My cold weather solution : Quick and easy CHILI!

joleanrook
joleanrook Posts: 117
edited September 22 in Recipes
I made this recipe last winter when I wanted a quick and inexpensive way to make chili for my family. I've altered it only slightly now to make it waist-line-friendly. I hope you all enjoy, let me know what you think or if you add your own flare to it be sure to share your ideas!! :happy:

Q: Why Buffalo instead of beef?
A: Making Chili with bison instead of beef cuts the fat, calories, and cholesterol in half without sacrificing any flavor! Plus buffalo is always 100% organic with no pesticides, antibiotics, or hormones of any kind!

Q: Why the peanut butter?
A: Peanut butter has been a secret ingredient in chilies around the world. It adds heartiness and protein but you don't taste it! In fact, the restaurant Chilis Bar and Grill uses Peanut butter in their chili too! I use PB2 to lower the calories without sacrificing the results.

Q: What about my crackers or corn bread?
A: I suggest getting Vitalicious brand Vita-top muffin tops in "Golden corn" flavor... 1 is only 100 calories and it's a perfect substitute for corn bread!

:drinker: INGREDIENTS:drinker:
Tender Bison - Ground Bison, 1 container (16 oz ea.)
Ranch Style Beans - Ranch Style Beans, 1 container (1 1/2 cups ea.)
Rotel - Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
Generic - Ground Cumin, 2 Tablespoon
Mccormick - Chili Seasoning Pack - 30% Less Sodium, 1 tbsp
Pb2 - Powdered Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp
Mortons - Lite Salt, 1/4 tsp
Water - Municipal, 1 cup (8 fl oz) (any pure water)

:smile: DIRECTIONS:smile:
Brown your buffalo in a pan, just as you would hamburger meat. Drain and then add to a medium sized pot. (which you will cook your chili in.)
Add Ranch style beans (undrained) to chili pot.
Add Rotel tomatos with green chillies (undrained) to chili pot. (Buy the HOT variety if you want spicier chili.:explode: )
Add all seasonings to chili pot, stir, and then let simmer 15 minutes.
Add 1 cup of hot water and one Tbsp. of PB2 to chili pot and continue to simmer 15 more minutes.

Serve warm. :love:

YIELD: 5 CUPS, Nutritional info based on 1 serving = 1 cup, 1 whole recipe = 5 servings.

Nutritional info per 1 cup serving:
:happy: 270 calories, 11 fat, 17 carbs, 24 protein, 6 fiber, and 745 sodium.

Replies

• blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Bump...sounds great! :)
  • Nutritional info per 1 cup serving:
    :happy: 270 calories, 11 fat, 17 carbs, 24 protein, 6 fiber, and 745 sodium.

FYI.... Since it takes roughly 10 calories to break down and process 1 gram of protein it will require about 240 calories just to process the protein in this chili. Subtract that from the 270 calories present and you're looking at netting only 30 calories. That's why protein is so important to weight loss and building lean muscle!!! Enjoy!
  • Thanks for posting this. I'm going to try it.
  • You're very welcome!
This discussion has been closed.