Trigger Foods and How To Avoid Them Help

Options

Replies

• tattooedillini26
    tattooedillini26 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe try finding recipes for them that are healthier alternatives...I know there are some for cauliflower crust pizza, or even using whole grain crust and making it yourself - I've seen baked donuts (like a muffin nutrition wise, but I've never tried it) - and there are tons of recipes for healthier baked good alternatives...I know they obviously aren't the real thing but there are some foods you just can't not eat...pizza is one of them! lol And I always find that when I make a food myself instead of ordering or purchasing it I think about what is in it more than usual! Maybe that will help?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...

Since when does learning to eat chips or cake in moderation = growing as a person? It's just food.

I think it's probably been mentioned a million times before with you, but learning to eat in moderation is about developing a better relationship with food, instead of a toxic one. If you can completely omit eating a food you love, then you didn't love it very much, did you? But if you can teach yourself to manage to only eat a reasonable portion, then you have taught yourself to manage temptation. Deprivation, while also a form of self-control, could also have potential self-destructive implications.

If you can teach yourself to not give in to temptation at all, then you've also taught yourself to control temptation. Feeling that you can't live without eating a little bit of every food doesn't seem any more in control or have a healthier relationship with food than simply choosing to not eat something at all.

Sometimes it's good to just break up.

If that was all I was capable of - then yes. That's what I would do. Thank goodness I was able to change some bad habits relating to food. I can eat anything I want and know how much I can fit into my weekly calories. This was a HUGE bit of personal growth for me. For many years, I used the excuse that I just couldn't control myself around some foods. Hooey. It was hard - but I did it. How you can see this as anything other than personal growth, is mind boggling.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...

Since when does learning to eat chips or cake in moderation = growing as a person? It's just food.

I think it's probably been mentioned a million times before with you, but learning to eat in moderation is about developing a better relationship with food, instead of a toxic one. If you can completely omit eating a food you love, then you didn't love it very much, did you? But if you can teach yourself to manage to only eat a reasonable portion, then you have taught yourself to manage temptation. Deprivation, while also a form of self-control, could also have potential self-destructive implications.

If you can teach yourself to not give in to temptation at all, then you've also taught yourself to control temptation. Feeling that you can't live without eating a little bit of every food doesn't seem any more in control or have a healthier relationship with food than simply choosing to not eat something at all.

I'm not arguing that you are wrong. I said that deprivation is a form of control... what I said was that deprivation can lead to self-destructive tendencies. That is the point of self-moderators.

For you, walking away from food works and maybe its healthy for you... maybe not... but it's not healthy for everyone, and the concern of the self-moderating crowd is that you never know who on the internet will read something and take it too far.

Yeah, I agree with that. And I wasn't trying to say that everyone should deprive themselves. But, to say that everyone should learn to eat every food in moderation is just as dangerous. And to say that everyone that doesn't try to eat every food they crave in moderation is "making excuses" is ridiculous. Both avoidance and moderation can be healthy means to control food.

Different things work for different people. I've never suggested otherwise.
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I need help on figuring out good substitutes for my trigger foods.
    My trigger foods are usually pizza, donuts, cake/cookies/pies/baked treats, and potato chips. Does anyone know any good substitutes to these foods? What are your trigger foods and how do you derail the cravings without giving in? :/
    for pizza: slice and sweat eggplant, put tomato sauce, herbs, cheese, any topping of your choice on, and place in oven
    donuts-cake-cookies-pies-baked treats...: either a pureed banana in the mixer with cinnamon that i've out in the microwave for 30 sec to warm up, or i bake myself some real cookies that i can control what i put into!! A nice glass of milk with one cookie is ok for me tho
    potato chips- literally take any vegetable, season it, place it on wax paper in the oven after you've sliced it thinly, and eat after 15 min 350 degrees
  • bcattoes
    Options

If that was all I was capable of - then yes. That's what I would do. Thank goodness I was able to change some bad habits relating to food. I can eat anything I want and know how much I can fit into my weekly calories. This was a HUGE bit of personal growth for me. For many years, I used the excuse that I just couldn't control myself around some foods. Hooey. It was hard - but I did it. How you can see this as anything other than personal growth, is mind boggling.

That does seem to be personal growth for you. I concede the point for you. Well done. And I'm not being flip, I truly mean well done.
  • beers_n_whiskey
    beers_n_whiskey Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Regardless of what it is, being able to control something will help you grow

And "control" can only mean that must eat a little of it? You are being silly.

