40,000!! What would you do...?

Options
jmurray90
jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
So I read an article this morning about some college students that bought a couch for $20 at a Salvation Army and while going through it to clean it up found envelopes totaling $40,000. One of the envelopes had a name on it, they contacted her and decided to give the money back...

Soooo... you find $40,000, what would you do with the money? Return it... or keep it? (:

Replies

• ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That's easy. Return the money, especially given that there was a name with it.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    If it had a name on it I'd definitely give it back. No name on it? I'd probably contact the police and let them hold it until the owner claimed it. It it's not claimed then it's mine!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, I would turn it in. Karma, baby!! I went out of my way this past weekend to turn in a wallet I found. Ended up walking to the police station where the officer thanked me for my honesty and commented that the lady's wallet was completely intact. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did anything else. It's as simple as that.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    $40,000 i would give back. That is a life altering amount. If it was a lesser amount - maybe less than $1,000 i might keep it if there was no name.

Given that there was a name, it's a no-brainer.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how muchit is, give it back if you know who owns it.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, I would turn it in. Karma, baby!! I went out of my way this past weekend to turn in a wallet I found. Ended up walking to the police station where the officer thanked me for my honesty and commented that the lady's wallet was completely intact. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did anything else. It's as simple as that.

Karma???? Aww jeez, c'maaan.

dogbert_karma.gif

That aside, I'd give it back because I'm not that kind of *kitten*, not because of some BS cosmic scorekeeper.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'd keep it. Probably take two weeks laying poolside at an all-inclusive resort to get over the guilt, but I'd survive.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a gift from the gods and cope in the manner Road Dog suggested...
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Those of you that know me know my struggle, know I work constantly, and strive to be a good person in every aspect of my life.

I would consider that MY good karma finally giving me break.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    That much money? I'd give it back. They've probably been saving it for years after all!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I take it and try to double it if I doubled it then I'd give the $40K back if not oh well. I was always taught anyone who isn't smart enough to hold on to their money shouldn't have it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I'd turn it in. My integrity is worth more to me than that.

That said...
    AZyamVX.gif
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Finder's keepers.

I don't believe in Karma.
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'd have to sleep on that..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a gift from the gods and cope in the manner Road Dog suggested...

Truth is that nobody is 100% sure what they would do until they are faced with that decision. Speaking of decisions -- Cabo or Cancun?
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Truth is that nobody is 100% sure what they would do until they are faced with that decision. Speaking of decisions -- Cabo or Cancun?

My parents have been to both...I've only been to Cabo... Cabo was great, I enjoyed myself...my parents say Cancun is better... but I haven;t been, so I say Cabo.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was on a business trip and there was a gas receipt hanging off the pump for $50 cash and all I was paying was $15. I brought them both home but when I filled out my expense report I used the $15 receipt. I wonder how long I would think about the 40,000?
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I believe the person that was saving the money didn't believe in banks and stored the money in the couch, when she passed away the couch was donated. They gave the money to a relative of the person.

I hate to say this but that kind of money would change my life and I would keep it. I know it may not be the right thing to do but I would regret giving it back.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I actually read that this was an older widowed women who was in the hospital and while there, her kids gave the couch to the salvation army without realizing the money that was in there. The woman didn't like depositing her money in banks, so she did stored it in her couch. I would have definitely given the money back, whether I knew this or not.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Return. Not only is it the right thing to do but Karma is a bltch.