Cheat Day

Options
Three years ago I lost 40 pounds by basically exercising my *** off all summer long. (I'm a teacher and so I have less work in the summer.) Over the next few years I gained it all back. This time around I am asking myself, "Could I live this way, eating and exercising this way, perpetually?" I believe the answer is yes, because:

(1) Sunday is my cheat day when I can eat anything I would like, as long as my total calories for the week are on track for weight loss. 70% of the time I don't even take the cheat day when it arrives, but knowing that I can eat sweets or fast food if I want to at the end of the week makes it easier for me to eat only healthy things. Of course by eating good things during the week I start to crave them more and more, I become habituated to eating well.

(2) I have found a lot of healthy foods that I really like now, like steamed broccoli and carrots, and colored peppers, honeydew, and raspberries. I always have this stuff ready to eat in the fridge, I like it, so I could eat these things perpetually (or things like them if my tastes change).

My goal is to find a rhythm in life I can stick with.

Replies