Creamy bean dinner

cfregon
cfregon Posts: 147
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'm not exactly sure what to call it, but it's a wonderful fall back I use many nights for dinner, and my roommate is usually super jealous when they smell it cooking. It's fairly healthy, super filling, and ultra easy (It's a one pot meal)

To make four full sized meals/servings:

1 1/2 cups white or brown rice (I like white)
1/2 onion (any kind, you pick) chopped
1/2 chopped green pepper
1 can kidney beans
1 can Rotel
1 can black beans
1/2 inch Velveeta

Cook the rice as you normally would, plain. Remove from heat. Once done, add veggies, mix well. Put back on heat at about medium. Add a tiny bit of water to prevent rice burning. Then add drained and strained beans, and drained Rotel. Mix. Cover the whole concoction and simmer for a few minutes. Then thinly slice the Velveeta and mix it into the rest of the meal. Simmer until everything is melted. Done! I like adding some low fat sour cream to the top.

If it gets boring after having it once or twice, you can stick it in tortillas with some tomatoes and lettuce, and call it a burrito!

If you want to cut out carbs without cutting too much flavor, forgo the onion and pepper, and just stick with the Rotel.

I hope you guys like it! I sure do. :) In fact, it's on the menu for tonight. :)

Replies

• :wink: Interesting!!!!!! I'll give it a go, Thanks!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Sounds yummy!! But any idea what the nutritional info is?
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Calories Carbs Fat

Great Value - Long Grain White Rice, 0.4 cup dry (1/2 cup cooked) 256 58 0
    Fresh Produce - Peppers, Green, Bell, 0.2 Cup 5 1 0
    Veg - Onion White , 0.2 Cup 5 2 0
    Green Giant - Whole Kernal Sweet Corn, 0.2 container (1 4/5 cup (123g) ea.) 63 13 0 (optional and not in total below)
    Great Value - Light Red Kidney Beans, 0.2 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 70 8 0
    Great Value - Black Beans Canned, 0.2 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 77 13 1
    Velveeta - Cheese - Regular, 0.8 oz (28g 1/4 inch slice) 60 2 5
    Total: 473 84 6

Sorry it looks kind of messy, but I just copied the entry I made from my diary (I used a bit more rice in this rendition to stretch the recipe to five servings -2 cups dry instead of 1 1/2). To further cut calories, I'd recommend either cutting down the rice, substituting a different starch (like a potato or pasta) or deleting the rice altogether. I have to eat the rice because my doctor is concerned about my iron intake and it's the easiest an most ready source for me. Likewise, if you use 2% Velveeta or another melty cheese (regular shredded cheese 2% or otherwise works, but if you get a fat free variety it doesn't melt as well, so I don't recommend that) it will cut it down a bit. This serving probably comes out cooked as 1 1/2ish cups of food. Quite substantial. :D
This discussion has been closed.