Variations of Deadlifts - Please Explain

Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Everybody pretty much covered it for the most part. Conventional works more muscle groups, whereas the SLDL is primarily for hamstrings and lower back.

Mixed Grip: Conventional: More muscle groups / grip allows you to use heavier weight
    Double Overhand Conventional: Same as above but the grip is a limiting factor, can be safer on your back because your grip will fail before the rest of your body, great if you have pre-existing back problems.
    Sumo: Little less leg drive...
    Stiff Legged: Hamstring / low back. **Starts from the FLOOR**
    Romanian: Similar to SLDL, bar starts at your waist and you only go down until you feel a good stretch, roughly just below knees and then pull back up
    Snatch Grip: Very wide grip taken, forces you to get lower, good way to also work your upper back.
    Deficit: Stand an inch or two above the floor, puts the bar further below you, more challenging
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options

By the way, their head movements are terrrible in these don't mimic that form.

Can you elaborate on the guy's head movements please?
    He is over-exaggerating "looking up"

He IS way over-exaggerating looking up, and he shouldn't even be looking up in the first place.
    You want to keep your entire spine in a neutral position (think of having a ruler pressed against your spine). Don't look up at all. Keep your chin tucked slightly. It's odd at first not looking in the mirror the whole time but you get used to it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much head position matters. Some of the pro's say through your head-up, some say look straight head... just find what works best for you.
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

By the way, their head movements are terrrible in these don't mimic that form.

Can you elaborate on the guy's head movements please?
    He is over-exaggerating "looking up"

He IS way over-exaggerating looking up, and he shouldn't even be looking up in the first place.
    You want to keep your entire spine in a neutral position (think of having a ruler pressed against your spine). Don't look up at all. Keep your chin tucked slightly. It's odd at first not looking in the mirror the whole time but you get used to it.

From Starting Strength:
    Looking in the right direction Eyeball position is also often overlooked when you assume the starting position. If you look straight down at the floor when you pull, the bar will usually swing out away from your legs. It is easier to keep your chest up and your upper back tight if your eyes are focused on a point that places your neck in an anatomically neutral position; this point can be on the floor (if you’re in a big room) or on the wall facing the platform. If the floor is your gaze point, look about 12–15 feet in front of you. Looking up is not any better for the deadlift than it is for the squat, as we discussed at length in that chapter. Actually, looking straight down is not terribly detrimental to the squat, but it will make the deadlift harder most of the time. The functions of correct eye gaze direction are to keep the neck in a safe, useful position during the movement, to aid in placing the back at the correct angle for the mechanics of the lift, and to provide a visual reference for balance purposes. Looking up never works well except in the bench press.

Rippetoe, Mark (2013-11-07). Starting Strength (Kindle Locations 3418-3426). The Aasgaard Company. Kindle Edition.

I have to keep reminding myself of this.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much head position matters. Some of the pro's say through your head-up, some say look straight head... just find what works best for you.

Within reason... basically this ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFy7O3-kKfM

He looks up.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options

He looks up.

Looks up? Yes.
    Forces his head back and wrenches his neck in order to look up? No
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Both of them have crappy form. Her lower back drops into a heavy curve as she's rising (that's just begging for a lower back injury/strain) and she's bending her neck back, and he's also bending his neck back. Picture if a light pole was laid along your back and across the back of your head. You wouldn't want the position of the pole to change in relation to where it was touching you through the entire movement.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Personally. I think this is just cheating when it comes to weight lifting.:grumble:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5, so I do my deadlifts like this:

deadlift-315-o.gif

I'm interested in knowing the difference between that, and a stiff-legged deadlift.

do-you-even-deadlift.gif

Specifically, I'd assume you'd have to use less weight to do a stiff-legged deadlift, right? Also, do they work different muscles? Which is the more effective of the two? Pros and cons?

Any information would be great.

One is an actual deadlift. The other is a hamstring stretch <snark>

Seriously there are like seven different deadlifting forms that I can think of, and those are just two of them. Stronglifts has you doing conventional deads, but it's good to learn the other forms. Research them, study them, understand what makes each one different. Tons of instructional video out there.

Conventional deadlifts
    Sumo
    RDL
    Jeffersons
    Stiff leg
    Straight leg
    American

http://youtu.be/9CleNQoKSb0. <-- a fraction of the knowledge out there.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

He looks up.

Looks up? Yes.
    Forces his head back and wrenches his neck in order to look up? No

Good thing I mentioned "within reason" huh? Dat der reading comprehension of the gods.
  • petter26
    petter26 Posts: 9
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe explains this was just an assistance exercise for the deadlift. I don't do them personally.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rippetoe-explains-the-romanian-deadlift-rdl/