Lunch ideas

Options
I am a teacher so I don't have the ability to leave school for lunch. Instead, I have to pack a lunch. Does anyone have any good ideas of something I can take to lunch that is delicious AND healthy? I am trying to stay away from Lean Cuisines or other frozen (and high in sodium) dinners. I need something that is easy to prepare but sometimg I will enjoy (and look forward to eating). I'm not the worlds greatest cook so simplicity is a must.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks,

Rhonda

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave??

If so, pretty much anything you can cook at home can be brought in to be reheated for lunch. :smile:

Even if there is no refrigerator, I would think it would be fine in an insulated lunch bag or box for a few hours.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    is there a trader joes in your area? They have several freshly prepared low-calorie salads. The low-fat greek one only has 140 calories WITH dressing. My new favorite is the roasted beet salad. Think it's around 260 with dressing (180 without).
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm a big fan of soups/stews,, especially in the winter...and you can always add extra veggies etc. to fill them out more.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I always pack lunch- usually some kind of sandwich- Turkey or chicken usually and a piece of fruit (with a morning snack-veggie+hummus- and an afternoon snack- greek yogurt or luna bar). Sometimes I do a grilled chicken salad, but on those days I pack an extra snack cuz even with the chicken, I get hungry again pretty quickly.

I know it sounds kind of boring, but it gives a lot of flexibility for dinners. Also try to keep high protein in your breakfast (eggs or pb) and that will keep you fuller and you can start snacking later.
  • janalenee
    janalenee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check out www.amys.com - She has MANY LOW CAL LOW SODIUM frozen meals! They are very good!

Another option I have been doing is wraps with tuna and hummus with lettuce and other veggies.

Feel free to look at my diary and see some of my lunches.

Good Luck! :D
  • ardnek77
    Options
    I rotate between 3 lunches during the week:

1. Whole wheat pita, sliced cucumbers and black beans with Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus and usually baby carrots on the side.

2. Spring mix salad with craisins, mandarin oranges and goat cheese with balsamic vinaigrette. I usually have a serving of Kashi TLC crackers with this one. (This is seriously the best salad I've ever had in my life and it is one of the quickest prep time salads I've ever made)

3. I found these Tasty Bite Meal inspirations Chunky Chickpeas in one of the big box stores. They had them out in one of those sampling tables- I never would have tried them otherwise but they are so quick and easy. They are already cooked and flavored with garlic, ginger and spices. I throw a serving of them on top of spring mix salad with some low cal. Italian dressing

I bought one of those salad bowls with the little compartment in the top that you push down to get the dressing out and some lock n' lock containers. I'm saving a lot of money each week packing my own lunch and snacks for work as opposed to leaving each day and grabbing something quick on my lunch break.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Do you ever plan a little extra of your dinner? I do that for my husband but instead of giving to him next day - I do it a couple of days later. That way it doesn't feel so much like 'leftovers'
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    Right now i'm kinda hooked on wraps. i'm not super talented in the kitchen so this is eapy peasy for me, healthy, and yummy.

i get a flat out wrap - cut it in half. spread a tiny bit of low fat mayo (best food w/ the green lid) a bit of mustard. roll a slice of deli meat (like in a taco shape) romaine lettuce, tomato - then roll it up. for snacks i eat just one of the halves but for a whole lunch, i'd eat them both.
    add some pop chips or fruit w/ my water. YUM!