That Dang Processed Food! DEVIL!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I only get to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. Sure, I can eat 1200 calories of chips. That isn't even a food that triggers an all out pigout for me. Except Pringles. I think they put crack in those. But even one serving of chips could have gone to something with nutritional value. Is this for weight or for health? If it's really for health, shouldn't we all be reducing our intake of high calorie, low nutrient foods?

not all of us eat 1200 cals a day to lose weight. IMHO health includes all things in moderation no one is suggesting eat ALL the chips.

Pass the chips please - I'll have some of both :bigsmile:

^^^^This!!!! 1200 calories is not enough and not healthy. I'd rather eat a sensible amount of calories, the majority of those calories made up of 'healthy' foods and the rest of the calories are for foods that are not so functional. Pass the chips!!! Can I get a beer to wash those down?

I am far healthier and better nourished now on 1200 calories of fruits and vegetables plus a multivitamin than I ever was on 3000 calories a day of junkfood and no vitamin. If I eat more than 1200 calories I won't lose the last of this weight. If I eat around 1500 I will gain weight (albeit slowly).

But for those who are more active, I guess if you want to use low nutrient foods to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain, go for it.

You must be really short to gain weight on 1500 calories

Don't know what age the poster is but...for those of us that are older...we don't get to eat as much...

sigh:frown:
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    But for those who are more active, I guess if you want to use low nutrient foods to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain, go for it.

I really actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!

I'm pretty sure it's more work to think rationally than it is to pass judgement on people for eating some chips.

I'm not judging anyone. When PMS hits this month I may very well do the same thing with some dark chocolate. Calling it what it is isn't judging. That is what we do when we choose palatable foods with little or no nutritional value. It's fine, we do other things for that, too. Like drink coffee. I'm about to finish off my third cup right now.

You may want to reread your statement and clarify how that's not coming off as judging and condescending. :flowerforyou:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I only get to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. Sure, I can eat 1200 calories of chips. That isn't even a food that triggers an all out pigout for me. Except Pringles. I think they put crack in those. But even one serving of chips could have gone to something with nutritional value. Is this for weight or for health? If it's really for health, shouldn't we all be reducing our intake of high calorie, low nutrient foods?

not all of us eat 1200 cals a day to lose weight. IMHO health includes all things in moderation no one is suggesting eat ALL the chips.

^^^^This!!!! 1200 calories is not enough and not healthy. I'd rather eat a sensible amount of calories, the majority of those calories made up of 'healthy' foods and the rest of the calories are for foods that are not so functional. Pass the chips!!! Can I get a beer to wash those down?

I am far healthier and better nourished now on 1200 calories of fruits and vegetables plus a multivitamin than I ever was on 3000 calories a day of junkfood and no vitamin. If I eat more than 1200 calories I won't lose the last of this weight. If I eat around 1500 I will gain weight (albeit slowly).

You do know that a lot of multivitamins are manufactured in a lab rather than being natural don't you, pretty sure that has to count as processed in anyones book
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The proof is in -

People who don't eat junk food are cranky!!!:wink:
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I did chemistry, and now I'm on my way to be a food science engineer - aka. an evil mastermind in training, apparently... Since I know what the label says, does that mean it' healthier for me then? Or, what if I make those ingredients, cook myself a nice batch of dorritos in our test-lab, does that then mean it's a home cooked meal and therefor of course healthier?

:huh: :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I really actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!

I'm pretty sure it's more work to think rationally than it is to pass judgement on people for eating some chips.

I'm not judging anyone. When PMS hits this month I may very well do the same thing with some dark chocolate. Calling it what it is isn't judging. That is what we do when we choose palatable foods with little or no nutritional value. It's fine, we do other things for that, too. Like drink coffee. I'm about to finish off my third cup right now.

wooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The sound you makes as you going blazing by the point.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I did chemistry, and now I'm on my way to be a food science engineer - aka. an evil mastermind in training, apparently... Since I know what the label says, does that mean it' healthier for me then? Or, what if I make those ingredients, cook myself a nice batch of dorritos in our test-lab, does that then mean it's a home cooked meal and therefor of course healthier?

well cook me up some and I will consider it home made :bigsmile:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I prefer sweet potato chips, and I love to cook. So... I make my own chips from sweet potatoes at the farmer's market.

Maybe to some people, not eating "processed" food such as both chips shown here is more of a moral decision (Kind of like some vegetarians and vegans) just for themselves to adhere by. Most people I know that avoid processed things have allergies or intolerances. Personally, I'd just prefer to support my local farmer and make 'em myself.

Want to start by saying...I cook most of my meals from scratch...I supplement with processed...

