Medifast and weird advice. Opinions?

I'm overweight. Very overweight- but I LOVE to work out. It's my "antidepressant". It's something that I've found that I need for myself in order to get through my days. It's something that I feel like I do well. I forget how much I love it until I get back into the habit of doing it.

I started medifast a month ago. Sure, I lost weight, but I didn't go to the gym. I was depressed. As I lost the weight, I had that much more "gung-ho" to go to the gym. I was told not to do more than walking for the first few weeks, then "take it from there". That doesn't cut it for me. I like to do cardio every day and weights 3-4 xs a week. I started working out while on Medifast and I got SO dizzy. My blood pressure got so low and I had no energy. I decided to try another coach.

She told me, "You have 100lbs to lose. Lets focus on not going to the gym, but staying on program until you lose more weight where we can bump you up to the 4 and 2 plan (2 means and 4 medifast meals a day). Right now you need to stay in 'fat burning mode' which is what you get with the 5 & 1 plan..."

I don't get it. I feel almost stupid... like, everyone else loses all this weight with the 30 minutes walks a day, and I'm not happy with that. Why can't I be? I feel like something is wrong with this logic that the coach gave me.

Opinions?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    How much $$ does said "coach" make by keeping you on the plan?

That should answer your question.

He/She's (sort of) right about one thing, and that it's primarily changes to your eating habits that will have the most effect on weight loss vs. going to the gym. But very few people here think you need something like a "medifast plan" (full disclosure - I have no idea what it is or what it involves, but I'm assuming it has something to do with replacing meals with overpriced shakes) in order to make changes to your eating habits.
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    I agree, ceoverturf. You can't out exercise bad eating habits.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    what are we supposed to comment on then if not medifast?

i assume its a super low calorie diet?

My opinion is that your options are do the program as the professionals say, or do your exercise and eat a reasonable calorie intake.

Did you not already prove to yourself that you can't exercise the way you want and be on the program? seems like its one or the other.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I know nothing at all about Medifast, but my guess would be that the 5 - 1 plan doesn't provide enough calories for intense workouts. This would explain the advise to only walk for exercise and your getting dizzy when you tried to do more.

You may just need to choose. Do you want to do Medifast and follow their rules, which is likely what the people you know who lost weight did, or do you want to do continue with the intense workouts?
  • GamecockFan14
    Yes, it's a very low calorie diet.
  • GamecockFan14
    I guess my question is ... the coach made it seem like me wanting to continue to work out the way I am was a bad choice and one that wouldn't allow for success simply because I am starting off heavy.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    I'd be afraid that with the Medifast and NOT working out that I was losing muscle along with the fat. I guess you need to ask yourself: Do you want to look good and be healthy or do you just want to be lighter? Good luck to you with whatever you choose to do.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I guess my question is ... the coach made it seem like me wanting to continue to work out the way I am was a bad choice and one that wouldn't allow for success simply because I am starting off heavy.

No, wanting to work out the way you are is a bad choice and won't allow for success because the diet you're following doesn't provide enough calories to sustain such workouts. Has nothing to do with your weight (unless you're trying to do things that are way outside of your physical comfort zone or for which you're at a greater risk for injury due to your size and/or fitness level, but that doesn't seem to be the issue at hand).

I agree with those who have said that you might have to choose one or the other. Yes, some people can have success on Medifast and similar diets. But for even the heaviest among us, the body can only sustain so large of a deficit, and can only fuel so much intense energy needs (such as during dedicated exercise) on limited calories. You can continue to follow the program as your "coach" describes, which is perfectly fine if it works for you, but it doesn't sound like it does. Or, you can create an appropriate calorie deficit based on your current size, activity levels, and goals, and continue your workouts appropriately fueled for them through a balanced diet of real food.
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    There is a lot wrong with Medifast and the coaches. I did Medifast twice over the past 7 years and each time had a coach. The first time I did it, I lost 15 lbs before my weight loss stalled (taking in about 800 calories a day). That was before they had many of the food choices they do now and I was drinking mostly shakes. I finally gave up and moved on to some other "diet". I more recently tried it again about 2 years ago. Why I thought it would work, I don't know. It only took me two weeks this time for my weight loss to completely stall out. I was so frustrated. And yes, they don't want you to work out except for walking. This is because it is simply not enough calories to sustain body function and additional activity. They know if you do work out, your weight loss will stall (or pass out!). I personally will never do anything like Medifast again.

