do you do low carb...what is your daily intake?

Options
reneeot
reneeot Posts: 773 Member
Thought be nice for those thinking of doing low carb what others are having success with.

Are you losing 1-2 lbs a week on low carb? Curious what low carb is to you personally? And do you just eat veggies or other carbs(potato/rice/oat/fruit).

Thank you!

Replies

• amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I consider myself as doing 'low carb', though I get almost 100g/day. I couldn't imagine going lower, I would have to cut back a lot on veggies, which I'm not willing to do.

I don't do it for some mythical curse of carbs, I'm doing it because that's what's gotta go to make room for my protein... It's hard getting 100g protein, while restricting calories! Plus, I do find that carbs don't keep me as full... I like to keep some carbs, though, as veggies also add the most visual volume, and are very nutrient dense. So I like the combi of salad + protein = A full plate that keeps me full for ages.

I'm losing an average of 1.9lbs/week
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Im with amblight...I do a 60/ 20/20 for the most part but ultimately I look to my calories....Im new with this type of "diet" although I dont really like calling it that. Im managing the types of carbs I eat more now in addition to restricting intake to 1700 per day. Ive cut out corn white rice and white/ap flours and white bread and sodas completely. If I get the urge for something I log it.....im trying to log before I eat so that I can see what it is and it makes me think twice on some things.

I will usually eat egg whites but if I plan ahead I will sometimes eat fresh tuna or salmon....im tired of poultry and am staying away from red meat as much as possible.

Hope this helps.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100-150g per day. That's what my body operates best on. But it varies enormously from one person to the next - be prepared to experiment a bit and note how you feel.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thought be nice for those thinking of doing low carb what others are having success with.

Are you losing 1-2 lbs a week on low carb? Curious what low carb is to you personally? And do you just eat veggies or other carbs(potato/rice/oat/fruit).

Thank you!

I am doing 150mg per day. Finding it difficult to get in enough fiber and protein without going over my daily carb intake. I will have to do some research on low carb foods also plan my eating a lot more.

I am a non-meat eater, also no chicken, seafood, tofu/soy/eggs. It is difficult, but I am liking I so far.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds ....hj gh fiber...gnc sells in seed form or ground form...I add ground flax seeds to items sometimes.
  • tattooedillini26
    tattooedillini26 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try and stick to around 100 g carbs a day

I am more lenient on the really good carbs, like veggies and fruits. I stick to all whole grain, and even found pita with flaxseed. It generally fluctuates depending on how much I do or do not workout that day
  • dmarco1985
    dmarco1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The healthy fats in flax seeds break down quickly when ground so it's better to get the whole ones and put them through a food processor/coffee grinder rather than buying them ground.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm very low carb, T2D here, soooo I eat to my meter. That means less than 20 g per day, all coming from veggies, cheese etc.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I used to follow low carb. When I did, I was aiming for about 60g a day. I did not eat any "regular" carbs (rice, oatmeal, bread, potatoes), just veggies (broccoli, green beans, carrots, etc.).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm very low carb, T2D here, soooo I eat to my meter. That means less than 20 g per day, all coming from veggies, cheese etc.

That is really low. I could not do that. The lowest I would be able to go is: 100mg per day.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

That is really low. I could not do that. The lowest I would be able to go is: 100mg per day.

yep-ahh :ohwell: my quality of life depends on it, so I soldier on :wink:
    socajam?...Trini by any chance?
  • skimbo82
    skimbo82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Not being weird but just asking... Do you mean 100mg per day, as in 0.1g coz that's crazy low!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb since January 2012 for management of PCOS primarily. The majority of the time, I'm at or below 20g net carbs per day, all from veggies. Although I do tend to indulge in quest bars and LC tortillas lately. The only fruits I eat are berries, unless you count the tomatoes and avocados. When I'm not around 20g, I increase up to 50g. I don't really feel restricted most times, but I do allow myself carby indulgences for special occasions.

I lose 1-2lbs a week if I'm eating a deficit and low carb. I lose a bit slower if I'm not low carb, but it all boils down to the calories. Low carb just helps a lot of people stay satisfied at a stricter deficit.
  • strk
    strk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just started up again here and am doing 1200 cal + low carb (< 50g). I will probably stay on this for a few weeks and then go a bit easier on myselr. I don't find it too difficult to do, it's just a matter of eating lots of salad/avo/fish and veggies.
  • shayman1975
    Options
    I am doing the Tim noakes "banting diet"

I have 20g carbs/127g fat and 102g protein per day allowance on 1630calories per day
    I mostly overshoot the carbs to a region of about 50g per day low enough to try and keep my body in ketosis

Don't come close to the fat though normally have about 40-60g fat left per day and normally still have minimum 300-600calories left per day too

The fat intake reduces your bodies craving for carbs and you start burning your body fat as energy
    Go look at the website of Tim Naokes www.originaleating.org
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Im doing under 100 but thinking about lowering. See how june goes.