Cooking Challenge: Bananas

Options

Replies

• Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe but my family loves to take the banana still in the peel and place it on the electric burner until the banana is really brown. This caramelizes the natural sugar in it and makes it wonderful!!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Chocolate Banana Breakfast Smoothie

INGREDIENTS:
    1 frozen small banana
    1 cup skim milk
    1 packet sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast
    1 tbsp milled flaxseed
    1/2 cup Weight Watchers nonfat vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup organic baby spinach (yes, spinach)

DIRECTIONS:
    Pour milk into blender and add instant breakfast powder, yogurt, and flaxseed. Blend for 5 seconds. Add spinach and blend for 10-15 seconds until the spinach is pureed into the milk mixture. Break the banana into quarters and slowly blend them in. Add ice and blend in until desired consistency. (You wont even know the spinach is in there but the nutrients it provides is great!)

CALORIES PER SERVING: 340
    Carbs: 61
    Fat: 3g
    Protein: 20g
    Fiber: 11g
    Sodium 271 mg

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 1

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: AMAZING!!
  • canieatnomore
    Options
    Banana sandwich (all the kids I know love it)

You spread a tbspoon of nutella on a bread roll (or any bread you like) plus some banana in slices.
    Depending the size... around 250-300 calories
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Wow. Steamed banana cake looks SO good!! Also, Liz - that chai banana bread looks divine! I have a recipe for a pumpkin banana curry that I am hoping to find time for before Saturday... We will see!

Keep these recipes coming, folks!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Wow. Steamed banana cake looks SO good!! Also, Liz - that chai banana bread looks divine! I have a recipe for a pumpkin banana curry that I am hoping to find time for before Saturday... We will see!

Keep these recipes coming, folks!

I'm hoping you make it! Even though I didn't do it myself I was hoping someone would make something savory.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I fixed my recipe on my blog! The final calorie count is 115 per slice, so still pretty good :smile:
    Reduced the amount of baking soda, and added 1 Tbsp of brown sugar. It is still not nearly as sweet as Western cakes, just so you know! So if you add more sugar, the calories will go up too :ohwell:
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe but they are so good and super quick for a breakfast on the run. 1 Whole wheat or multigrain tortilla, 1 Tablespoon peanut butter(my husband likes his with crunchy) and 1 banana. Spread the tortilla with the peanut butter, add the banana, roll it up and jump in the car. Perfect if your in a hurry and it tastes great. Depending on the tortilla you buy it is about 320 cals.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Not really a recipe but they are so good and super quick for a breakfast on the run. 1 Whole wheat or multigrain tortilla, 1 Tablespoon peanut butter(my husband likes his with crunchy) and 1 banana. Spread the tortilla with the peanut butter, add the banana, roll it up and jump in the car. Perfect if your in a hurry and it tastes great. Depending on the tortilla you buy it is about 320 cals.
    I do this with my PB2 all the time... So good!

Liz - Yep! I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one... Pumpkin, sweet potato and banana curry is on the menu tomorrow for lunch. It is my kitchen experiment for the day (since I know my family won't really enjoy it)... Will definitely post my recipe and pics once it's done!
  • DustySprnkle
    Options
    Not really cooking - Banana Ice Cream?
    Ripe Bananas
    Peel and chop into about 1" pieces
    Put in freezer until frozen solid
    Place in blender until consistancy of soft serve ice cream
    Eat immediately

Add topings if you like. It is important to eat right away it will melt quickly and loose that ice cream texture. It is also important to use o:bigsmile: nly ripe bananas because they have the most flavor. I like to put some crushed coca roast almonds on top.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Banana Puddin' Whip

1/2 Banana
    4 TBSP of Cool Whip Lite
    1/2 Cup of Jell-O Sugar Free Vanilla Instant Pudding
    Calories: 176

Layer in a glass - Whala!
    I put pudding > banana > cool whip > banana
    Satisfies my sweet tooth, so light! :tongue:

And easy to make for a gathering and you can make up a cute presentation with glasses and added garnishes (e.i. strawberries or blueberries too!)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Squash, Sweet Potato and Banana Curry (finally made!)

Source:
    http://kararothenberg.blogspot.com/2009/12/pumpkin-sweet-potato-banana-curry.html

As usual, I made changes/additions. Mostly because I couldn't find pumpkin anywhere. Also, I do not own a kitchen scale so the original British weight measures were hard to follow. Here's the exact recipe I made.

