Eating back the calories

Options
If my caloric goal is 1200, I burn 500. That means it need to eat 1700 cals. If my only goal is to lose weight couldn't I just eat 1200 cals and not workout for same results. If rather save an hour of cardio then eat an extra 500 cals

Replies

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Since I'm still trying to lose weight, I generally do not eat back my exercise calories. I make exceptions two days a week where my exercise is very long or intense and takes nutrition to get through (e.g. 2-3 hour run). I hate the idea of counting all of the Honey Stinger Waffles or GU's I eat during my run plus my recovery drink count as part of my day's totals when I've still burned quite a bit more calories than I have taken in. Overall, you are on the right track. The good news is that when you hit your goal, you can add those calories back and maintain. Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If my caloric goal is 1200, I burn 500. That means it need to eat 1700 cals. If my only goal is to lose weight couldn't I just eat 1200 cals and not workout for same results. If rather save an hour of cardio then eat an extra 500 cals

Yep, 100% if all the logging is correct.

When you start MFP your deficit is already built in and doesn't assume you will do any exercise. That's why you get them back, for proper fuel, nutrients, etc...

With that said, in multiple other treads, we've told you that 1200 is most likely too aggressive for you and where you're at with weight to lose.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    So you don't like food?? I workout 6 days a week because I love it. 1200 calories a day would make me want to kill people!!

Edited to add that some form of workout daily is good for you. You should incorporate atleast 30 minutes of activity into your daily routine because excercise is good for you.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Since I'm still trying to lose weight, I generally do not eat back my exercise calories. I make exceptions two days a week where my exercise is very long or intense and takes nutrition to get through (e.g. 2-3 hour run). I hate the idea of counting all of the Honey Stinger Waffles or GU's I eat during my run plus my recovery drink count as part of my day's totals when I've still burned quite a bit more calories than I have taken in. Overall, you are on the right track. The good news is that when you hit your goal, you can add those calories back and maintain. Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

Just for my clarification...

Are you advising a 26 yr old female with only 13lbs left to goal to net 700 calories per day?

Please see my response and explanation of what exercise calories are and how this MFP thing is set up.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

When you start MFP your deficit is already built in and doesn't assume you will do any exercise. That's why you get them back, for proper fuel, nutrients, etc...

With that said, in multiple other treads, we've told you that 1200 is most likely too aggressive for you and where you're at with weight to lose.

Yes, but her question was why even exercise. She would rather just eat 1200 than workout and have to eat 1700 :noway:

Edited because I apparently forgot how to spell...
  • RGv2
    Options

Yes, but her question was why even exercise. She would rather just eat 1200 than workout and have to eat 1700 :noway:

Edited because I apparently forgot how to spell...

Yep, I was answering that....

I just threw in the extra part as I've seen it pointed out to OP multiple times in the past day or so.
  • DonPendergraft
    Options

Are you advising a 26 yr old female with only 13lbs left to goal to net 700 calories per day?

Please see my response and explanation of what exercise calories are and how this MFP thing is set up.

Nope. As I stated, I would advise only eating back calories for particularly situations. She didn't list her fitness routine, so I will assume she's not out burning 2,000 calories. She needs to eat all of her calories. I think my "you are on the right track" could have been stated much better. What I mean is that she understands the concept, but she shouldn't actually do it unless warranted. Which it doesn't sound like it is.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Nope. As I stated, I would advise only eating back calories for particularly situations. She didn't list her fitness routine, so I will assume she's not out burning 2,000 calories. She needs to eat all of her calories. I think my "you are on the right track" could have been stated much better. What I mean is that she understands the concept, but she shouldn't actually do it unless warranted. Which it doesn't sound like it is.
    I'm not convinced you understand the concept. (Of MFP's calorie goal, that is).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Is your only goal weight loss? You don't have any desire to be healthier, stronger, faster, and have no ideal body composition in mind at the end of all of this?
  • RGv2
    Options

No, but OP stated eating 1200 calories and burning off 500 (of which the OP has made known their goal is 1200 cals in other threads).

You don't think that situation (taking in 1200 and burning off 500) would be warranted eating back calories? If so, then yes, that would be advising to net 700 calories.
  • DonPendergraft
    Options

No, but OP stated eating 1200 calories and burning off 500 (of which the OP has made known their goal is 1200 cals in other threads).

You don't think that situation (taking in 1200 and burning off 500) would be warranted eating back calories? If so, then yes, that would be advising to net 700 calories.

No, you are right. I'm confused. I think she should eat back most if no all of those calories. The numbers just seem so low. I would have to think that her body would need every bit of the 1,700 calories if she is exercising. Now excuse me while I duck out! ;)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Ok.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

OP stated either eating 1200 and doing nothing or burning 500 and eating 1700.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. That being said 1200 is crazy low for most people.
  • JennyBilyeu
    JennyBilyeu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 cal a day and it's working good for me. I eat healthy, and I'm not starving myself. I don't feel the need to binge at all, as I can fit little bits in here and there and still be at my daily goal. I also do moderate exercise, as my job is mostly up and down stairs (now that I have stopped using the elevator). Sometimes I record it, sometimes I don't. I feel so much better with the portion control, and eating the right food. I hear so many negative comments on 1200 calorie diets, yet if you do it right, eat the right foods, and you are mentally good with it, I truly don't see the problem. I have 103 lbs to lose. For someone to go from 3600 calories a day down to 1200 and be fine...I think it's for each individual person to decide what is good for them. I love the support, and the positive criticism, yet where does the line cross from positive criticism to judgment...especially if you don't know the individuals situation/health and mental status? I mean no harm, and hope I'm not offending anyone. This is just the opinion of a fat girl who needs support...not an "oh my gosh your dumb for doing that" lecture.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    They say diet to look good in clothes
    Exercise to look good naked.

I eat 1200 cals but eat back what I burn, without it, my 1200 cals wouldn't allow for the treats I want.

Good luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Yes - this is how it works. The calorie deficit is built in with ZERO exercise.

Now, exercise has many additional fitness & health benefits.

Strength - to keep existing muscle mass (while eating at a moderate deficit).

Cardio - to help with stamina & endurance.

I do the amount of exercise I plan to keep doing even after the weight is off. This too is a lifestyle change for me.