Exercising with Lupus

Options
So as you can guess from the title, I have Lupus and am on many different medications that fight me every step of my weight loss. I have, however, managed to lose 35 lbs so far and am still going strong. I am having a hard time finding exercises I can do that don't kill me...lol. I already do walking and sometimes I break into a jog with it, but I don't want to push myself too hard because it is very easy to put myself into a flare. So any advice from anyone that knows what I'm goin' through would be appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I don't have personal experience of Lupus but within my job I have worked with people who have Lupus from an occupation health angle.

I would strongly suggest that you discuss this with your doctor/consultant and see what they would recommend you can/can't try. They'll have far more experience and knowledge to answer this question.

Also - you are a great judge of what you can and can't do, or do and don't feel able to. If you think you could manage something then by all means try it! Maybe speak to the fitness instructor/gym (if using) beforehand so they are aware and you have someone who might understand if you need to stop/need help etc.
  • staceylw31
    staceylw31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I don't have personal experience of Lupus but within my job I have worked with people who have Lupus from an occupation health angle.

I would strongly suggest that you discuss this with your doctor/consultant and see what they would recommend you can/can't try. They'll have far more experience and knowledge to answer this question.

Also - you are a great judge of what you can and can't do, or do and don't feel able to. If you think you could manage something then by all means try it! Maybe speak to the fitness instructor/gym (if using) beforehand so they are aware and you have someone who might understand if you need to stop/need help etc.

Thank you for the response! I don't go to a Gym because it is too expensive so I am trying to exercise at home. I think I am just going to keep everything low impact for now. I was just curious what other Lupus suffers do as far as exercise.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't have Lupus, but I have Lyme Disease which has very similar flares and symptoms. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and the best advice I can give you is this:

1) Strength training takes less of a toll on my body than cardio.
    2) Cardio is still possible, but (as much as possible) stick to low impact and watch your energy levels.
    3) Again, watch your energy levels...and STOP and take a day or two off if you feel like your body is starting to fight back. But know the difference between the GOOD "I just worked out" pain and the BAD "I've pushed myself too far" pain.
    4) Take things slow. Build up tolerance to both cardio and weights and you'll see your body being able to do more than you give it credit for.
    5) Remember that, while you will often see the "no one is a special snowflake" messages around here...those people are referring to people who do NOT suffer from health issues. Use your friends for motivation, but know that you will probably have to do this at a slower rate than they will. And that's NOT a bad thing.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So as you can guess from the title, I have Lupus and am on many different medications that fight me every step of my weight loss. I have, however, managed to lose 35 lbs so far and am still going strong. I am having a hard time finding exercises I can do that don't kill me...lol. I already do walking and sometimes I break into a jog with it, but I don't want to push myself too hard because it is very easy to put myself into a flare. So any advice from anyone that knows what I'm goin' through would be appreciated! :happy:

I also have rampant systemic Lupus ( and in the three years since being diagnosed have never been in remission ) and take a lot of meds. I started MFP on April 10th, 2013 and at the time was able to walk about 5-10 minutes with a cane ( having come off a walker just weeks before ).
    I so far have lost 50 pounds and walk now at exercise speed for an hour without a cane and can walk leisurely more than that. I am not to the point where I can do other exercises for any amount of time, but am glad that I am where I am at at this point of my life.
    I used to be an avid weightlifter, but don't think that now being past 65 I will get back to that level of activity. My plan is to walk a bit more ( in terms of time ) one month and increase my speed the next and switch off between endurance and speed. If the time comes where I can do more or different exercises, I will do so. If however walking is all I can do, I am not going to complain, because no matter what most ( younger ) MFP members think, yes, walking is exercise !
    Good Luck to you !
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with systemic lupus 17 years ago. Fortunately my lupus is fairly well controlled, but I do have issues. Exercise is one thing that I have struggled with for a long time.

3) Again, watch your energy levels...and STOP and take a day or two off if you feel like your body is starting to fight back. But know the difference between the GOOD "I just worked out" pain and the BAD "I've pushed myself too far" pain.

This is something I really struggle with. I have a hard time knowing what is good pain and what is bad pain and I'm so afraid of setting off a flare that I tend to (probably) take it too easy. I constantly have mind games going on trying to figure out if I'm being a hypochondriac which is getting in the way of my overall health or if I am actually having pain that indicates a problem.

Right now I struggle most with fatigue. Finding the time to workout is only half the battle. Finding the energy is even harder. I work full time with a one-hour commute each way. By the time I get home I can go to sleep even at 6:00. I can't get up earlier in the morning because I'm already not getting enough sleep and I have to get up at 5:30 to get to work on time.

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm not much help. I guess I can just commiserate. Lately I've been thinking that regular walking would probably be the best way to go even though in my head I'd like to do much more than that. I just don't think my body could handle it.