Are you like a professional arguer or something?

DING DING DING!!! We have a bingo!!

No, no. I don't get paid. I do think it's adorable when someone keeps arguing with me and then points out that I am arguing, though. :smile:
    I think you're done for now... C U Next Tuesday! :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find most successful folks on MFP have found a way to eat these foods they love in moderation.
    Not that it's always easy, but it can happen.

Generally if you make something off limits, the moment you fall off the wagon you fall hard.

You really don't want to suffocate yourself in a life size box of cheez it.s

^^^^ this

you have to change your mentality towards those foods, and stop seeing them as some kind of exotic, delicious food that you are powerless around, and start seeing them as just another food that you can it if and when you want to, so long as it fits into your calorie and macro goals. Then it loses its power over you.

I used to have difficulty not overeating on all kinds of food... ice cream, chocolate, any kind of sweets, cakes, biscuits, jaffa cakes (which are a delicious blend of cake and biscuit), burgers, pizza.... you name it.........

forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest. Stop letting these foods have power over you by making them forbidden fruits and calling them "trigger foods"

Seriously, I had my NSV on this one one day when I went into a shop and saw mars ice cream bars on sale and said to myself (without even consciously making myself think it) "not today, I can have one any time, I don't need one right now" - and that was that. After the event, I realised the significance of it. If you truly give yourself permission to eat these foods whenever, then whenever stops needing to be *RIGHT NOW* because the urge to binge on foods comes from the belief that you have to eat them RIGHT NOW because they're forbidden foods and you won't get the chance to eat them normally... change your mentality towards the food and the urge to binge eat on it goes away.

(yes I know that in a few people there are deeper psychological issues going on especially where there's a level of binge eating sufficient to diagnose bulimia or binge eating disorder, but the majority of the time unplanned overeating and milder binge eating is simply the result of a bad relationship with food, often being stuck in a cycle of excessive restriction, overconsumption, and guilt)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I def want to make my own pizza I must try that. Thankss.

I've got a recipe around here for a cauliflower crust.....It's amazing. I will find it for you.

That would be grrrreat. I didn't even know you could make a cauliflower crust for pizza. I did just come across a recipe for a roasted cauliflower head though that looked delicious. Still have yet to try though

Here it is!!! It's totes amazeballs!

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    That's an awfully big list of foods. I agree that learning to control yourself with them is the best approach. To help with that you can always purchase things in single servings. Buy pizza by the slice (or make it yourself using English muffins as crust). By a doughnut, or a single serving of cookies, don't make a batch at home (or if you do, grab 3 and give the rest away). Allow yourself to buy a bag of chips from a vending machine every now and again for a treat.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Learning self control and moderation with food or anything else most certainly contributes to personal growth. The chances of someone avoiding these foods at all times are slim to none, and when they do have them, they will end up binging. It is better to be realistic and not idealistic about the food choices that someone will actually make and just learn to eat "treats' in moderation. It took me a while to control it, but I got a firm grasp on it eventually with time, patience, practice and a bit of trial and error.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

That does seem to be personal growth for you. I concede the point for you. Well done. And I'm not being flip, I truly mean well done.

I appreciate this response and your willingness to learn from other points of view.

My take on the idea that learning to eat food in moderation is about personal growth, is that it's kind of similar to doing life drawing art classes... i.e. the ability to be around a naked person, and draw them too, without having silly adolescent fits of giggles or acute embarrassment. Like being able to just chat with the model as you draw them and not even bat an eyelid to the fact they've got no clothes on. Additionally, which is also in keeping with this analogy, it's people who are the least exposed to naked bodies who are the most uncomfortable and/or have the most OTT reactions when confronted with one. Learning not to see these kinds of things as something that makes you freak out or behave in an OTT way (uncontrollable overeating is an OTT reaction) is a form of personal growth, i.e. learning to take these things in your stride and not have OTT reactions to them.

Also (but not with the same analogy) being able to eat foods in moderation includes the ability to take it or leave it, as in you'll have it one day but not another. It's not "I have to eat 30g of chocolate every day or I'll snap and binge eat on it" - it's "I fancy some chocolate, well I have the calories for 30g so I'll have some" and on another day it's "I fancy some chocolate... oh look, no spare calories, oh well I'll make room for it tomorrow" and many days where you don't bother with the chocolate at all because it's not constantly on your mind.

