Talked to Doctor

Options
I have been having a real hard time with not eating the foods that I love and since I have a problem with my thyroid and I don't have a gallbladder, it seems much harder. I don't like most vegetables. I will eat Spinach if it is in leaf form and I can put it in my salad or on my sandwich and the only others I like are carrotts, peas, corn and green beans (all cooked). I don't eat raw vegetables and don't care for any other in cooked form. Of course, having this road block has caused me problems but after talking with my doctor he told me that I should eat the vegetables that I do like and since I love eating whole grains I should just continue to eat what I have been but cut down the portions. He says that portion control is one of the keys to losing body weight and not looking at your change in lifestyle as a diet but as simply a change. My food intake is already very limited and it is very hard for me to even reach 800 calories most days. I don't like eating breakfast or lunch and sometimes dinner is all I can get in.
Has anyone else had a problem with vegetables and portion control and, if so, what did you do to help solve the problem? I can use all the help I can get and since my son and I are headed to Germany on Thanksgiving day I can use all the support I can get from 5000 miles away. :smile:

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions.
    Why don't you eat raw veggies?

What is it about portion control that's a problem?

I would love to help but just need a little more info.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 800 cals a day you are going to find it extremely difficult lose weight. Does your doctor know how limited your calorie intake is?
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I too have the same problem. Hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease) plus I also had my gallbladder removed about 20 years ago. I had struggled with my weight all these years. Was eating less and less, gaining more and more. It wasn't until I found MFP in January that I ever was able to lose any weight! I've learned YOU NEED TO EAT at regular intervals to lose weight! Ok, so you don't like veggies? what about as someone suggested, raw veggies throughout the day? Or Vegetable juice? I know that's high in sodium, but I think they have low sodium versions. If you like spinach, voila, spinach salad! By eating more, that's more healthy options, not more bad choices, lol...A turkey sandwich for lunch, a high fiber or cereal bar for breakfast? Try baby steps, introduce one new lifestyle change at a time..You'll be amazed and feel sooooo much better, trust me:flowerforyou: How can you have the energy to do anything if you're not fueling your body? You can do this, believe me, if I can get this far with the two setbacks, you can do it too:wink: Good luck!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is the second time I'm going for a larger weight loss in my life. First round I lost 70 lbs and one thing that helped was eating 5 small meals in the day. This round I'm going for around 50 lbs (never gained it all back from the first round) and I plan on eating a little more sane. I was on a modified south beach that was pretty restrictive. I plan on keeping the 5 small meals through out the day. Most people won't see very good results on anything under 1500 cal. per day because your body goes into starvation mode that tries to keep fat on you.

Good Luck
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I only liked five vegetables my whole life. Eating out and trying things changed me. I now like many more. Preparation is really the key. My mother cooked things to death. To me adding garlic and steaming until al dente helps alot! You do need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. I know that alot of my weight came from not eating all day and then stuffing myself in one huge meal because I was starving. My body just stored what I gave it and would not let go! It took some work to get me to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner but now I eat every few hours! Good luck, my friend, let me know if there is anything I can do to support you :-)
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't like a whole lot of different veggies either. One thing I have found, is that I can "hide" the veggies in other stuff. For instance, I'll cut bell pepper up really small and put it in my turkey meatloaf. Maybe try some stuff like that.