The Power of Chocolate

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Since I started my last cut, I've been struggling with my iron consumption (as tracked here on MFP). I eat red meat and leafy greens, but just couldn't get enough. I mentioned it on my news feed and one of my friends suggested dark chocolate.

Smart thinking - I looked into it and 20 grams of dark chocolate contain about 5% of my daily requirement of iron. And it was one of the foods that I started eating less of in order to drop the weight. Sure enough, I added it back in and that's what was missing from my diet.

Lesson learned. Also, if you are craving chocolate, it might not be something to control or fight. With the iron and potassium content, it can be a very, very good component of a balanced diet.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I only buy dark chocolate these days. It satisfies my craving for chocolate but I'm satisfied with a smaller portion of it. When I have milk chocolate in the house I'm okay for a couple of days and then there's an "incident" where I have a pile of Dove wrappers in the trash but no actual chocolate left.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I only buy dark chocolate these days. It satisfies my craving for chocolate but I'm satisfied with a smaller portion of it. When I have milk chocolate in the house I'm okay for a couple of days and then there's an "incident" where I have a pile of Dove wrappers in the trash but no actual chocolate left.

That is one thing I've learned about chocolate. Milk chocolate tends to have that effect, while dark chocolate actually makes the craving go away. It took me a little while to get used the the difference, but I much prefer dark - really expensive good dark chocolate now. I whisper "Theo" in my dreams.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've been buying Ghirardelli because I like the individual squares.

My current favorite is the Cabernet Matinee. "The luxuriously deep and velvety dark chocolate in Cabernet Matinee™ is infused with the tart flavor of blackberries and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes delivering unrivaled chocolate intensity. Experience a moment of timeless pleasure with Ghirardelli's Intense Dark™ chocolate."
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've been buying Ghirardelli because I like the individual squares.

My current favorite is the Cabernet Matinee. "The luxuriously deep and velvety dark chocolate in Cabernet Matinee™ is infused with the tart flavor of blackberries and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes delivering unrivaled chocolate intensity. Experience a moment of timeless pleasure with Ghirardelli's Intense Dark™ chocolate."

That's got to have lots of vitamins and minerals, right???
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    That's why I eat so much dark chocolate!

:wink: