Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    that depends...what are yours?

Eat 'em if you can, don't if you can't. :drinker:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Carbs at dinner??

Delicious, just like they are at any time!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Carbs at dinner are the devil for me. I have to stop eating them or will never lose any weight.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Carbs at dinner will never be a problem unless you go over your calories limit for the day or week.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Carbs at dinner will never be a problem unless you go over your calories limit for the day or week.

This ^^^^^^^

Carbs, fat and protein whenever you want. Timing makes no difference to weight loss, it's personal preference.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    I'm assuming you're asking this because you are under the impression that eating carbs after a certain time will cause them to be stored as fat or something along those lines?

Carbs are the same whether you eat them at dinner or breakfast. For weight loss, eating them, or anything else, at a certain time of day is not going to matter as long as they don't cause you to go over your calories.

If this is not why you were asking the above are still my "thoughts" on carbs...:drinker:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member

This ^^^^^^^

Carbs, fat and protein whenever you want. Timing makes no difference to weight loss, it's personal preference.

Yep.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Most of my carbs for dinner and after dinner in my ice cream has worked very well.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    What are your thoughts?
    I eat them
  • dawnaustin71
    dawnaustin71 Posts: 1 Member
    Ive tried to cut back on carbs at dinner as i read in a book somewhere that if you dont need the energy in the evening then you dont need so many at dinner. I tend to excercise on my way home from work, so have most of my bread, potatoes, pasta etc during the day and then at dinner have some chicken, fish, steak etc with lots of veg, but no pasta, rice etc. Ive found that it works for me and ive also found that i sleep a lot better on these evenings ( i tend to eat late after the gym) so i guess its different for everyone!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Always! :drinker:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Ive tried to cut back on carbs at dinner as i read in a book somewhere that if you dont need the energy in the evening then you dont need so many at dinner. I tend to excercise on my way home from work, so have most of my bread, potatoes, pasta etc during the day and then at dinner have some chicken, fish, steak etc with lots of veg, but no pasta, rice etc. Ive found that it works for me and ive also found that i sleep a lot better on these evenings ( i tend to eat late after the gym) so i guess its different for everyone!!

If it works for you great - but it has no bearing on if they are stored as fat.

The book you read is repeating a common myth.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    http://iifym.com/carbs-at-night/
    Fortunately for us, a recent study published in the Journal of Obesity examined this very question (7). These researchers from Israel put people on a calorically restricted diet for 6 months and split them into two groups, a control group and an experimental group. Each group consumed the same amount of calories, protein, carbohydrates, and fat but they distributed their carbohydrate intake very differently. One group (control) ate carbs throughout the day, whereas the experimental group consumed the majority of their carbohydrate intake (approximately 80% of the total) at the night. What they found after 6 months may shock you. Not only did the experimental group consuming the majority of their carbs at night lose significantly more weight and bodyfat than the control group, they also were better satiety and less hunger!
    I am not ready to say that we should all be eating the majority of our carbs at night. I would like to see this study repeated but with a bolus amount of carbs eaten at one meal in the morning to properly compare it to the single high carb meal at night, whereas the previous study compared a bolus night time carb meal vs. several feedings of carbs throughout the day. It may very well be that the beneficial effects of the diet in this study was more associated with limiting carb dosing (and insulin secretion) to a single bolus rather than spreading them throughout the day. However, I think what can be said with relative certainly is the notion that consuming carbohydrates at night will lead to more fat gain, or impair fat loss compared to consuming them at other times of the day. So write it down “Don’t eat carbs at night bro” has officially been BUSTED as BROSCIENCE!

Personally I eat carbs right up until bedtime. It works fine for me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I eat all the foods. Freedom from food morality is awesome.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    i eat an equal amount of carbs per meal (i don't mean to, it just works out that way) which is about 50-60 grams each. Without carbs at dinner i won't feel full or satisfied, i need my sweet potato fries!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Yep and breakfast and lunch too!!!

Favorite dinner carb Sweet potato YUM
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    The only carbs for me are from veggie's at dinner unless the item has a high fiber content.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    I try to stay away from them for dinner, just because they sit a little heavy in my stomach and sleeping with that is a bit uncomfortable. They also make me feel like snacking on a bunch of things, and I try to avoid that before bed, too. However, unless you react poorly to them like I do, there's no reason to avoid carbs for dinner!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I always eat carbs at dinner, usually in the form of veggies and sweet potatoes. I don't turn down fresh pasta either..because, awesome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat carbs with dinner every night...as well as with breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc. This whole "carbs are the devil" BS has to stop...it's ridiculous. Unless you have certain medical conditions, carbs aren't the devil...most people doing the SAD could most definitely stand to cut back on their carbohydrate intake and to select more nutritious sources, but really, that would only be in an effort to eat a more balanced diet.

Eat the carbs if you want...don't eat them if you don't want to...lowering carbs will result in loss of water weight, so if you for some reason care about that then go for it...if not, whatever. I pretty easily lost 40 Lbs eating all the carbs...eating dinner at around 8:30 PM and then going to bed at 9:30...eating desert, etc. All of the BS just complicates something that really isn't complicated.