Breaking this plateau!!

Options
So, after a 3 week plateau I'm set on breaking through and losing my last 7-12lbs. Really, I'd like to lose the weight in about 15 weeks before my first wedding dress fitting (9/27/14) so that puts me at the 0.5-1lb loss/week category. After the end of September, I just want to maintain so I'm oh so close!

I've been noticing my energy levels have been awful lately and I'm thinking that in conjunction with my stalled weight loss means my metabolism needs some help? After a 10 hour work day, I'll get home and almost immediately pass out asleep, not really leaving much room to work out or even cook, so I haven't been eating as much lately either. The really weird part is that this dip in energy has been after giving up almost all drinking- maybe it's because now I'm missing out on those calories? (not saying I should drink, but maybe eat more)

I'm looking at calorie cycling and/or cheat days. Anyone had much luck with it? Where should I set my cheat day at? I don't want to set myself back by overdoing it, but I do want to kickstart my metabolism. Also, are the cheat days measured in net calories or pre-exercise? (for example: If my cheat day is 1800 and I burn 500 calories, should I eat 500 extra for a total of 2300, or should I keep it at 1800?)

My stats:
Height: 5'2"
SW: 150 lbs BF ~35%
CW: 127 lbs BF 24-26% ish
GW: 120 lbs
UGW: 115 lbs or BF 18%

Exercise: 3-5 times/week, usually for an hour. 3 days/week it's usually 50/50 weights and cardio, and if I do the other 2 days, it's usually 60 mins of cardio. I have not exercised much this last week, but plan on picking it up again ASAP.

BMR: 1305
TDEE: 1795
Normal calorie consumption: 1100-1450 calories/day (the 1100 cal days are when I fall asleep before getting the chance to make dinner)

All constructive feedback is welcome- my diary is open!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is not a plateau...

That being said a plateau is usually when someone hasn't lost weight in over 4 weeks and it is explained by the fact they are eating at maitenance.

Looking at your diary you are eating more than you think I suspect as it appears by your entries you don't weight your solids.

As well you are not recording everything or having a lot of days where you are only logging 1k, 600 calories (May 7th and 8th and 9th)

Then I randomly click on the 19th and nothing is logged for the entire week plus

So without consistent accurate logging no you will not lose weight.

Weight solids, log everything accurately and use correct entries.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    After a very brief look at your diary:

Don't eat below 1200 - it is not good for you, FACT.
    Try and get approx 1400 without eating your exercise calories back, but if you're very hungry eat them back.
    If you know you're tired and going to fall asleep when you get in, maybe grab something before you leave work, or take something nutritious in with you for a late afternoon meal.
    Can't see much fruit or veg in your diary, tut tut :) Snacking on fruit throughout the day is a great way to keep your energy topped up and get those extra 300 calories in.
    Personally I wouldn't log cleaning, gardening etc as cardio exercise as they're just part of an ordinary day and therefore part of your TDEE. I only exercise purposeful exercise - not even walking the dog or going for long walks - I'd rather log too little then too much burn.
    Finally, regarding drinking: I like my wine and knew I couldn't go through this lifestyle change giving up the things that give me pleasure - I would just fall off the wagon. Allow yourself the things you enjoy. I try and make sure I get some extra calories burned or have fewer snacks on the days I have a drink (most days!). Have still managed to lose and drink wine!

Hope this didn't come across as preachy. Feel free to add me and take a peek at my diary.
    Good luck!
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Three weeks isn't really long enough to call anything a plateau, especially when you're so close to goal and should be looking to lose 0.5-1 lb a week. It's really easy to mask 0.5 lbs with water weight. As far as your energy issues, it just sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise. When you're doing 5 days a week in the gym on 1,200 - 1,400 calories I doubt you're recovering adequately between sessions which is going to lead to feeling run down. Rather than a cheat day I'd recommend a refeed day where you eat at maintenance and drop down fats in exchange for more carbs to get some glycogen back into the muscles.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are eating more than you think I suspect as it appears by your entries you don't weight your solids.

As well you are not recording everything or having a lot of days where you are only logging 1k, 600 calories (May 7th and 8th and 9th)

Then I randomly click on the 19th and nothing is logged for the entire week plus

I've only logged 600-1000 cal those days because that's all I ate :ohwell:

I don't weigh my solids anymore because doing it made me neurotic excessively limit my food...
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your goals since you started losing weight? - You 'may' find that your Target daily input has changed... so you 'could' be eating too much... just a thought.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I don't weigh my solids anymore because doing it made me neurotic excessively limit my food...

there is still a week+ you didn't log at all...as for weighing food not sure how that made you excessively limit food...unless you have a pre-exisiting eating disorder in which case you need to look at the days you ate 1k and below.

Esp being this close to goal your margin of error is very small...

But again 3 weeks is not a plateau...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your goals since you started losing weight? - You 'may' find that your Target daily input has changed... so you 'could' be eating too much... just a thought.

Yes I have. My maintenance went from around 2100 to 1800 and I've adjusted down my intake for loss accordingly
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Yes I have. My maintenance went from around 2100 to 1800 and I've adjusted down my intake for loss accordingly

Cool
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Well then for your sake I hope you are being inaccurate in your logging because that is a dangerously low intake.