I CAN'T STOP FROM EATING ICE CREAM :(

Options
Hey everyone, I'm on my diet and I really control on what I'm eating, but the problem is since I get back home for my holidays, I started to eat ice cream again. I can avoid chocolate and cookies pretty well, but not ice cream, that is my biggest guilty pleasure especially when I eat it with some bread. Oh god, I can't seem to stop, need some help here, please?? :sad:

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't stop. Plan to have some and account for it in your calories for the day. When I did something similar, I discovered that over time, the food I craved became less appealing as I got accustomed to eating healthier food. I started thinking that I would prefer to have other things, and at that point, it was easy to stop. There is no reason to completely stop until you are ready to do so.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream too, try this I really like it and gets rid of any cravings. Get some low fat natural yogurt, frozen berries and blend together. add about 2 tbs of icing sugar to sweeten and put in the freezer. only about 90cals a serving, and is really good!
    Well done for not reaching for the cookies they are my worse enemy!!!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Simple answer, don't buy it. I can't keep away from chips.. so I don't buy them. If my BF buys some for himself, he hides them and if I ask for some while he's eating them he gives me one or two and then refuses to give me more.
    Once in a while I crave for ice cream, I keep tofutti dairy treats in the freezer. 30 cals for one treat.
  • Lizard863
    Lizard863 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Two things: Allow for it in your plan and try portion controled ice cream. I love fudgecicles and chocolate covered icecream on a stick. Cold and yummy but not crazy.
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well, I love ice cream as well, and I don't deny myself from having it. However, I only eat it if I have calories left over. I also eat the Skinny Cow White Mint Truffle Bars, or the Weight Watchers Giant Cookies and Cream Bars. They are awesome!!! They are also less than 150 calories each, which is great for ice cream. If I try to tell myself that I can't have it, then that makes me want it more. And if you have to have it then cut back somewhere else during the day so that you have the calories left over to have the ice cream. Hope that helps, good luck!!!

1979954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Buy Skinny Cow. It satisfies the urge (cause I have that too). If you don't have Ben and Jerry's in the house, you won't eat it. So try and pick a better option of ice cream.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Only now I buy Weight Watcher's (the Raspberry Dark Chocolate bars are to die for) and I account for them. No worries.

Good luck with your addiction, know you are not alone.

~S
  • thenebean9
    Options
    breyer's makes a no sugar added vanilla bean ice cream that is like 90 calories per half cup. It's VERY delicious too! Find ways to enjoy the foods you do by making small compromises and you'll be fine :)
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Go work at an ice cream shop. I did this in high school and 20 years later I still don't care if I ever eat it again. :D
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try skinny cow ice cream it is soooooo good. and less the a 100 calories per good size sandwach (delish!!!!)
  • MrsBubba
    MrsBubba Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I can eat ice cream even if it is 40 below. This may not work for you but it has worked for me. I buy Luigi's Italian Ice at Publix and the little tubs are 100 calories each. I like them, they are frozen treats with good flavor so those have helped. Also, maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks, if I am losing weight then I will treat myself to a Chick-fil-a icedream cone. I look forward to losing weight that week so I can have a treat! (Of course I get the small cone and not the large.)
    Find something that works for you and if there isn't a substitute that works then work the ice cream into your plan. You can do it!
  • rstring
    Options
    I have a secret weapon for sugar cravings; I use Qivana Resist to stave off the need for sugar.

Resist is an all-natural tablet based on an Indian herb that temporarily blocks your sugar receptors and helps repress sweet tooth cravings for up to two hours. But the herb also takes it a step further by blocking the sugar absorption into the intestinal tract for a period of time. If you can’t taste or absorb sugar, over time you will actually change your behavior and reduce your sugar intake.

For example, a co worker and myself had sugar cravings, she had a baggie of chocolate chip cookies ~ but it was 10pm at night. Neither of us really wanted the cookies and especially that late at night. So I pulled out the Resist and we each took one. They dissolve on your tongue, like a piece of citrus candy, and after about 15-20 minutes after it was gone we attempted to eat a cookie. It tasted awful and like a piece of cardboard! We ended up throwing the rest of the cookie away and thus we eliminated our craving.

If you want any further information on it, let me know. :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    If i'm going to eat ice cream, i know it's going to cost me about 4 miles of running. A small price to pay really.:drinker:
  • tigerrohr1969
    Options
    where can you find that product?
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Well, I love ice cream as well, and I don't deny myself from having it. However, I only eat it if I have calories left over. I also eat the Skinny Cow White Mint Truffle Bars, or the Weight Watchers Giant Cookies and Cream Bars. They are awesome!!! They are also less than 150 calories each, which is great for ice cream. If I try to tell myself that I can't have it, then that makes me want it more. And if you have to have it then cut back somewhere else during the day so that you have the calories left over to have the ice cream. Hope that helps, good luck!!!

1979954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Those two are my favorite! The smart ones peanut butter cup sundaes are amazing, too!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    def be sure to save some calories for it!!

also there are some "better" option ice creams to choose from now too!! of course frozen yogart and sorbet is usually better then regular icecream.

and the weight watchers and skinny cow ice creams are very good!!! and ben and jerrys lite icecream is good as well!!

i find if i get the smaller containers of ice cream i can control my portions a litlle better too!! :)

just stick with it and dont completely deprive yourself :)
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    weight watchers sells some good ice cream treats and so does skinny cow :)
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream too. Luckily, it is one of the EASIEST things to find better substitutions for that are amazing!

The Smart Ones ice cream sundaes are all great. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, they have tons of kinds and they are all really good.

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are incredible. They are a great portion size and you really won't tell the difference between it and regular ice cream. My favorite are the mint chocolate and the strawberry shortcake.

Jamba Juice makes popsicles that have 80-100 cals each and tons of different flavors (strawberry lemonade, strawberry vanilla, pineapple coconut, blueberry pomegranate). The strawberry ones are my favorite.

Frozen yogurt is always a better option. If you have frozen yogurt places to go to, like Tutti Frutti or Yogurtland, they are a really great alternative to an ice cream parlor. The flavors are amazing and you can get ones that are fat free, no sugar added, etc. And they always have fruit that you can add instead of candy. The TF near me even has flax seed! LOL

The Luigi's Italian Ice that someone mentioned are so good too.

Recently, I've began to eat a lot of sorbet instead of ice cream. One serving ranges from 120-180 cals (depending on the flavor). I really love them and they have been my recent go-to instead of ice cream.

And if it comes down to it, and you really want some "real" ice cream, you can by the double-churned "light" ice cream. Tastes just as good as the real thing but MUCH better for you.

There was also a recipe floating around on here for quick homemade ice cream. All you need is milk, ice, salt, sugar, and a little bit vanilla extract. Don't remember exactly, but I did try it and it came out pretty good, surprisingly!