You are not looking for opinions on Medifast, so what I would say to you is that if you love working out, then the low calorie restriction that Medifast offers does not sound like a good fit for you! The low calories is never good for anyone. Not to mention, it's doing nothing for your metabolism to drop your calories that low nor will it ever fuel the workouts that you love. You seem to understand that the logic behind the program is flawed. Calculate your TDEE according to your activity level and eat at a 20% cut off that. You'll see much better progress and the energy you need to exercise the way you like!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Well, a coach for Medifast is unlikely to say "you don't get to eat enough for that activity with us". So, they spin it.
  • No_Finish_Line

Ok.

well, on the surface it seems like the coach is just saying that you can't really exercise intensly and be on the medifast diet.

but she also said something about dropping weight first.

the first part is probably very true, but you've already proven that you can handle the exercise if you eat more reasonably.

Weight loss (as i'm sure you know) is just about the defecit. Do it with just diet, or with exercise and a reasonable calorie defecit... which method you chose is simply a matter of preference. (and goals, obviously if you want to look athletic then you need to workout)
  • No_Finish_Line
    and Go *kitten*!

was lucky enough to have a workout in the Strom Thurman Fitness center lol. Thats basically a world class facility IMO

have you been?
  • dotcomee
    dotcomee Posts: 36 Member
    It seems to me that Medifast is a better option for people who actually don't want to exercise. Since you love it, you've got one of the "hard parts" already taken care of. Besides, are you going to be on Medifast forever? Why not take the time now to learn how to eat properly. You have to do that one day regardless, so if you are committed to long term keeping the weight off might as well start now.

Part of the process is learning how much you body needs in order to maintain and to lose weight. Programs like Medifast don't really help you do that.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Medifast sounds like a bad idea. I know you said that's not the type of response you want, but based on your post, I'm not sure what else I can say.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    If you want an alternative other than Medifast that doesn't cost a dime, and will allow you to exercise the way you want, read this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    It is MFP gold :flowerforyou:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Personally I'd say going to the gym is a better idea than doing Medifast. Why don't you try something like Weight Watchers Online instead? It allows you to have more control over your food and exercising and doesn't cost much (about half the cost of a monthly gym membership). Medifast seems more like starvation than anything that can be good for you.

If you like the gym, that's a very excellent and healthy habit. Why would you take that away? Medifast probably isn't the right option for you.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    My mum did Medifast - her exercise was STRICTLY reglated, and extremely minimal. As it's a VLCD to be done under strict supervision, if they're telling you not to push it on the workouts, DON'T PUSH IT. If you can't deal with not working out, talk to them about switching off Medifast and doing something that allows you to work out.

If it's for your health, and you're obligated to do Medifast, then listen to what the doctors (are they doctors? Or coaches? I'm not sure what your set up is but it does sound fishy) are telling you.

If you can switch off Medifast, then do so. Right now, I'm with LekatieAnn - it doesn't sound like it's the right choice for you.
  • GamecockFan14
    It's not that I don't want opinions on Medifast-- I don't mind them. I guess when I told my coach that I was feeling dizzy she would have said something like "Well, I know you really like to work out- so let's alter your plan to increase your calories. Let's do 3 lean/green meals a day and your snacks will be medifast." (or something to that extent... but, no.. instead she told me to stay on the 900 calories a day and screw working out. It made me feel like an idiot for wanting to alter the plan SO i can work out.
  • GamecockFan14
    Thank you everyone for your responses.
  • GamecockFan14
    Are you a Gamecocks fan?? And I have never been to that gym, but I drove past it today actually. Everytime I think about going I feel like I'm going to walk into a room filled with buff Army men. Which is fine, but... a bit awkward for me. lol