golfers, question about balls...

_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,646 Member
I'd ask a golf forum, but the more specialized forums are total nutjobs.

I have about 5 dozen "refurbished" Pro VI's that I got on a black Friday sale because they were $9 a dozen.

I'm usually not picky about balls past wanting a urethane covered ball but I was wondering what kind of performance to expect out of "refurbs".

Most forums I've checked say they're garbage but I don't trust the "experts" there who probably are 18 cappers worried about the performance of X vs. VI's when they can't even make solid contact on most shots.

TIA.

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Sooo.... you thought that a fitness forum would yield better results about a very specific type of golf ball than a specialized golf forum?

In for GIFs. Don't disappoint me. :wink:
  • _John_
    Sooo.... you thought that a fitness forum would yield better results about a very specific type of golf ball than a specialized golf forum?

In for GIFs. Don't disappoint me. :wink:
    yeah, you get more average joes who just golf and aren't that type of "nerd". Figured it was worth a shot.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Sorry, can't help you with your "ball quality" question. However, I knew a guy who broke his leg at a golf course. He fell off the ball washer.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    lol
    Balls.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    The state of your balls is really secondary to the quality of your shaft.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Not really sure what level of complexity is involved in refurbishing. Although they probably just replace the outer casing and keep the inner contacts as they were. I can tell you $9 for a dozen of them is a steal! Normally they go for about $5+ for a sleeve of 3. Best of luck with your balls though!
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Wasn't _noob_ looking for balls a few months ago? Too bad he's gone! :cry:
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    I am an average golfer but you are still talking well above my knowledge level of balls. I personally like Callaway and I like softer balls, they are say they are better for controlled shots not that refers to my game.

I would trust refurbs. Hell I hit balls I found sitting in water for a year
  • _John_
    The state of your balls is really secondary to the quality of your shaft.

Derp, I probably have a top of the line as of 2011, high kick point stiff shaft in my driver, and stiff flex steel in all my irons and hack sticks.

As a tinkerer, the new adjustable face angles and lofts on drivers is just a dream considering the club tinkering I use to do. I just have an R11sTP, but I'm in heaven.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Sorry, can't help you with your "ball quality" question. However, I knew a guy who broke his leg at a golf course. He fell off the ball washer.

i2jadw.gif
    15dx8d5.gif
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I'd ask a golf forum, but the more specialized forums are total nutjobs.

I have about 5 dozen "refurbished" Pro VI's that I got on a black Friday sale because they were $9 a dozen.

I'm usually not picky about balls past wanting a urethane covered ball but I was wondering what kind of performance to expect out of "refurbs".

Most forums I've checked say they're garbage but I don't trust the "experts" there who probably are 18 cappers worried about the performance of X vs. VI's when they can't even make solid contact on most shots.

TIA.

I use both refubished and new balls, and i can't feel a difference between them.

New or used - I still lose balls in the woods/water
    - I still slice like a bad mother trucker
    - I still shoot par on a few holes a round
    - I still manage a birdie on occasion
    - I still duff them or top them

New or used matters not to me. I go for what can I afford to buy regularly.
    Pending a decent sale on new, I buy used/refurbished

Currently swinging a set of Rocketballz driver, woods, irons. Stage 1.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    i havent played in awhile, but i always wash my balls.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Most of the "refurbs" are ones found in the weeds and the ponds, right? I do like the Pro V1s because i seem to be able to hit them a little better, and they even have a little action on the greens, where I normally wouldn't have any. To give you a gauge, my handicap is so high I don't think it can be calculated.

So I have bought a lot of used golf balls in my time, and i get new ones for birthdays and christmas, and I am honestly not good enough to tell the difference. I am sure there are small differences here and there for people who have the time to pour into the game, but I think that the used balls will stack up nicely.
  • _John_
    I accidentally had a tour prestige 90 in my bad the last time I played, and those just don't go very far...too bad I noticed off the tee on a short part 5.
  • wolverine66
    to satisfy the gif request
    tumblr_lrvw8fej0q1qlzduwo1_400.gif
  • _John_
    I've always found the covers on the pro VI's to be the most durable. I chew up cheaper urethane balls with my wedges.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Show me your balls, and I'll tell you what I think. I know nothing about golf, I just wanna see your balls. :drinker:
  • wolverine66
    and for fun, I just googled this, and there have been tests done:

http://www.knetgolf.com/topic/36-golf_ball_testing.aspx
  • _John_
    and for fun, I just googled this, and there have been tests done:

http://www.knetgolf.com/topic/36-golf_ball_testing.aspx

thanks for that...most forum guys would say refurbs are garbage and you'd lose 10-20 yards (basically the yardage gained by buying a the current 2014 model driver vs. a late 2013 model, according to forums).
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    45ee071ce251fd98ef66f1269202731cbd249fecaf631e2c69b15ee9da1b2c36.jpg