Gastric Bypass - Taboo?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and am really enjoying reading everything. I've been all sizes throughout my life. I'm 5'5" and have gone from 130 up all the way to 332 at times in my life. My "most common" weight was around 185 - 190. But like I said, I've experienced weight gains and losses of all types and have maintained it for a couple years at times and for a couple weeks at others.

I don't cook. I'm single. I work. I've finally figured out a healthy eating plan (for me) that fits the calories here and I've already lost 7 pounds in two weeks. I have to admit ... I have been coming up about 300 to 500 calories short daily. But I've been eating a pack of sugar-free oatmeal in the morning, a can of chunky soup in the afternoon with lots of mixed vegetables added. I usually have another can at dinner and my snacks are one sugar free pudding cup and one light yogurt. I also have bananas and apples for snacks. So far, so good ... but I'm surprised how much I'm learning here just this first time reading the bulletin board. I thought I was pretty "food aware." NOT. LOL.

Anyway, the reason I decided to post ... and it might not be looked on too well in here, is the Gastric Bypass Surgery. I've jumped through hoops to get everything together to get it approved by my insurance. And it's finally happening. In December I'm scheduled to have it. My co-worker had it done and I trust her. She lost 142 pounds in a year, and says she could have lost more but that she kind of settled because she's comfortable at her new weight even if it is above goal.

But ... now I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone here actually had the gastric bypass or the lap-band procedure done? And what are your views on it? Having had it, would you now, knowing what you know .. still have it? Do you think you could have done it on your own with the use and support of this site?

And finally .... any general thoughts, concerns, ideas and suggestions about it and/or for me?

Thanks so much, in advance!

Darla

Replies

• LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Personally I have not had it done...But my mother had it done a couple of years ago, and yes she has lost an extreme amount of weight she went from 280 to 110...But how healthy is she I dont' know b/c she constantly complains about everything and eating, well she doesn't do much of that...I think she should have had some more counseling post op b/c she really doesn't eat more than 800 calories a day, To me she looks much older now. And doesn't seem as happy. Though she pushes the surgery on me (even though I have no clue how she thinks I could afford it). Holidays and birthday aren't that fun anymore with my mom b/c she complains about the cake, I'm sorry you can't eat it but please I like my cake so if I want a piece leave me alone you know? Hers is probably more mental. Though the psychical sides her doctor has told her she is malnourished and she needs to try to eat more. I would only do it as a last resort, if I couldn't lose the weight on my own and the drs told me that I was going to die soon something like that. But if I was able to lose weight on my own no I wouldn't go through surgery
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hello,glad you asked.My friend had it done and she has had some issues with it-sugar upsets her stomach,she gets nauseous.She is happy she got it done but has to eat snacks between every meal,and the meals have to be small.Overall I would say read about it before getting it done.Good luck with everything,Rose
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had the surgery last month. She's already lost 45 pounds counting the surgery and pre-op diet. She is happy with things so far but it is still early in the game for her.

I've read up on it because she was doing it, and it looks dangerous to me. Google it and you'll find lots of places where people talk about having the surgery. There are just so many things that can go wrong inside your body after you have the surgery. Then again, my friend said she couldn't do it any other way and had terrible health problems that she thought would kill her soon. She chose gastric bypass to give her a chance she said.

In the end, I believe it's a personal choice. Talk with your family and friends about support for afterward if you do go ahead with it. Whatever way you choose to lose weight, I wish you all the best.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you can do it without the surgery then do it without.
    Wishing you the best whichever way you go.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I haven't had either but I know several people who have had one or the other. The ones who were successful changed their lifestyle post procedure and have maintained their weightloss. Everyone has to make these type decisions for themselves and no one else. If this is the path you've decided to take then kudos to you. Just remember the surgery is not a magic trick. You are going to have to work hard to get to your goal weight and maintain it; you're just going to get a helpful boost. Best wishes and good luck!

By the way, at the top of the Message Boards page there is a Search link. Try a search for Gastric Bypass and see what other members have said about this subject in the past. You'll probably find some members who've had one procedure or the other and you can ask them questions directly.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I would do as much research (not just online), talk to people who have had it and listen to both signs- pro and con. Eventually you need to decide what is best for YOU.

