When you make a doctors jaw drop!

Options
matthehat
matthehat Posts: 38 Member
So, I still have a little ways to go (about 70 pounds left). But so far I have lost 60 pounds. I had to do a physical in order to go into the police academy (this was around six months ago). Not only did I completely tank this physical, the doctor made a STRONG suggestion that I go see a Cardiologist, in fact he made me an appointment while I was sitting there lol. Oh and I was 21 at the time had blood pressure reading of 150/100 and a resting heart rate of 120+ BPM. Needless to say I was in terrible shape and there was no way the police academy was in my near future. Went to the cardiologist, he couldn't believe I was 21 and had these readings. I did the stress test and a simple very light treadmill jog brought my heart rate up to 190 I had to stop because I was getting dizzy. He told me straight up that if I keep going the way I am that I would not hit 40. Also note that my dad has had two heart attacks and my grandfather had THREE. He said normally he would prescribe blood pressure medication which he had never done with someone my age. After reading the side effects of it we both looked at each other and said no way. I joined a gym and starting working out very hard, however my diet of fast food everyday didn't change. It wasn't until I moved to Colorado that I discovered counting calories and it has changed my life! I cut out all fast food, soda and junk and only eat clean now. I went to get my blood pressure checked as well as a whole physically just out of curiosity.
Blood Pressure reading: 120/80
Resting heart rate: 80bpm
Told the doctor my readings seven months ago and she couldn't believe it. Sorry this was so long and drawn out lol today was probably one of the best I've had in a while!
Starting weight 345
Current weight 270

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Yes you would have died. Great job! Congrats on your success.
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you! I bet you are just feeling super. Enjoy that hard earned feeling, and keep at it!
  • Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! :D
  • EmmyRose
    EmmyRose Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love reading these stories.
    That is a crazy reading for a 21 year old, to have such high BPM's and blood pressure.
    But now your stats are pretty much perfect!
    Way to go. If I were you I would be so proud of myself, I'm sure you are.
    Well done
  • BlazingBella
    BlazingBella Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're awesome. That's an amazing turn around. Seriously. Fantastic job. Congratulations on your success and keep up the great work!
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing success story. Good for you!!!! It is always nice to hear and see about the "hidden" benefits of a healthy lifestyle. These are things I sometimes forget about but they are super important. Great job!!!!!
  • MEK1960
    MEK1960 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nice! Keep on going, you are heading for a long, happy, healthy life!
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Kiddos
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Well done you! What a fantastic feeling that must have been. You have done brilliantly :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! Interesting about Colorado. What is it about this cool state that helped you discover calorie counting? Were the residents generally healthier?
  • matthehat
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :) definitely one of those days that makes you realize its all worth it!
  • matthehat
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! Interesting about Colorado. What is it about this cool state that helped you discover calorie counting? Were the residents generally healthier?

Well at least the town I live in Fort Collins, everyone seems to be living the healthy life style! This guy at my work lost over 100 pounds by counting calories. I didn't believe him until he showed me his before pictures. Trust me when I say I have tried A LOT of different diets, was taking fat burning pills and everything under the sun. I actually just discovered MFP about a month and a half ago, I was writing everything down before lol a lot of work.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Way to turn it around dude :) great going, congrats.
  • knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on the much improved health and shedding pounds! You look great and sounds like you feel terrific!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Fantastic you should be so proud of your achievement and greatly improved health
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So happy for you. Keep up the great work and good luck with your journey.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.... you have not just improved your health, you have saved your life. Is the police academy now back in the books for the future? :)
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I'm so happy to hear you won't be following in your dad's footsteps, atleast when it comes to your heart! You look amazing!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Well at least the town I live in Fort Collins, everyone seems to be living the healthy life style! This guy at my work lost over 100 pounds by counting calories. I didn't believe him until he showed me his before pictures. Trust me when I say I have tried A LOT of different diets, was taking fat burning pills and everything under the sun. I actually just discovered MFP about a month and a half ago, I was writing everything down before lol a lot of work.

Have you started using the barcode scanner to enter stuff yet??? Your mind will be blown.

Great job on getting your health under control!!! that's a great NSV!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Are you trying out for he academy now?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!