Crotchety old man needs help from you whipper-snappers ;)

Options
ayron102
ayron102 Posts: 17 Member
Hi - I'm Aaron, I'm 30 (ok, so just that extra dude I'm hauling wrapped around my midsection makes me FEEL older), in the Milwaukee area and decided I have two choices right now:

a) mmm left over steak
or
b) introduce myself, spend many more minutes writing/then deleting/then rewriting this message - and by that time, its much closer to dinner time!

So here are the details:
30, 5' 11", 330 lbs. I had a huge drinking problem (many wisconsinites are afraid to admit this is true - 0.5 bottle a night of vodka habit) and have stopped drinking about a month ago. I feel much better already, but now it's time to exercise and get on the proper eating bandwagon.

First off, I've been doing what I call fit-person-word-vomit. What Is THAT?! For example: a buddy of mine at work just said earlier that he was going to walk around the building - and I practically shouted "YOU WANT COMPANY?!" I had to get that out there - because I'm a man of my word - and I will follow through if he says yes. He said yes, and I had a quick 5 minute puff-puff trotting time while he gracefully slinked across the pavement with his perfect marathon-runner's footsteps. So fit-person-word-vomit is just exclaiming your JOY (not so much) for any chance to exercise what-so-ever! Elevator's broken? I'LL RACE YOU UP THE STEPS. You get the point.

Second, I have immersed myself in morning exercise and paid for a trainer. Funny thing is: if I add up the chips, junk food, damn-chicken-nuggets, the drinks, and cut out that expense, I came up EXACTLY EVEN with the cost of the trainer. Good choice right?

Anyway - that's all for now. Hoping to hear from you all. I really could use the well-wishing/encouragement - I've never really reached out about weight before - and I've always failed before. This time, I've changed the way I'm going to approach it.

OH - and for a limited time - for each friend request or message, you'll get one FREE winky-face or smiley from me - yes, that's a whole emoji free of charge! ACT NOW!

-aaron

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Do I count as a whipper snapper if I'm 10 years older than you? Good on you for facing up to your demons and admitting you need help. Are you doing AA or anything to address your drinking? I did a food related 12 step programme and attended some AA meetings - I found them really inspiring and encouraging. Eating well and investing in your well being can seem expensive but when you add up the amount of money spent on crap it really is a good investment isn't it. Best of luck.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. And congratulations on one month of being alcohol-free. You seem to be pretty enthusiastic about making a lifestyle change, and I think that's awesome. Just remember that you don't have to do everything all at once, and becoming healthier doesn't necessarily mean no longer eating the foods you like. Making small, sustainable changes over time is one of the best ways to replace old, unhealthy habits with permanent, healthier ones. A lot of people have used this site to assist them with their goals. Many fail, many succeed. Remain serious about changing your life, and remain willing to fight no matter how hard it becomes, and I have no doubt you will be one of the many successes. I highly recommend the following link as a great starting guide: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck, and feel free to add me.