One fact I did find in my research is that the band is only going to account for about 1/2 of the weight you need to lose. So if you need to lose 100lbs, don't expect the band is going to lose the 100lbs for you. It will only take off about 50 lbs. The rest is hard work---diet, exercise and portion control.

Best of luck!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's replied. It's really nice to get some other's input on it. The center where I've been scheduled doesn't require counseling and only one appointment with a psychologist. So I'm researching it on my own.

I don't know if it's just last minute jitters or what, but I'm getting nervous. I don't want to do something I'm going to have side-effects from for the rest of my life. But I also don't want to miss an opportunity I'll end up regretting.

So, for now I'll keep following the MFP plan and see how I do with that and keep researching the procedures and talking about it.

Thanks sooo much!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you about the experiences that people I know have had:

My mother-in-law had it done about 6 years ago. She lost about 100 pounds, she ended up in an infection and two hernias. She has been fighting C diff ever since. She had to have two more surgeries to take care of the hernias. She has regained approximately 60 lbs of her weight loss back and continues to have health problems.

Friend of the family had gastric bypass done about 4 years ago. She too, ended up with an infection. She has lost over 100 lbs and it continues to stay off to this day. However, she has been in and out of the hospital because of that surgery since she's had it done. She says that it is not something she would recommend to others.

Friend of the family and my nurse when I had my baby. I don't know how much weight she lost, but she had gastric bypass done and has kept the weight off. I know of no problems with her. But that could be because she's a nurse and knows it's a serious surgery and what had to be done.

Co-worker had gastric bypass about 10 years ago. He lost about 160 lbs. and has kept it off. He's had no issues that I'm aware of.

Friend from high school had lap band done. She lost 40 lbs and gained it back plus extra. Other than that, I know of no problems.

Friend of family (mother-in-law's room mate) recently had lap band done. She's lost about 40 lbs, within about a month and no problems so far.

So, all this being said, basically you are just forcing yourself to eat smaller amounts of food. With some forms of bypass surgery, part of the intestines is removed, therefore you can become malnourished. If you were to just eat smaller amounts of food on your own then you would get the same results.

It is not a fix all. People who get these surgeries tend to have impulse control issues. These tendencies don't just go away because you have a smaller stomach. If you go back to your old eating habits, your stomach can and will stretch back out.

I would think long and hard before getting such a surgery. As with any surgery, there are plenty of people that die on the surgery table, but there are plenty of others that die some times months after the surgery. Personally, I would rather see someone spend that money on a nutritionist and personal trainer.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'll try to send you a message later. I had one done 8 years ago. I have lots to say.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had a laproscopic RNY gastric bypass 12/15/09 and believe it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. It is not the easy way out and it's a lot of work but it's worth it! It took me about 4 years to decide to have the surgery, I was scared of the actual surgery but also scared of not being able to eat the foods I loved anymore...and to be honest...food was like my best friend...except it was going to kill me eventually. I had high blood pressure and was on medication which I am now off of and I have a normal on the low end blood pressure; my resting heart rate is normal as well. I still have sleep apnea but the pressure on my CPAP machine has continuously been lowered over this year. I'm going to be having another sleep study in the future to make sure the pressure is correct for me now.

My suggestion to you is to research the procedure you're thinking of having done and be sure you are ready for the changes. It's true after the surgery eventually some people can eat some of the same foods they ate prior to surgery, you have to watch sugar intake and make sure you get enough protein everyday. Everyone reacts differently to food, I know people who can eat anything and not have any reactions and others who can't eat over a certain amount of sugar at one setting.

Just so you know, my life has not turned into happily ever after, I still have some of the same problems I had before surgery but I'm learning to deal with things differently instead of eating. I exercise just about everyday. I go to the gym at least 5 days a week and work out with a personal trainer once a week. You have to be willing to make exercise a part of your daily life. And my taste buds changed...I now like a lot of food I would never have even tried prior to surgery.

I've lost 120 pounds since my surgery, and I lost 30 before surgery doing the steps I needed to do to be approved for surgery. While I agree people can lose weight by diet and exercise alone, without surgery. I found throughout my life I could lose weight, but I could never keep it off. For me surgery is the tool I need to be successful.