Serves 4

1 tbsp canola oil
    2 small onions, finely diced
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    2.5 cm (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, finely grated
    1⁄2 tsp fenugreek seeds
    2 tsp minced lemon grass (I buy this minced because stocks of lemon grass are my pet peeve)
    4 tbsp Thai red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen, 20 cals per tbsp)
    1⁄2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 small buttercup squash, peeled, deseeded and cut in small cubes
    1 large sweet potato (yam in my case, since we don't have sweet potatoes up here), peeled and cut in small cubes
    1 large bell pepper, diced
    300ml no salt added chicken broth (President's Choice)
    300ml lite coconut milk (also Thai Kitchen)
    2 bananas, peeled and sliced

Directions:
    Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and fenugreek over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened. Stir in the lemongrass, curry paste and turmeric. Add the squash, sweet potato and bell pepper and stir to coat them in the spices. Leave to cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes to allow the vegetables to absorb the flavors of the spices. Pour in the stock and lite coconut milk. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste, remove from the heat and add the diced bananas. Serve with cilantro (or in my case, cottage cheese!)

How it tasted - Pretty darn good, actually! It was a little spicy but not overwhelming, the bananas, curry and starch played off each other nicely. A little sweet and spicy rolled into one. The texture was good and there was enough of a gravy to enjoy it with rice (if you like) or some other starch. Unfortunately the dish is already high in carbs and virtually protein free, so that's kind of a bummer... I would have it over spinach and add a protein on the side. But that's just me! Wish I had used pumpkin though. I think it would have been even better!

Break down for one serving:
    Calories 259
    Carbs 46
    Fat 8
    Protein 3
    Fiber 5
    Sodium 61

PB120018.jpg
    PB120019.jpg
    Served mine with 2 tbsp 1% cottage cheese...
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Squash, Sweet Potato and Banana Curry (finally made!)

Oh my goodness, YUM! I'm going to have to try that for sure.
  • Net132
    Net132 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a great pancake recipe I got this from Rachael Ray Cooking round the clock cook book. But i made a lot of changes. I made them last week and my kids said Can you make this every morning. So here it is sorry no pic.

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes

1 cup Quick oats
    1 cup All purpose flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar packed
    2 Teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1Teaspoon cinnamon
    4 large egg whites
    3/4 cup plan Greek yogurt
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    2 really ripe bananas mashed up
    3/4 Cup raisins

Mix oats, flour,brown sugar,baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In another large bowl combine Greek yogurt, milk egg whites and vanilla. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined then fold in the mashed up bananas and raisins
    Heat a griddle over medium heat and spray with no stick cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 cup batter for each pancake onto girdle and cook until bubbles form on the top. About 2 minutes then turn cook until golden brown on the other side about 2 minutes

The info
    Calories 155
    Carbohydrates 33
    Fat 1
    Protein 6
    Sodium 171
    Fiber 2

I forgot to add how they taste. Let me just say I made them Saturday and had 2 and made them Sunday and had 2. They are my very favorite breakfast food right now cant wait till Saturday to make them again.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Here is yummy Banana breakfast I serve quite a lot, inspired by the banana street vendors in Thailand.

NAME OF RECIPE: Toasted Banana Yum Yum
    INGREDIENTS: 1 medium banana, 2 tsp agave or honey, 1tsp butter, 1/2 cup skinny vanilla yogurt
    DIRECTIONS: Place on grilling or oven tray. Keep skin on and slice banana down the middle, so it opened up into two long peices. Spread a tiny bit of butter on each slice, then drizzle 1 tsp of honey or agave. (You can sprinkle a little cinnamon on before the honey if you like that, or nutmeg.. up to you). Heat under grill till bubbly and browning, or do it the same in oven on 200 degrees. Serve on plate with yogurt by the side and drizzle last tsp of honey on yogurt.
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 200
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 1
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: DELICIOUS!!!! If you want to add a few more cals, sprinkle some toasted nuts or coconut on the yogurt too!
    PICTURE (optional): Sorry, haven't got round to it!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Just a reminder that tomorrow night at 5PM PST the voting is going to start!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Voting for the banana challenge is up! The next challenge will be up this evening.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I stupidly forgot the link for where voting is: http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Don't forget to vote for which banana dish is the best! Voting ends tomorrow night.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to bratgrr1 and her Chocolate Banana Breakfast Smoothie creation for winning the best banana recipe cooking challenge!

It might be more of a challenge this week than most, but the okra challenge has very little participation. Go enter here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/134401-cooking-challenge-okra
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    BUMP