Iifym friends or group

Options
Woukd love to join a group or have some friends doing IIFYM. I started this a week ago and am enjoying it. I eat clean, but have one talenti ice cream pop if there's room. It really just forces me to hit a calorie and protein goal, I am typically under those by a lot if I don't track.

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding support for IIFYM on MFP. The groups show one group but no one is active in it. I'm really surprised there's not more on here for IIFYM.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    *adds friends*

time to make a secret club of IIFYM lovers.
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Yes I'm really surprised that there's not a more active group for IIFYM. I found a Private women's group with their facebook page but I didn't see a whole lot of activity on the group here in MFP.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    There is an IIFYM group. It's not terribly active, but people do keep an eye on it.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    We could all join the group and make it more active.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Probably 70% of the folks here are doing IIFYM. The main boards are full of posters using that diet approach, including many of the regular posters. I would imagine it should be easier to find IIFYM friends here over any other diet.
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    We could all join the group and make it more active.

Ok I'll join and see if anyone follows and if we can get it more active!
  • lauralea42
    lauralea42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Laura. I am 42 yrs old, 5'7" and 158 lbs. My fat % is 27.6 right now. I have been dieting for 20 weeks. At first I was eating around 1200 calories a day. I lost weight, but I plateaued. I had a fitness trainer help me by figuring my BMR and the amount of calories I should be eating daily to lose weight. This is 1520 cal/day with maintenance at 2027 cal. Well, for the past four weeks I have plateaued AGAIN! A female friend of mine that is into body building suggested I go to IIFYM.com to figure my calories and macros. All I have been doing in to the past was watching calories, but she told me I need to watch proteins, carbs, and fats also. Well, when I did the calculator it told me that I should be eating 1740 cal/day (at aggressive 20%). I freaked out. Wow....I feel that if I am not losing weight at 1520 calories, isn't 1740 calories a day gonna make me GAIN weight??? She told me to stay off the scale for a couple weeks because I may gain weight as my body gets used to the extra calories, but if I follow the macros then I will start losing weight again. My main question to you is....do you feel 1740 calories a day is to high? Will I lose weight while eating this many calories?? Any suggestions you have will be appreciated! I had never heard of IIFYM until tonight.
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Are you working out also, doing weights? I did this plan about a year ago and I did lose eating the amount recommended and hitting the macros but only when I was working out pretty aggressively. I had an injury and my working out stopped so I stopped the higher eating plan. Now I'm back to a pretty aggressive work out schedule including weight training so I'm trying the IIFYM way again.

So I'd say if you are training and working out, you won't gain, but I'd be careful if you aren't working out.
  • lauralea42
    lauralea42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week. Have been doing High Intensity Interval Training, but hurt my ankle a week ago and taking it slow. Maybe I should wait until I can do HIIT again to go up on calories. Thanks!!!!
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Laura - you might try setting your goal for a little under - like maybe 1500 and set your macros to where they should be and then follow that for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I like the idea of staying with my macros - I just have a hard time bumping up my calorie too high unless I am really doing the weight training. If you haven't followed IIFYM you might be surprised at how much tweaking you need to do to hit those macros.