Need "dry food" ideas

Options
I am going to be staying with a friend of mine while I get back on my feet with a new job I'm starting. The first thing he warned me about was that his roommate and roommate's kid and gf eat all the food that's in the fridge, whether they bought it or not. To avoid the drama of me freaking out on these people for eating my food, I decided I would try to eat foods I can keep in my room and don't need to use the refrigerator for, but all I can think of is tuna and crackers or granola bars...anyone have any better suggestions?

Replies

• mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, apples, bananas, oranges...

I like those "soup to go" things, but they can be high in sodium.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Granola, cereal, crackers, roasted soynuts, nuts, kale chips. Almond, soy, or dairy milk in single-serve aseptic packages. Canned soups. Ramen(?!). Noodle soup that comes as a package with dry noodles and a flavor packet. Dried fruit. Most fresh fruit, actually, if you buy it in small enough quantities so you'll eat it all by the time it's ripe. Smoked herring in cans (very good on bread). Small loaves of bread (again, in quantities you can eat without it going bad first). Jerky-type meat snack sticks (like Slim Jims. . . there are some very good local/health food versions of those you can find at natural food stores).

I imagine you'd get tired of eating this stuff pretty fast-- any way you can find a mini fridge and keep it in your (locked) room for fresh foods that need refrigeration?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. Costco sells some really tasty versions.

Nuts.

Baked goods. You don't have to refrigerate them but you have to eat them before they go stale.
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    Oh, and whey protein!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I will get a mini fridge eventually, but im so behind on bills I have to prioritize my money and pay debts first, then can spend money on things like that....#firstworldproblems
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    See this is why I needed y'all....these are some great ideas
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I second the mini-fridge if you can afford it. We just bought a small beverage fridge on Amazon for about $200. We'll be using it to store cold sodas and beer but it could be used for food, too, and has a lock and a light when you open it. It does have a glass door, though, so people could see what's in it. Check Craig's list for used ones if you can't afford one new.

Otherwise, protein bars, fruit leather, bread, deviled ham, mayo in little packets (snitch a couple from a local sandwich shop), Uncle Ben rice pouches.
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    I will get a mini fridge eventually, but im so behind on bills I have to prioritize my money and pay debts first, then can spend money on things like that....#firstworldproblems

I wondered about that after I posted. Sorry. :/ I understand!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have to eat a lot of this kind of food for my job. My go-tos are pouches of smoked salmon and tuna, cherry tomatoes, mini bell peppers, string cheese, low fat pudding cups, apples, nuts (in moderation), jerky. Even those things that sound like they should be in the fridge are good for several days unrefrigerated. Good luck!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oats, protein bars, all kinds of nuts and seeds,
  • princesswarrior1
    princesswarrior1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The above are all great ideas. I would like to add Snapea Crisps.

http://harvestsnaps.com/products/snapea-crisps-lightly-salted
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Tinned soups.

Tinned ratatouille.

Noodles that just need a quick soak in hot water before using.

Rice cakes or oatcakes
    A jar of Marmite.
    Tinned fish - endless varieties, I like the ones in tomato sauce.
    Peanut butter or variants - I like pumpkin seed butter.
    Nuts and seeds.
    Roast chickpeas or broad beans (garbanzos)