Alternative to my sugar loaded morning coffees?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So after some thought I have figured out that a lot and I mean a LOT of my calorie intake happens in the mornings with my coffee's. I have a couple of cups at home with 2-3 sugars in each then usually hit up Tim Horton's for a medium Triple Triple, which is going to be halted now that I am aware that there is over 300 calories in each cup and the carbs are insane also. My question is what could I drink instead that would be naturally sweet but not kill me calorie/carb wise.
    This is an easy one. :bigsmile: Use less sugar and go for a small Tim Horton's.

OR

Continue what you're doing and cut some calories from another snack.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. You'd have to pry my sugar-loaded coffee outta my cold dead hands!!!

:drinker:

1229.gif

Except my is Truvia loaded!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Substitute honey for sugar. 1/2 tsp is as sweet as the sugar you now use.
    Why substitute? Use less.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my coffee!! I did learn to tone it down a bit though. I use 1 packet of Stevia, plus a measured tablespoon of flavored creamer. I can have 2 cups of coffee for 70 calories.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My dietician said stevia is the only safe alternative to sugar, so it's what I use now. If I'm out and they don't have stevia, I just use Splenda.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Black coffee.

This. I used to sweeten mine, and then I realized that black coffee does not taste bad if you are getting the good stuff.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I want to go black eventually but the taste just seems so bitter! :P
  • marleyskye05
    marleyskye05 Posts: 138
    Options
    Stevia all the way! I am actually drinking my morning coffee right now with vanilla flavored stevia drops. 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 everything. Some people don't like the taste/aftertaste but I don't notice anything.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I could never give up my coffee. Change to Sugar Free creamer. Most of them taste just as good as the one loaded with sugar. My favorite is sugar free Italian sweet cream. It tastes great with very few calories or carbs.
    I go once a week and get my favorite coffee shop Latte now.
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    After 30+ years of drinking coffee I just quit a couple of days ago. I'm tired of wasting calories on creamer. It's not been that bad. I'm drinking either hot tea with nothing in it or a diet Dr. Pepper in the mornings so I don't get the caffeine withdrawal headaches.
  • dayhadley
    dayhadley Posts: 46
    Options
    If you're watching carbs, try sugar-free French Vanilla creamer, Stevia (or Splenda/Equal), and for extra deliciousness, try light whipped cream or light cool whip. I used to buy the sugar-free caramel or hazelnut syrup, but my concoction was too sweet with that stuff in it.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I switched to a coffee protein shake. Almond milk, cold coffee (instant or brewed), 2 scoops chocolate protein powder, and sometimes some sugar free syrup. Makes a good approximation of an iced mocha, with a lot less calories, plus protein and fiber.

I just can't do black coffee, but without caffeine I'm dead in the water.
  • snorkizzle
    snorkizzle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    used to only be able to drink sweet milk loaded coffee. try to get some good dark roast and just try it. in a few weeks you'll adjust. now I cant even drink a sip of the sweet stuff because it tastes nasty ;)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I use sweetener. Any will do. Suits me fine. I still need sweet coffees.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As a coffe lover I agree with a lot of you that I will not give up coffee!
    What I have done is cut down to 1 packet of sugar and use a small
    amount of 1/2 and 1/2 so the coffee is dark. I hope to cut down to 1/2
    a packet of sugar soon.
    Good luck
  • amyparrish9
    Options
    coffee with regular cream and sugar is not that many calories. Especially if you're making it at home.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sweetner with milk instead of sugar and cream. Its not the sugar that's the worst its the cream. Like many posters have suggested just scale it back every week or few days...
    Tripple tripple
    Double double
    2 cream 1 sugar
    Regular
    Regular with milk
    One sugar no milk
    Half sugar no milk
    Black

Once you go black you never switch back...
  • amyparrish9
    Options
    I refuse to give up my coffee or creamer... I just adjust to it and still get plenty of food LOL It's my mentality of keeping something normal when so much else changed :)

I don't really miss anything else and if I want it, I will eat it and adjust but coffee, creamer, starbucks etc.. nope, me giving it up won't ever happen so I am not going to stress over that :)

Agreed!
  • theserpah
    theserpah Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to drink that much coffee as well. I was convinced it was the coffee I couldn't live without. Then I told myself to give up the sugar, to only add a little cream. Took me about a week to adjust but you know what, I realized it was the sugar and not the coffee that I was powerless against. My coffee intake dropped from 4-5 a day to 2.
  • joncienmecom
    Options
    I had the same problem!! I was determined not to give up my morning coffee or creamer either, plus I live in Seattle so coffee is a way of life here. I switched to a venti sugar free vanilla soy latte with a extra shot. This is still 200 calories, but a ok splurge once a week or so. I drink coffee with Soy Milk and trivia at home I have also used almond milk and while its not the same I've lost over 15 lbs since Christmas.:smile: