Dieting & Prescription Meds

Options
Has anyone been having a hard time losing weght while being prescribed to med's? Xanax in particular? It makes me extremely hungry.

Replies

• SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I take an anti-convulsant and I think I struggle a bit harder than the average person to lose weight. But it just makes me even more determined.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I once described Xanax to smoking a joint. EVERYTHING tastes good. My opinion, Xanax is prescribed to make you not anxious and it made me not care what I ate. I was on it after my husband died and I gained quite a bit of weight.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Alprazolam is in a class of medications called benzodiazepines. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain. Alprazolam comes as a tablet and a concentrated solution (liquid) to take by mouth. It usually is taken two to four times a day ...
    Side effects - How to

Guess you know what your taking? discription above....one side effect of many is weight changes.Suggest calling your doctor for and further questions! Good luck.:wink:
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    I once described Xanax to smoking a joint. EVERYTHING tastes good. My opinion, Xanax is prescribed to make you not anxious and it made me not care what I ate. I was on it after my husband died and I gained quite a bit of weight.

Exactly, it makes you less anxious, but also makes u less amxious about what you eat. I knew I would gain weight, but this is really hard!
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sometimes doctors will use anti depressants for anxiety and it can help with preventing weight gain depending on what kind is used I would go to your doctor and tell them your concerns with the gaining I'm sure they can find you something else :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Sometimes doctors will use anti depressants for anxiety and it can help with preventing weight gain depending on what kind is used I would go to your doctor and tell them your concerns with the gaining I'm sure they can find you something else :)

Yes! I take Wellbutrin for anxiety and it's actually sometimes prescribed to help people LOSE weight. I haven't had any weight gain. In fact, since being on it, I finally started to lose. We are all different, but you should def. talk to your doc!