I wish you all the best!!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My wife had a gastric bypass about 10 years ago and lost a great deal of weight and has managed to keep most of it off. She's put a little weight on in recent years but I believe that's because of my deployment schedule. I'm gone so much more than I used to be so she's essentially a single mom with a full time job and online college so the nutrition aspect isn't all it could be. She has to be careful about eating too much sugar and a few other things or else she gets sick but she's re-learned how to eat very well. She also had to have a follow up procedure to remove the baggy skin around her midsection left by the rapid weight loss, before that was approved she had a lot of back pain. All things considered though I think she made the right choice. Her health has improved a great deal.

On the flip side she has a cousin who got the lap band and then proceeded to live life like she did before so the weight came right back on. I'm not sure if that says more about the procedure or her cousin's attitude.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!

It's nice to get some input and such a variety of opinions.

I'll just keep researching and using this site as a tool before I make that final leap.

Take care!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have worked in the recovery room post op. I hate to see anyone do the gastric bypass. Please research this very carefully. There are many serious side effects you need to be aware of. Anyone can lose weight with diet and exercise. Good luck .
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I was just starting to jump through the hoops 14 months ago. The procedure I wanted was called the mini gastric bypass, patented and done by one guy in Nevada if I remember right. Anyway I had to loose 7 lbs before I was technically able to have the procedure done. How stupid is that, I was to fat to get weight loss surgery :-p. Anyway I started to change mostly portion size. I figured I could live with the hunger for a bit and see how bad it really was. I tried to eat smaller portions at first. And the first 7 lbs went in a week.

Yea! I was now able to get the surgery, but you know what, that week wasn't too bad. Eating smaller meals and staying away from all the stuff I knew i was supposed to stay away from would make me more used to my new eating habits after the surgery, so I kept on. After a few months I kinda stopped the hoop jumping process, and a few months after that it was off the table all together.

It can be done with out surgery. Take the time till the surgery to see how bad it really is. See if this is something you can do on your own. Don't be afraid of the occasional slip up, everybody has bad days. Maybe as the day gets closer you'll realize that you can't do this without significant help. Maybe you'll realize that you can. Give this your full commitment for the month you have left. Work as hard at it as you're going to have to work after the surgery. Then the day before it's scheduled call the hospital and either ask what time you're supposed to be there for the pre-op, or tell em you've changed your mind.

Personally I've known 2 people that had RNY bypasses and one that had a lapband. 1 of the 2 RNY friend lost weight and kept it off. The other lost 50 of the 200 pounds he needed to loose and is slowly putting it back on after 3 years. The lap band friend lost a little over half of what she needed and is down 100 lbs 2 years later, but has been stalled for the last year almost with 100 still to go.

Me, I've lost 132 lbs in 14 almost 15 months and continue to loose, by tracking my food and doing what every doctor on the planet will tell you is the safest healthiest way to loose weight. It's not that easy, but it's not that hard.

Maybe you need some help, and there's no shame or fault or anything like that in it, but maybe you don't. Take some time and find out.

GL to you and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. :-)
  • blel0906
    Options
    I would definitally ask lots of questions and get peoples eperiences. I only know one person who had gastric by pass surgery done before I met her...She is still heavy she lost about 80lbs...She has a ALOT of loose skin especially around her stomach, she can't get insurance to pay for cosmetic surgery and can't afford to get it done. She has had problems with her teeth and breaks bones easily also her hair has thinned and falls out. She told me that it was a side effect of the surgery as your body isn't able to absorb all the nutrients it needs...I asked about suppliments, she said yes their is a vitamin regimine she should be one but can't afford those either.

I'm sure their are people that have had positve experiences.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I had my lap band surgery in January of 2008. It was the best decision of my life and I do not regret it. Sure, there are a lot of things I've had to give up and change but it's been worth it. I was overweight/obese my entire life and tried everything under the sun (gyms, at home dvds, low carb; low fat, herbalife, slim fast, etc). I would have some success and then get off track and gain it all back and then some. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

My mom and sister both had gastric bypass surgery in 2007 and they have both been pretty successful. My sister was 317 lbs and lost 100 lbs by 7 months! She has kept off that amount and then some. She still struggles at times with her eating habits and isn't that much into exercise now (getting to 100 lbs lost was her big goal) but like I said, she has KEPT OFF the weight.