Good luck!
  • danaaae
    danaaae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have lupus, thankfully only on one medication, but it still affects what I am able to do. For the most part I stick with walking and free weights. Anything that involves jumping around too much is out of the question due to joint pain. I have done that kind of exercise before, but I prefer not to. Basically I just listen to my body and do what I can. I exercise at least three days out of the week. If I was unable to go to the gym I would probably do body weight exercises like squats and lunges, etc., to keep from letting my muscles atrophy too much and of course walk. If I feel fatigued I rest. A lot of times my body lets me know when I need a break, so I take it.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.
  • staceylw31
    Options
    I was diagnosed with systemic lupus 17 years ago. Fortunately my lupus is fairly well controlled, but I do have issues. Exercise is one thing that I have struggled with for a long time.

This is something I really struggle with. I have a hard time knowing what is good pain and what is bad pain and I'm so afraid of setting off a flare that I tend to (probably) take it too easy. I constantly have mind games going on trying to figure out if I'm being a hypochondriac which is getting in the way of my overall health or if I am actually having pain that indicates a problem.

Right now I struggle most with fatigue. Finding the time to workout is only half the battle. Finding the energy is even harder. I work full time with a one-hour commute each way. By the time I get home I can go to sleep even at 6:00. I can't get up earlier in the morning because I'm already not getting enough sleep and I have to get up at 5:30 to get to work on time.

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm not much help. I guess I can just commiserate. Lately I've been thinking that regular walking would probably be the best way to go even though in my head I'd like to do much more than that. I just don't think my body could handle it.

Good luck!

wow thanks for all the replies!! I also have a hard time telling myself too much is too much. I was doing squats the other day and then cleaning all day yesterday. Screwed up my knee and was in pain all night and all day today. I always push myself too much because I am hard headed lol. I was also having a lot of fatigue, but I increased my water to 6 bottles a day and the fatigue is much better. I also cut out sugar. These replies were exactly what I was looking for so thank you!!
  • staceylw31
    Options
    I have lupus, thankfully only on one medication, but it still affects what I am able to do. For the most part I stick with walking and free weights. Anything that involves jumping around too much is out of the question due to joint pain. I have done that kind of exercise before, but I prefer not to. Basically I just listen to my body and do what I can. I exercise at least three days out of the week. If I was unable to go to the gym I would probably do body weight exercises like squats and lunges, etc., to keep from letting my muscles atrophy too much and of course walk. If I feel fatigued I rest. A lot of times my body lets me know when I need a break, so I take it.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

Sorry these replies are days later, but THANK YOU!! I am trying to work myself up to exercising 30 minutes a day 3 times a week and then up to 45 minutes a day 4 days a week. That is my goal, but it just frustrates the hell outta me that I have to start SLOWER than everyone else. My roommate has lost about 85 lbs and looks fantastic...me...I have the hardest time losing 5 stinkin' lbs lol. I was able to exercise tonight (YAY) even though I could only do 20 minutes. I keep telling myself baby steps, but I am so ready to lose this weight that I have a hard time going SLOW. I did find out the hard way though that jumping is a no no...:ohwell:

Again...thank you so much for the replies!
  • staceylw31
    Options

I also have rampant systemic Lupus ( and in the three years since being diagnosed have never been in remission ) and take a lot of meds. I started MFP on April 10th, 2013 and at the time was able to walk about 5-10 minutes with a cane ( having come off a walker just weeks before ).
    I so far have lost 50 pounds and walk now at exercise speed for an hour without a cane and can walk leisurely more than that. I am not to the point where I can do other exercises for any amount of time, but am glad that I am where I am at at this point of my life.
    I used to be an avid weightlifter, but don't think that now being past 65 I will get back to that level of activity. My plan is to walk a bit more ( in terms of time ) one month and increase my speed the next and switch off between endurance and speed. If the time comes where I can do more or different exercises, I will do so. If however walking is all I can do, I am not going to complain, because no matter what most ( younger ) MFP members think, yes, walking is exercise !
    Good Luck to you !

Oh I have seen those on here that do not consider it exercise, and yet so many people have lost weight by...<gasp> WALKING...lol. I saw where one person on here said walking a dog is not exercise. Well I bet if she were to walk my two crazy dogs she would most DEFINITELY change her tune :laugh:
  • staceylw31
    Options
    I don't have Lupus, but I have Lyme Disease which has very similar flares and symptoms. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and the best advice I can give you is this:

1) Strength training takes less of a toll on my body than cardio.
    2) Cardio is still possible, but (as much as possible) stick to low impact and watch your energy levels.
    4) Take things slow. Build up tolerance to both cardio and weights and you'll see your body being able to do more than you give it credit for.
    5) Remember that, while you will often see the "no one is a special snowflake" messages around here...those people are referring to people who do NOT suffer from health issues. Use your friends for motivation, but know that you will probably have to do this at a slower rate than they will. And that's NOT a bad thing.

yes I know it is definitely similar and often times misdiagnosed as Lupus. I have found a nice low impact workout on Youtube by Fitnessblender. It works you pretty good, but not too much. I haven't gotten to the part yet where I can tell the difference between pains, but I am sure I will get there. My hope is to come off a lot of my medicine when I do finally lose this weight. I know I won't come off all of it, but most of it would be GREAT!