Stalkers

Options
I downloaded some pics form one of my friends and when I imported it into my photo software it gave me the exact location of their picture! It happened to be in front of their house, so now I have the exact gps coordinates of their house. This person has no reason to care but YOU might. Please be aware that if you take a picture with a smart phone this information might be available online. Be careful out there.

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Wow! Will have to look into that. I know I can turn my GPS on and off, one would assume that would take care of the problem.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    At least on my Droid, there is an option to turn off the location tagging in photos. I definitely recommend people turn off this feature, I read an article on the NY Times about how it can be used by criminals and the like.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Just checked my iPhone and it was turned on. You can turn it off by going to settings -> general -> location services -> and then turn it off for the features you don't want using it.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As well on my Droid phone I keep mine off too. Always have always will... but great to see you bring it to other ppls attention.. never know who gets ahold of your pics out there..
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good to know - thanks for sharing!
  • Snowbunny95
    Snowbunny95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Found on my iPhone that tagging turned on will also slow down photo taking. Turned this off just to speed my phone up!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have a generic phone. About 5 years old, no texting, no internet, no GPS, no fancy stuff. Just plain phone calls and piece of mind
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you want to turn off geotagging on your phone.
  • Beach_Chica
    Options
    Is it only on smart phones?
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for sharing. My brother and some of my neices have the Iphones. When I told them, they had no idea. They have turn that off!!!
  • FlashBang
    Options
    Is it only on smart phones?

I am sure some fancy cameras have the feature. The program I use is picasa3 a free google down load. If you want to check your own pics I would suggest you down load it, it will be real clear real fast if your pics have this data embedded. It is great and pulls up maps if the data is available. I took pics in Haiti and the info is great for that.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I have boost mobile with camera. I'll see if my phone has that feature. thanks for letting us know. :smile:

I had location settings, not geo..but i have it turned off..only available to emergency officials only.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    One more reason I refuse to own a cell phone!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I have a generic phone. About 5 years old, no texting, no internet, no GPS, no fancy stuff. Just plain phone calls and piece of mind

My phone is pretty new, but I am on a prepaid plan so I am in the same boat as you! Only phone calls and expensive texting that I try not to use ^u^v
  • jenocelot
    Options
    This is why I don't post my running on the net -- you can, w garmin gps. Don't want my ex to know where I go running, alone, duuuh...he IS a stalker complete with order of protection against him. Fun to post pics but let's stay safe! Thanks for reminder.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Good info to know. Thanks!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Given some of the bathroom self portraits I have seen, I now have a GPS location of where they go potty!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hence why I keep it real with the LG Lotus flip phone :tongue:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Scary! I just have a Samsung Gravity 2 from T-Mobile. I'm not at all technologically savvy. Is my phone safe or is there something I need to turn off? :huh:
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Hence why I keep it real with the LG Lotus flip phone :tongue:

Haha keeping it real son

Thanks for the info