Stuck: Small framed people with low goals

Okay hello everyone!

I am posting because I am about 5"7- 5"8 and 126 lbs with a goal of 120. My reason for this goal is because I do modeling, and ironically, I am larger than I need to be for most agencies . I know I am still considered on the thin healthy side. I have noticed at a lower weight ( on a very small frame) I was able to fit clothing better and be more comfortable! And still look healthy. This may sound like an unrealistic goal, but my frame is so small I can manage it. My frame is small due to wrist measurement and people think I weigh more than I do haha!

Currently I have been eating between 1200-1600 calories a day and netting about 1000-1200 using a fitbit! I have been stuck here forever and do strength training and cardio. I'm trying to be HEALTHY not ridiculous about it.

Any advice to break the plateau? Im not far off just looking if someone else has achieved it. I do eat some meat, I love to have wine and chocolate etc. I've gotten my thyroid checked too and it seems to be okay! I've accepted my body may just like this weight for me so that's fine- I just want to know if it's possible and thoughts on upping calories or changing the types of food I eat. I know it's tempting to go lower in cals but no way lol.

Please be sensitive this post is not intended to insult anyone as I know different weights look different on everyone and my goal is personal ~ xoxo And congrats to those who have achieved their goals!!!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Just an idea (and I have no idea what its like to be a model so I could be way off the wall here), but cut back some on carbs and sodium, and see if a drop in water weight shows up on your body to. If so you could treat jobs and interviews like wrestlers treat their weight ins and drop the water weight at that time. Other days just try to maintain the weight you are currently at.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    A plateau is just a word people use when they assume they're doing everything right and their bodies are magically holding onto extra weight. If you're "plateauing", you're not eating at a deficit. I would suggest using a food scale to check your portions if you aren't already. Also if you're eating back exercise calories, it's possible that you're burn estimates are incorrect. When you're already very slim, you have to be as accurate as possible with your logging. The smaller you are, the less calories you need, the more difficult it is to create a deficit without being starving.
  • Thanks guys. Yes I will use a food scale! And most certainly will try doing lower carbs and sodium. Thanks guys :)
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    It's possible you're suffering some metabolic damage. This guy talks about it and how to fix it. Although the fix takes some patience, if you can take some time off from modeling to do it, you might want to give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

He ums and ahs a lot though the video, so watching it takes some patience too. :smile:
  • Awh thanks for the post!! Update been having issues with the scale.. mine said124... gym 126.. same day same day same clothes... this morning fasting for dr 122 with clothes maybe my scale was off??
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    yeah it is pretty much a waste of your time to compare readings from various scales, they mean nothing together, pick one scale and use it every time under the same conditions (this is why people usually weigh naked right after they get up and have used the restroom, it is about the best scenario you can get to eliminate variables)

you will also go through fluctuations due to water retention resulting form high carb intake or high sodium days, or low days if you are a bit dehydrated or ate light (in your example you had fasted so had less in your system). This is normal. Take weights a few days in a row to figure out what your normal fluctuations are. TOM causes most ladies to gain a lb or two and then it drops off when it goes away, so thats another thing to keep in mind.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Also if you're eating back exercise calories, it's possible that you're burn estimates are incorrect. When you're already very slim, you have to be as accurate as possible with your logging. The smaller you are, the less calories you need, the more difficult it is to create a deficit without being starving.

This
  • yeah it is pretty much a waste of your time to compare readings from various scales, they mean nothing together, pick one scale and use it every time under the same conditions (this is why people usually weigh naked right after they get up and have used the restroom, it is about the best scenario you can get to eliminate variables)

you will also go through fluctuations due to water retention resulting form high carb intake or high sodium days, or low days if you are a bit dehydrated or ate light (in your example you had fasted so had less in your system). This is normal. Take weights a few days in a row to figure out what your normal fluctuations are. TOM causes most ladies to gain a lb or two and then it drops off when it goes away, so thats another thing to keep in mind.

You are totally right- I know its pretty much logic and yes seeing the fluctuations and drops across the board is most important. Thank you for the insight.
  • Also if you're eating back exercise calories, it's possible that you're burn estimates are incorrect. When you're already very slim, you have to be as accurate as possible with your logging. The smaller you are, the less calories you need, the more difficult it is to create a deficit without being starving.

This

VERY true. I try to underestimate calorie burn and put in that I weigh less on fitbit but I can see what you mean. I'm sure its very difficult to get a full picture of how much you really burn. For instance my fitbit said I did 6.72 equating to roughly 400-500 cals I'm thinking I was off for food calculations somehow. I often wondered if I was eating too little at times... sometimes I feel I would over estimate and sometimes under. Moral of the story should be to be as accurate as possible :wink: and I probably secretly just want to eat more lol So I can try to find healthy low calorie foods that I love and eat more of that