Best machines at the gym?

Options
Hello! I have been overweight for all of my teens years and now into my early 20's. Being heavier now than I EVER have before I'm looking for the best machines at the gym that would burn the most calories without overworking myself in a very intense workout that I can't handle at the moment. I really don't think running is an option at this stage of my just starting out. The gym I joined keeps promising to have the personal trainer call so I can get in with them but I think that's a pipe dream at this point because I never have received any calls and I have been with them for months (and fell off the band wagon for a while but I'm back now). No big deal that they didn't call, really. I just kinda wanted someone to tell me I was going on the right track/what to do first. I do walk a mile on the treadmill and bike about 2 or 3 miles depending on the day. But what really is my best bet? Which machines should I be doing to lose the most weight/calories?

Replies

• HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I would ask about the personal trainer again. Other than that I found a recumbant exercise bike was a great way to start.
  • justformyself23
    justformyself23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I have asked about it since but it seems to be at no avail. I just guess I need that extra reassurance and just kinda wanted someone to help me get on the right path. Me and my mom go work out together so sometimes we'll venture off and just try new machines randomly for a few minutes at a time. I found that the elliptical killed my knees so I'm not so sure I'm ready for that one yet but I do like the bikes. :)
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical is always the best choice. With the treadmill, you might be tempted to walk too much. I sometimes use the bike but I find that because I'm kind of just sitting there moving my legs, it doesn't really elevate my heart rate as much. With the elliptical I am moving my arms and legs and it doesn't hurt too badly.

The stair stepper machine is a curse from the pits of hell.
  • lissymae11
    lissymae11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I thought the eliptical was a really good first choice for me. It wasn't so hard that I got discouraged and quit, but it helped me to work up my endurance to where I could start running and doing other things as well.

I would also highly recommend finding a class you like - for me it was cycling. When working out is fun, you don't even realize it's work. With the cycling, I liked that the instructor would tell us what resistance to put the bike on, etc. but since I was very out of shape, I had the freedom to customize it a little bit. So you have guidelines, but you can tweak it so you're not killing yourself!