ETA: re the last paragraph.. the "I have to eat 30g of chocolate each day to avoid binge eating it" is a step on the journey towards true self control and moderation with food, so I'm not knocking that or people who are at that stage.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Learning self control and moderation with food or anything else most certainly contributes to personal growth. The chances of someone avoiding these foods at all times are slim to none, and when they do have them, they will end up binging. It is better to be realistic and not idealistic about the food choices that someone will actually make and just learn to eat "treats' in moderation. It took me a while to control it, but I got a firm grasp on it eventually with time, patience, practice and a bit of trial and error.

I conquer! Learning to eat in moderation has taught me a great deal of self control. In my book that is a part of personal growth. We all are here because we ate too much and gained weight. Learning to eat in moderation is tough. It is not easy. It took me a few years to realize that I can eat what I want and still lose weight. I brought a bag of oreos the other day and have only had 2 so far. I say for me that is a HUGE deal and personal growth. I feel like my will power has strengthened and I have more self control.

If it was just food, then why make such a big deal about it when losing and gaining weight?! Its what got us here.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Time to stop making excuses!

Excuses?? So forcing yourself to eat little bits of chips or candy = taking control and change. Not eating chips and candy =/= control and change. :huh:

Where does anyone say to force yourself to eat anything.

Op apparently wants to eat these foods. Why not eat them, in moderation, and enjoy them?
    Why cut out foods you want to eat?

I eat a serving of chips/candy, whatever you consider a "trigger food". It's not just a little bit, it's enough for me to enjoy, and save the rest for the next time.

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing, it's getting old.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I appreciate this response and your willingness to learn from other points of view.

My take on the idea that learning to eat food in moderation is about personal growth, is that it's kind of similar to doing life drawing art classes... i.e. the ability to be around a naked person, and draw them too, without having silly adolescent fits of giggles or acute embarrassment. Like being able to just chat with the model as you draw them and not even bat an eyelid to the fact they've got no clothes on. Additionally, which is also in keeping with this analogy, it's people who are the least exposed to naked bodies who are the most uncomfortable and/or have the most OTT reactions when confronted with one. Learning not to see these kinds of things as something that makes you freak out or behave in an OTT way (uncontrollable overeating is an OTT reaction) is a form of personal growth, i.e. learning to take these things in your stride and not have OTT reactions to them.

Also (but not with the same analogy) being able to eat foods in moderation includes the ability to take it or leave it, as in you'll have it one day but not another. It's not "I have to eat 30g of chocolate every day or I'll snap and binge eat on it" - it's "I fancy some chocolate, well I have the calories for 30g so I'll have some" and on another day it's "I fancy some chocolate... oh look, no spare calories, oh well I'll make room for it tomorrow" and many days where you don't bother with the chocolate at all because it's not constantly on your mind.

ETA: re the last paragraph.. the "I have to eat 30g of chocolate each day to avoid binge eating it" is a step on the journey towards true self control and moderation with food, so I'm not knocking that or people who are at that stage.

I get all that. I just fail to see what is wrong with simply not eating chocolate?

And there were certainly some earlier posts that seemed to be knocking those excuse makers at that stage.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Excuses?? So forcing yourself to eat little bits of chips or candy = taking control and change. Not eating chips and candy =/= control and change. :huh:

Op apparently wants to eat these foods. Why not eat them, in moderation, and enjoy them?

I eat a serving of chips/candy, whatever you consider a "trigger food". It's not just a little bit, it's enough for me to enjoy, and save the rest for the next time.

Silly me. When she asked for substitutes I mistakenly assumed she didn't want to eat them. :tongue:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Moderation is a good substitute
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

People are missing the learning curve part of this. It's a process. yes, one just simply needs to learn moderation. But, you don't just say, "Oh, ok, I'm going to moderate now." It's a process of constantly trying and screwing up massively, then trying and screwing up. A few years later, you're moderating pretty good, but still slip. A few years after that, you got it under control. It's a long learning process.

I disagree. Do or do not, there is no try.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I need help on figuring out good substitutes for my trigger foods.
    My trigger foods are usually pizza, donuts, cake/cookies/pies/baked treats, and potato chips. Does anyone know any good substitutes to these foods? What are your trigger foods and how do you derail the cravings without giving in? :/

Cauliflower. I hear you can substitute it for just about anything.