Anyone up for a 5k challange?

Replies

• Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    i just registered for my very first 5K!!!! December 5th!!! :bigsmile:
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    I've never been a runner......never, ever! A couple of my good friends and all lost weight recently (me through MFP and the other two with metafast) and we've decided to do a half-Marathon in May 2011. We also decided to do a 5K in December and a 15K in March, to get ready for the half!
    We started our training program last week and we'll do our first "4 miler" tomorrow.....in the pouring down rain, it looks like!
    The 5K will be a lot of fun - we're looking forward to it......and I'm nervous about the "long run" tomorrow!:sick:

I should add, I've been working out on a regular basis at a health club, 3-5 times a week, on average. I just haven't ran or jogged before!

879845.png
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Let us know how you do :) Any pointers from a first timer would be great! Because of a challange I accepted from a different group, I plegded to do the c25k work out for week 2 6 times instead of 3, then found out 2 of my days at work this week will be 15 hours each!
    I don't like to fail on challanges though, so I ran the work out twice today, and plan on getting in 1 more tomorrow after yoga. That will just leave wed, thur, and fri.
    Totally doable :)
  • margie_77
    This weekend= 3 week 2 c25k workouts, zumba, yoga and before the laundry is done, I'll have a belly dancing done as well :)
    I won't be able to work out the next 2 days at all, and because of it being 'that' week, I'm not sure what the scale will show, but I'm sure it will all pay off the week after :)
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    I did workout W1 wo2, i am loving this. I am able to do this at the park right next to my home usually in the evening these past two days when it's time to walk the pups.

WTG Margie!
  • margie_77
    Sweet :) I did one of the work outs Sat. at Sunset Park :)
  • margie_77
    How's everybody doing?? Getting all excited and building up some endurance?
  • margie_77
    OK, I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I really want to do a Turkey Run!! I'm thinking about signing up for the 5k on Thanksgiving morning. Its $25 if you sign up tomorrow, $30 after that.
    Even if I end up having to walk most of it... I just want to show up to T-dinner wearing my first 5k t-shirt!!
    ~Margie
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Sunday my friends and I (we will do a 5K in Dec) ran 4 miles - the farthest I have ever ran, ever! It felt fantastic! (We did end up going a total of 4.5 miles, but walked for .5 of it.)
    This morning went 3 miles, mostly running but a little walking. Todays run seemed a little more difficult for me than Sundays longer run. (Could be the fact that I only got 5 hours of sleep the night last night though!)
    Anyway, the training program is going very well so far and we're enjoying it and feeling great!

879845.png
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    This morning I did a 5K on the treadmill. I'm going to do it 3 times a week to improve my time. Today it took my 38 minutes. My goal is to do it in 30 minutes. So I have a long way to go, but I'm determined to make it happen.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Hey Everyone!!! I was just about to post something similar when I saw this!

My friend and I are all up for a 5k. She's in Michigan and not on this site and I'm in IL (about an hour NW of Chicago)! I would love, love, LOVE to participate in this!

I actually signed up to do a Turkey Trot 5k next week! We're planning on walking as my friend and I haven't started doing the C25K yet. I'm excited for the challenge!

So, bottom line is...I'm in! woohoo! My goal is to start C25K next Sunday or Monday. I need to get a better pair of running shoes.

Also, does anyone have knee issues? I'm wondering if the build up is slow enough to prevent further injury, etc.

-Kate
  • Margie-go for the Turkey Trot....you have nothing to lose! The only thing that can happen, is you have to walk a little..but once you are in that group of people running together, the excitement overtakes you...the feeling is unbelievable!-
  • margie_77
    Thanks for the support :) I can't wait to share my first timer advice and hear about everyone else's experience in the upcoming turkey trots!! :) I will NOT be passing on or feeling guilty about the pumpkin pie I will be consuming!! hahahaha
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Where is it at? Maybe I can join you. I will not be going out of town that day.

I haven't gotten aorund to finishing W1 yet, I've been working all day yesterday & today & Monday i couldn't miss out on Zumba.

I agree on the Pumpkin pie, luv it.

LVAC only offers the relatives the $175 sorry. i do have a pass for you if you would like, let me know.
  • margie_77
    I think I'm just going to stick with 24hour fitness. Its less busy and there are more locations. Thanks for checking for me though :)
    I did a search for '5k in las vegas' and it came up. Its at Bunker Family Park. http://www.lasvegasrunningteam.com/ You can sign up on line :)
  • fitnewlife
    2 miles on the eliptical this morning.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    I was wondering how people compared the eliptical with a treadmill? I have a bad knee and with winter coming I'm going to be stuck inside a lot. Can I train on an elliptical and get the same running benefits as a treadmill?
  • fitnewlife
    You get a really good workout with the eliptical if you push yourself. It's better on your knees because there's less impact. I do it to switch up my workouts.
    I was wondering how people compared the eliptical with a treadmill? I have a bad knee and with winter coming I'm going to be stuck inside a lot. Can I train on an elliptical and get the same running benefits as a treadmill?
  • margie_77
    I LOVE the elliptical!! It burns more calories and, at least to me, feels like it’s working the muscles harder but it’s very easy on the joints! I've never used it to train for a run before, but then I've never trained for a run before! hahaha

2 miles already this morning!!! woo hoo :) Great way to start the day!!!

After work yesterday I checked out where I'm at for 3.11 miles. I half walked, half jogged. My time was 49 min. I'm going to do it again on Friday and Sunday. Then I'm not sure until the race on Thursday!!! I'm so excited!!

I'm also going to go to Zumba on Saterday and Yoga on Sunday! :)
  • fitnewlife
    Good Job. I hope you enjoy your classes.
    I LOVE the elliptical!! It burns more calories and, at least to me, feels like it’s working the muscles harder but it’s very easy on the joints! I've never used it to train for a run before, but then I've never trained for a run before! hahaha

2 miles already this morning!!! woo hoo :) Great way to start the day!!!

After work yesterday I checked out where I'm at for 3.11 miles. I half walked, half jogged. My time was 49 min. I'm going to do it again on Friday and Sunday. Then I'm not sure until the race on Thursday!!! I'm so excited!!

I'm also going to go to Zumba on Saterday and Yoga on Sunday! :)
This discussion has been closed.