birth control

Options
I'm going to go back on birth control soon since my PMS without it is causing severe bloating. But I'm concerned the pill will just make things worse. Anyone on a specific pill that they like that I could discuss with my doctor?

Replies

• bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've been on Alesse for the past 7 or 8 years and it's seemed to agree with my body well. I used to get intense pain and bloating and that's mostly gone now.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of the pill (all brands) is that they reduce those PMS symptoms.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tricyclen-Lo. Have been on it for about 4 years and have never had any side effects that I'm aware of, other than shorter, lighter cycles and a virtual absence of cramps(so awesome. I used to have terrible cramps and pretty heavy cycles).
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go back on birth control soon since my PMS without it is causing severe bloating. But I'm concerned the pill will just make things worse. Anyone on a specific pill that they like that I could discuss with my doctor?

I'm on one of the seasonal pills (whichever uses low vs no hormones during period week) and I love it. Spent a lot of time on depo (loved it, but had bone density issues) and also had the implanon for a couple years (had constant spotting and hated every minute). Only been on the pills for about a year, but I have no complaints yet.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I just went to the gyn two weeks ago - she put me on Yaz and she knows I'm trying to lose weight/get healthier. I haven't gained anything on it, yet.

Just talk to your doctor about your goals/concerns.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking birth control because it made my PMS systems worse (no matter which brand). Every period, I felt like I was going crazy. My mood swings were out of control, I was up, down, all around, and couldn't help but shove everything unhealthy thing under the sun in my face hole.

Since stopping the pill, exercising and eating healthy, I've noticed a drastic reduction in everything I hated about my period. Less cramps, less bloating, less fatigue, less cravings, and less (and not as severe) mood swings.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing some research--everyone's body will react differently to any type of medication. Research non-hormonal vs hormonal, pill vs patch vs shot vs IUD. Also let the gyno what your concerns are for yourself. I've personally tried the Mirena IUD and ended up having it removed due to horrendous acne breakouts and pelvic pain. I've been on the patch, which caused rashes wherever I placed it and well the shot did well for me however I gained a lot of weight on it. I'm going try pills to help with the acne and cramps but I'm not sure how it will pan out for me. Good luck to you.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking birth control because it made my PMS systems worse (no matter which brand). Every period, I felt like I was going crazy. My mood swings were out of control, I was up, down, all around, and couldn't help but shove everything unhealthy thing under the sun in my face hole.

Since stopping the pill, exercising and eating healthy, I've noticed a drastic reduction in everything I hated about my period. Less cramps, less bloating, less fatigue, less cravings, and less (and not as severe) mood swings.

Off topic, sorry - this is why I got on the pill to begin with. My gyn diagnosed with my PMDD. I was crazypants before my period and during ovulation. The first week of the pill was TERRIBLE. Then I started taking it at night instead of morning and I'm feeling a little better. Exercise helps, too. I'm sorry that you experience it, too - it such a terrible, out-of-control feeling.