I found your use of the words "moral decision" interesting...so...while I too support local farmers...I wondered about the people that work in food processing plants...

If we all stopped buying processed...or even cut our consumption in half...what would happen to those people that work in the food processing industry?

I found this article interesting...we would impact 1 1/2 million people...

http://trade.gov/td/ocg/report08_processedfoods.pdf
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is why I use the Fooducate app on my phone... if I'm unsure I just scan the barcode it tells you all the yucky stuff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

So is judgement home made or highly processed?

did we agree on a burning calories or consuming calories?

I'm really confused now on how I should log my judgements .
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Now I'm a crisp addict, but I don't eat them everyday anymore. I have treats in moderation, the rest I eat healthy. Some days I may want some chocolate, some days crisps. I would have both those crisps in moderation. Kettle chips are obvi healthier however, more guilt free. I would of purchased those over the doritos probably. But there is nothing with either, if you aren't about healthy eating, go ahead and eat as many as you want, but log them and you'll still live.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people just like to make things on their own from scratch? I enjoy making my own condiments, snacks, etc. I think in the long run it will probably end up being healthier than eating food dyes and artificial flavorings. Processed food isn't evil, it's just generally not as good as the real stuff.

OH, then can you please make me some homemade Doritos that taste as GOOD as Doritos? :smile: Seriously, though, I love making stuff from scratch, healthy, nice and simple foods, too. That's the bulk of my food stuffs. Keeps me off BP meds and keeps the 'beetus the hell away from me (damn family history of horrible lifestyles mixed with genetics :grumble: ).

But sometimes, I just want some dang chips. From a mylar bag. And NOT kale. Never kale:laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about Devil's food...

051103076-01-devils-food-cake-recipe_xlg.jpg
  • williams969
    Options
    I thought this was about Devil's food...

051103076-01-devils-food-cake-recipe_xlg.jpg

Oh, just changed my mine. Eff the chips, GIMME THAT :love:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

All yours! By the way, they're both processed foods. Technically so are the raisins I eat, too, though. One has MSG and one doesn't, that stands out for me because a friend of mine gets migraines from it. You can have her chips, too.

Everyone knows that by processed they are speaking of foods made in a Corporate manufacturing, factory environment.

These overly technical terms are nonsense. We weren't eating boxed, packaged, manufactured food like substances over 50-60 years ago. Foods were made from scratch.

Go ahead and eat those preservatives and food dyes. They are known to be unhealthy in the human body.

My grandmother grew up on boxed, packaged, manufactured food. More than 60 years ago. Try again.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

All yours! By the way, they're both processed foods. Technically so are the raisins I eat, too, though. One has MSG and one doesn't, that stands out for me because a friend of mine gets migraines from it. You can have her chips, too.

Everyone knows that by processed they are speaking of foods made in a Corporate manufacturing, factory environment.

These overly technical terms are nonsense. We weren't eating boxed, packaged, manufactured food like substances over 50-60 years ago. Foods were made from scratch.

Go ahead and eat those preservatives and food dyes. They are known to be unhealthy in the human body.

See, I tend to avoid preservatives and food dyes, too. But have you ever looked at a cookbook from the 50's? Ghastly stuff. Try 75-100 years back to get to a time without overly processed foods.

I stand corrected on the time line. You know what I was getting at though.

It is disturbing how cooking from scratch seems to be a lost art. Hardly anyone knows how to cook anymore. I just shake my head.

I think that's a shame, too. But it is a completely separate issue from whether 'overly' processed foods are inherently bad for you or not.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I only have one question for the OP......

Why Weis kettle chips and not the far superior

00041780001283_full.jpg
  • williams969
    Options

Mmm, mmm, 1950's homemade food:

50104f1f04cec.preview-300.jpg

No, thanks! 1950's food looks like sadness :-(
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

See, I tend to avoid preservatives and food dyes, too. But have you ever looked at a cookbook from the 50's? Ghastly stuff. Try 75-100 years back to get to a time without overly processed foods.
    50 years? 100 years? Lol, try at least 2000 years.

The most common flavouring agent used in ancient Rome was a sauce called garum. It was basically fish guts (the flesh fetched a higher price unprocessed) that were salted and treated with preservatives, heat-cured, fermented into liquid, decanted then seasoned.

All of this was done on an industrial scale and the end-result was shipped in sealed and branded amphorae all over the Mediterranean basin. There were myriads of variants based on the fish used, the exact process and the flavourings added... we've even found ads for various brands...

For the record, some people already complained that it was "unhealthy".
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

So is judgement home made or highly processed?

did we agree on a burning calories or consuming calories?

I'm really confused now on how I should log my judgements .

Jo... I think you should log them as 1 calorie burned per second... it takes a lot.... ;)