What are your favorite go-to foods?

Options
I'm wondering if you all have a few go-to foods or meals that you eat when you are in a hurry, hungry for something sweet, planning to eat a larger meal for dinner, or insert any other reason here...

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili... Low fat, Low cal, High in Protien. Yum!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In general, the so-called 'energy bars' out there are time bombs! But there are a few that are reasonable, quick, and fairly balanced. The best ones I've found are the Luna Cranberry (green label) or Kashi Go Lean Crunch Choc Caramel. Having said that, a honey crisp or pink lady apple are my staples: ) Good luck!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If I know I am going to have a late or big dinner I try to have a late breakfast with lots of protein. My go to foods are eggs, chicken and shrimp. When I eat a lot of carbs I just feel hungry sooner.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Oh. I thought you meant fast food. I like thin buns multi-whole-grain with a slice of munster or white american cheese. Frozen pre-grilled chicken. Carrot. Anything from the Earth Bakery, you no one has that if you don't live in Norman. :)
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If i'm in a hurry and need some food fast then i always have some cous cous in the cupboard, I have it with veggies, ham, cheese and a side salad (for a carb fest) or i'll make a ham and mushroom omelette with a salad. They're both really quick to make and tasty too.

I'm not a great cook and if it takes too long to cook then I don't make it!
  • hunterr
    hunterr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fiber one cereal and skim milk

1/2 sandwich thin with cottage cheese and sugar free orange marmalade on it.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    As a college student, I always find myself jumping out of bed and running to class in a hurry xD

So when i am bolting out the door i grab: Package of almonds, Campbell's soup at hand, Muscle Milk light drink, Think Thin Protien Bar (which is gluten free, no sugar, 20g of protein and tastes AMAZING), Or some veggie packs. And thats just to list a few.

All are low carb, and have some protein. Keeps me full for a while, and gives me the energy to focus during a boring lecture.

Good luck! :D
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Tuna pouches are one of my favorite staples - I'll eat it straight out of the package with a fork. It helps me stay full because of the protein, or I'll throw it over the top of a salad with light dressing - YUM! :bigsmile:

Hard boiled eggs.... baby carrots with peanut butter to dip them in.... apples and peanut butter.... NOOOO not all together :wink:

If I have a sweet tooth, I'll grab a small piece of FROZEN dove dark chocolate (the little single, foil-wrapped ones).... they last in my mouth a long time, so they typically do the trick with a piece or two.

One of my most-loved "big" dinners is spaghetti squash with really good crockpot spaghetti sauce - waaay less calories to use the squash instead of pasta, and if I don't have time to cook the spag. squash, I'm just as happy with sauce over water-sauteed sliced zucchini and yellow squash.....

What are yours?

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Sometimes in the morning or if I need energy/food I'll eat 1/4 c of Uncle Sams cereal and 1/4 c vitamin d milk. It tastes horrible and is loaded w/ nutrition.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Greek yoguart with little berries or other fruit mixed in.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I've been stuck on apple slices or a string cheese. I should get better about eating more fresh fruits and veggies, but I tend to hoard the majority of my calories for later in the day,which is my weak point when it comes to eating. If I can eat a larger meal for dinner and actually feel full I have a much, much lower chance of eating over my calorie limit.

I've seen a couple of posts about people using spaghetti squash in place of pasta. I would like to try this, but am not sure how to prepare the squash???

Thanks again,

T.
  • tenoclockbird
    Options
    Greek yogurt for sure. I can scramble an egg in the microwave with no butter/oil/etc, so I'll throw in half a cup or so of chopped spinach and an ounce of feta and it's beyond yummy, and packed with protein. Half a sandwich thin with a Tbs of peanut butter. The pouch tuna to throw on a salad with a dressing made at home (mustard, a bit of honey, and balsamic vinegar is great). Umm, hard boiled egg and light cheese. Those are all good for a high protein fix in a hurry.

For meals, I love chicken. Doesn't matter what you do with it, if you don't add something fatty, it's good for you. Rice has a lot of filling power for not-too-many calories. Somebody else suggested subing squash for pasta, and that's brilliant. Oh, and celery. I throw celery in casseroles, over chicken or pork chops, whatever. I like the taste of it cooked much more than raw, and it adds texture and crunch for almost no calories.

Also, if you normally cook with butter, you can often substitute broth for almost no calories and no fat.

I never thought of Wendy's chili for a fast food fix. That's a great idea.
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    Half a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread and a glass of skim milk.
    Special K Multigrain crackers with Laughing Cow Chipotle Queso
    40 Calorie Fudgesicles
    A honeycrisp apple
    100 cal Hostess cupcakes
    String cheese

I could go on...and on...
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Vitatop Muffins.
    Better N' Peanut butter.

I just posted a recipe (sorta).

Laughing Cow Cheese
    Fresh Pears
    Greek Yogurt
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Let me be honest, Tacos! Yep I love those little crunchy delights. However, these days its grapes and pears.

Its neat to go to bed and your stomach isn't getting in bed after you.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love pitas with pizza sauce and lowfat cheese. Nuke them for 30 seconds for a tasty quick treat!

I also love wraps, with a half pouch of the Instant brown rice and lots of veggies inside. Since the rice is already seasoned, you don't even need dressing!

I also like the individual containers of chips you can get from Wal-mart in sour cream, barbeque, cheetos, etc. It keeps me in check.

Rotisserie chicken.... it can be added to so many recipes at home for a quick and easy dinner.

Shannon
  • wesoslim
    wesoslim Posts: 5
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, it curbs my cravings for junk food. I take it everywhere so I don't get super hungry and get desperate to grab fast food.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in the morning or if I need energy/food I'll eat 1/4 c of Uncle Sams cereal and 1/4 c vitamin d milk. It tastes horrible and is loaded w/ nutrition.
    Waddaya mean?! I LOVE Uncle Sams-- when I can find it!
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Two words: STRING CHEESE!! love it. So good. The Cow Pals Light sticks are amazing.

But I found these little squeezable applesauces (I'm sure they're meant for kids) but I keep one in my purse now because then if I feel I'm getting hungry or low blood sugar then I eat that instead of going through a drive through.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    for sweets it's strawberries dipped in no sugar hershey's chocolate syrup OR chocolate rice cake with peanut butter YUMMY!