Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Laser hair removal/PCOS

Hey guys,

Just wondered if any of you out there have ever had laser hair removal done for PCOS-related issues? If so, what's it like? Painful? How much success has it been?

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Not for PCOS reasons but I did have laser hair removal - it does not hurt that much at all. Feels like a rubber band snapping. Of course, certain areas were more sensitive than others (underarms, for instance) - but it was still not painful. My place had a cold blowing machine that even lessened the feeling more.

It takes a LOT of treatments to get rid of hair! I went for two years (every 8-12 weeks) and still have some hair - but very little.
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Mine is mainly underneath my chin. That's what I'm the most concerned with. I've heard it can take a number of treatments, but that's the only area that I'm really concerned with.
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    i've had laser hair removal on my lower face & upper neck & i do have pcos...like 4lafz said, some areas are more sensitive than the others and that's where you feel the pain...around the lips mainly...

i've had over 10 sessions and it's not been totally effective....there are patches where the hair has completely gone...but i do like to get it done since i don't have to bother about waxing/threading for about 6 weeks after a session...also if you are exercising & eating healthy, the results will be better, since that also reduces pcos symptoms..
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    oh man... it really depends on your hair and skin type. i never had an official diagnosis for PCOS, but i had doctors concerned i had it. i don't know why we never followed up with it much, probably because if i do have it, it is mild.

but in addition, my heritage is very much in the Mediterranean. southern italian, greek, armenian.
    so i have lots of dark hair in unfortunate areas and i hate it (though none of my boyfriends have minded too much).
    i underwent a year of laser hair removal when i was in high school, but i think since i was so fresh out of puberty it didn't work very well. so i did it again as a college freshman, went to all the sessions, for a little over a year. and yeah... i still have to pluck out hairs off my jaw in addition to shaving my face.
    i don't know how much of that is actually noticable to strangers, but if i don't do it for a day then i can definitely see it without even trying.

so yeah... it doesn't work on everyone. hopefully it works for you though if you do decide to go through with it.
    i also didn't always buy the face numbing cream, and when i didn't... god it hurt so much i cried and then bought it every time after.