Gym and Membership Help Please

OMGG
OMGG Posts: 44
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi
Have joined the gym and swimming at the Leisure Centre, after years of not entering these places "I dit it" .
I have paid for a full year! NOW only to be told the swimming pool will be out for 4 to 5 weeks!!!
Should I request what they are intending to do with the yearly members.
I am totaly new to the area so have nobody to walk in with.....

What would you do?

Replies

• It might help if you put more in your profile so we know what country you live in etc ..

I would just write them a nice letter asking them to extend your year's subs by the amount of time they are closed and see what they say.
    Well done for joining a gym - I did that in August at the age of 61 having done NO exercise at all that could be avoided in my adult life so I know how nervous you might be feeling - go for it - the gym is your friend!.
    J
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Of course! The should give you some compensation.
    My gym did this a while back and they gave us all 3 months free memebership as a compensation!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Is the pool the only thing you will be using? How long ago did you join vs finding out about the pool being closed?

If the situation is that you joined mainly for the pool and you were told the pool was closing a few days after you joined, I would complain. Something along the lines of "I joined this center for the express purpose of utilizing the pool, however 4-5weeks of my membership dues will not be used because of this. It would have been appropriate to have been notified when I came in to join the center."

However, if you were planning on using other stuff in the gym anyway, no point in complaining. Maintenance is necessary sometimes. Although I agree it sucks that the pool will be out of commission for at least a month.

PS - I do agree with the above post, though, good business practice of the gym would compensate the members somehow. But I know my gym doesn't care about their members...just our $$
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Hi
    Have joined the gym and swimming at the Leisure Centre, after years of not entering these places "I dit it" .
    I have paid for a full year! NOW only to be told the swimming pool will be out for 4 to 5 weeks!!!
    Should I request what they are intending to do with the yearly members.
    I am totaly new to the area so have nobody to walk in with.....

What would you do?

Hi!

Not having seen what your membership contract states in cases like yours, it is hard to comment.

However, you could ask the Leisure Centre, that as you have joined and paid for a whole year to use BOTH the pool and the gym, that they add the amount of time that the pool will be out of use (or at least a percentage of it) onto the end of your year as a courtesy and way of compensation.

Think about it too, unless it is an absolutely dire emergency that has forced them to shut the pool, it is highly likely they would have known that it was to be closed for those few weeks when you signed up to join. They obviously didn't tell you so either, or you wouldn't have posted on here about it.

Make the most of the gym in the meantime, until the pool opens again. Does the gym do certain classes such as aerobics, spin classes, body sculpting etc etc? If they do, you could find it may be a blessing in disguise as you could try those out and may thoroughly enjoy them - if the pool had not closed, you might not have even considered them. Perhaps the Leisure Centre could let you do some classes for free that you may otherwise have had to pay for.

Hope you get it sorted and really hope you enjoy the gym! :flowerforyou:
  • OMGG
    Thanks for your replys.. I was thinking along the line of a letter. I live in the Dorset area.
  • CarolynInSC
    CarolynInSC Posts: 11 Member
    I agree with the idea of sending a letter, as well as considering the "blessing in disguise" perspective. I joined a gym at the end of July with the intention of only using the pool to do water aerobics with a friend and the group exercise classes. I have yet to use the pool and only been to a few classes--because I am so hooked on my resistance training program and other cardio equipment. I have seen amazing results through this workout routine.

My other thought is to use a lot of "honey" (sweetness) when writing any letter. Most people are willing to consider assisting or compensating someone who is not on the complaining or attack mode. Best wishes in your new adventure! Congrats on joining the leisure center.
  • OMGG
    letter it will be...

if i dont go to the L Centre i would be pileing more pounds on..................... just cant seem to get my diet right :-(
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I have found that expressing "disappointment" is much more effective than expressing anger in a letter.

Along the lines of...I'm so pleased to be a new member, but I was so disappointed to learn of the pool closing. Woiuld it be possible to.....fill in what you want them to give you here.

Good luck!
  • OMGG
    thanks..
    hope your all doing well
This discussion has been closed.