My mom has also been very successful. She too has lost over 100 lbs and KEPT it OFF. She has totally changed her eating habits and adheres to the "sugar free" rule. She exercises at least 5 times a week for about an hour.

The thing you HAVE to remember is that this is a TOOL to ASSIST you in your weight loss journey. A LOT of people on this site are strongly against ANY type of weight loss surgery (WLS) because they see/are exposed to the "failures"...the ones they call the "lazy" people that get WLS and DON'T adhere to the food guidelines or exercise. They DON'T change their eating habits (they just eat smaller portions of the dame "crap" that got them there in the first place. WLS is not the end all, be all. YOU have to do YOUR part. You HAVE to be willing to follow the guidelines and KNOW that you ARE changing your lifestyle. There are quite a few of us on here who do what we are supposed to do and therefore have been and will continue to be successful.

It's very important to have a good support system. There are a lot of wonderfully supporting and encouraging people on this site. Build a strong network of friends and you WILL succeed.

By the way, I started at 265 lbs, lost 100 lbs by my year anniversary of my WLS, and then had a year's worth of plateaus and yo-yoig of 15-20. I've have my band unfilled completely twice --once was my darn fault -- took too big of a bite of some meat and didn't chew long enough --LESSON LEARNED! -- and the other time I had surgery to remove several uterine fibroids so I had to have my band unfilled until after my recovery. I got back on track in February and am now less than 20 lbs away from my goal.

Good luck to you!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Darla,

You had the guts to put yourself out there and seek advice on what can become a hot topic. I applaud your bravery, and appreciate the confindence your put in your fellow MFP members. Having said that, I will give you the same amount of respect, and give you my true feelings on this as I'm sure you would appreciate a non-sugar coated reply.
    I've met two people who have had this surgery. I'm not going to go into details, but one of them lost a crap load of weight, and was also crapping all day long...literally. She didn't do much exercise and due to the rapid weight loss, she unfortunately has "wings" under her triceps. She suffers from depression, which she used to alleviate by eating. Well, now that her stomach is the size of an egg, that is no longer a possibility (which is a good thing). BUT, that makes her even more depressed. She got the surgery, but never learned now to cope with her emotional eating issues.
    Another guy I know got it, lost 100 pounds, and gained back 120. After about a year, he went back into his old habbits.
    My ex-boss's dad had it done too. Unfortunately for him, he was part of the small percentage that has the surgery back fire on him. From what she told me, he's on tons of meds, and severely weak, and constantly sick.
    Unfortunately, this is treated like a no-big-deal routine procedure, when in reality, it is MAJOR surgery. And elective at that. I see that you already lost 7 pounds. Obviously, you CAN do it. But ask yourself this: Do you want this surgery because you feel like you CAN'T do it, or because you can't do it fast enough? Remember, slow and steady wins the race...and ensures that you won't have to shell out another few grand for surgery to remove excess skin from rapid weight loss.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My aunt and uncle BOTH had the lap band surgery. It's odd though, my aunt has had a great success, losing about 75 lbs and her blood pressure and cholesterol have drastically reduced. My uncle on the other hand has barely lost any weight. He's gone in and tightened/adjusted and it still hasn't been much help. He was very discouraged as he was doing everything he was suppose to and the doctor said "Sometimes it just doesn't work well on people."

Also, they both have difficulties with breads and heavy starches and often vomit if they eat excitedly and 'fill up' too fast.

Just do your research and talk to as many doctors as you can. Prayers that you do what's best and get the outcome you hope for :flowerforyou:
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Have had the band procedure done, and don't regret it but you truely have to be ready to change your lifestyle and think of it as a tool or you'll find your life miserable. I've lost 155 todate since Sept/09.
    I also go to the gym, knit(instead of eat while watching tv), and am very involved in OA which has helped me tremedously,
    If you think its going to solve all your problems and you can still eat junk and lose wt..then you will be disappointed. I have never been sick because I do control my portions..and stop before I get full most of the time. It helps control my hunger which is the awesome part of this tool so that I really know when I'm hungry vs just want to eat for the sake of eating..and I only eat when I'm hungry or need to eat for fuel.