a can (or 2) of black beans, white beans, dark red kidney beans, regular kidney beans, chick peas, a bag of frozen spinach, a can of diced tomatoes (With chilis if you like spicy), and 4 cups of vegetable broth. love love love this soup!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Here are three that I make pretty often. They all make LOADS, so there's always leftovers to make for quick meals later on. :)

Crock pot red beans and rice: http://littlemagnoliakitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/crock-pot-red-beans-and-rice.html

Red lentil coconut soup: http://www.scalingbackblog.com/savory-bites/16117996741/

Slow cooker ham and white beans: http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/01/slow-cooker-ham-white-beans.html
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If you didn't already know - Dried beans can be cooked in the rice pot - with great results - and NO SOAKING

1 lb black beans dry
    3 chopped onions
    3 cloves garlic
    in the rice pot , when nearly tender drain half the water -
    add 1 large 30 oz(?) can chopped tomatoes, - or 5-6 fresh tomatoes
    1 tsp cumin
    1/3 tsp salt
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    tobasco to taste.

serve with brown rice if desired.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you didn't already know - Dried beans can be cooked in the rice pot - with great results - and NO SOAKING

You don't have to soak beans no matter how you cook them. You should rinse them well to remove any dust, but soaking is generally done to aid digestion, not because it's necessary.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my moms bean salad

can of kidney beans,green beans, yellow beans, one cut up green pepper, a bunch of green onions

a cup of white vinegar a cup of sugar and a 1/2 cup to 1 cup canola oil whisked together and dumped on

leave over night/ all day and stuff

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm