High Protein Vegetarian Dinners

Options
2»

Replies

• fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great thread just what I needed.

I made paneer cheese yesterday, it's high in protein, lower fat content than cheddar, keeps its shape like halloumi when you heat it, it's lovely in spinach curry but I also think it would make great kebabs with other veggies threaded on a skewer.

1.5 litres whole milk
    4 tablespoons lemon juice (or cider vinegar)

Bring milk to a gentle steamy simmer, take off heat, stir in lemon juice, it will curdle. Leave for 10 min to be sure it's all curdled, line a sieve with muslin cloth, strain the mixture, squeeze well. Leave it in the cloth, flatten it out a bit but keep it tightly wrapped and place between 2 plates/ chopping boards, with weights on top like tins of beans and leave to set in fridge for 1.5 hours and you're done, ready to chop into squares and eat or add to a salad, stir fry etc, pop into a curry. It's quite bland in flavour you can add salt before squeezing or it will also take on flavours like curry, spices when you cook.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    KkYdCh1.jpg
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Good thread! :-)
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the recipes I have logged:

Quinoa and spinach patties from SkinnyTaste.com - I used both kale and spinach and left out the parmesan (since it's typically not vegetarian) and my patties were 104 calories each with 5 grams of protein and 14 grams of carbs. I used a 1/4 cup measure to ensure my patties were all the same size. For dinner you would have 2 patties and serve with your fave veggies/salad. I also served mine with a salsa because they were a little dry (most likely because I skipped the parmesan). If you eat quorn/fake meats you could also serve them with that for extra protein.

My favourite simple side dish is spiced chickpeas with red capsicum, onion and mushroom. I season with garlic powder, mixed italian herbs, paprika and cumin. A 115 gram serve is 86 calories and 5 grams of protein. Goes great with vegetarian sausages.

Indian lentil cauliflower soup from the Oh She Glows cookbook. I subbed carrots for the sweet potato and got 8 serves out of the recipes. One serve is 196 calories and 14 grams of protein.

Spinach and feta pie, also from SkinnyTaste.com - her stats say 126 calories a serve with 8.8 grams of protein. I deviated from the recipe slightly and got 111 calories a serve with 6 grams of protein.

Veggie fried quinoa - basically just making fried rice but using quinoa instead. My version is 309 calories a serve with 10 grams of protein.

Quinoa chili from DamnDelicious.net - my version is 304 calories a serve with 13 grams of protein. You could serve it with your non-fat yoghurt instead of sour cream for extra protein.

One pan Mexican quinoa also from DamnDelicious.net - my version has 468 calories a serve (from memory I did big serves, it could definitely go to 6 serves if you have some greek yoghurt or a salad with it) and 18 grams of protein.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I like pre made Chipotle black bean burgers.