panic attacks and diet

Options
So today I had a panic attack and if any of you have ever experienced one, all you want is comfort and for me, that's chocolate and carbs. This definitely sabotaged my diet, I'm over my calorie count and waaaaay over my sugar limit. Does anyone know of anyway to deal with panic attacks without food, or any specific foods to eat rather than raiding the fridge for anything and everything? I'm hoping I don't experience another one anytime soon but if I do I want to be ready.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Xanax, Valium, Hylands homeopathic nerve tonic.

I drink too much alcohol when I get upset.
  • aliceofwonderland
    Options
    I'd say just continue what your doing and eat healthy foods. My panic attacks have become much less frequent since i started eating healthy and avoiding overly-processed foods.
  • mryl
    mryl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Serena, put a cold rag on your head and get low to the floor. Close your eyes and take deep breaths and remember to blow out so you don't hyperventilate. The cold rag really helps. Try splashing cold water on your face if you are not at home. Good luck.
  • serena22289
    serena22289 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that helps alot. :)
  • PocketNaomi
    Options
    Anti-anxiety meds can help a lot... have you talked to your doctor about them? So can having something to do with your hands and your mouth; it doesn't have to be high-calorie. I chew gum -- sugarless, about ten calories for a decent-sized mouthful. If I've got the mental focus, I play stupid computer games to keep my attention off the panic and my hands busy. If I'm not able to do that, I just curl up on the bed and rock back and forth. Breathing slowly helps. So does visualization exercises. A good hypnotherapist can give you an initial set of visualization exercises that can help you calm down, and then you can use them yourself whenever you need, after you've learned them.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    I take a liquid herb from Herb Pharm called "Good Mood Tonic".