OMG There is cake in the break room!

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Liar - there is no cake in the break room! Hmph.

Last week we celebrated a b-day and my work bestie made a smores cake - OMG so good! Chocolate cake with marshmallow frosting and graham craker crumbs on top. Thank goodness I hate to bake...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    now I want cobbler.

I used snickerdoodle dough for the topping. It's awesome, but totally not filling so I don't think it'll be a repeat.

Snickerdoodles, I know why we are friends. This and walnut chocolate chip cookies are pretty much the only cookies served in my household.

Have you tried the brown butter snickerdoodles yet? You have to, they're amazing.

Brown butter.....:huh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    now I want cobbler.

I used snickerdoodle dough for the topping. It's awesome, but totally not filling so I don't think it'll be a repeat.

Snickerdoodles, I know why we are friends. This and walnut chocolate chip cookies are pretty much the only cookies served in my household.

Have you tried the brown butter snickerdoodles yet? You have to, they're amazing.

Are you asking what it is?

You take your butter before you start baking and melt it over the stove, and then you cook it until it turns brown. It gives your dough or batter or whatever a toffee undertone. It's fabulous.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    CAKE FOR BREAKFAST!?

going-to-die-_addie_.gif
    If there were cake for breakfast, I would never skip breakfast. #truestory

And this is why the Acrylics's never skip breakfast.

Although it's not always cake. This morning we had cobbler.
    I'll be over tomorrow! :drinker:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    now I want cobbler.

You take your butter before you start baking and melt it over the stove, and then you cook it until it turns brown. It gives your dough or batter or whatever a toffee undertone. It's fabulous.

ahhhh ok, got it, um but this sounds similar to clarified butter or ghee doesn't the butter separate?
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I went home and had myself a banana cup cake with vanilla frosting. I made them last night along with some banana bread :tongue:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    now I want cobbler.

ahhhh ok, got it, um but this sounds similar to clarified butter or ghee doesn't the butter separate?

At first it foams a lot and then it browns. It's just like making toffee but without the sugar.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    CAKE FOR BREAKFAST!?

going-to-die-_addie_.gif

I'll save you a piece. :flowerforyou:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    CAKE FOR BREAKFAST!?

going-to-die-_addie_.gif

W00t. No cherry or peach, please. Allergies.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    CAKE FOR BREAKFAST!?

going-to-die-_addie_.gif

W00t. No cherry or peach, please. Allergies.

It's apple. That's the only fruit that can be cobblered (yes I just made cobbler a verb. Come at me) which Mr. Acrylics will eat.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Dear Cranq,

If you ever find that there is carrot cake in your breakroom, CALL ME IMMEDIATELY. I will need to "inspect" it, before you or anyone dives in.

Love,
    Me
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    for the cake:
    1 pckg white cake mix w/pudding
    1 tsp instant coffee
    1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
    1 tbs. coffee liqueur

for the filling:
    1 8ounce container marscarpone cheese
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
    2 tbs coffee liqueur

for the frosting:
    2 cups whipping cream
    1/4 cup confectioners sugar
    2 tbs coffee liqueur

garnish with cocoa powder and chocolate curls.

Preheat oven to 350, grease 3, 9" round cake pans. Prepare cake mix according to instructions, divide 2/3 of batter in to two pans, stir instant coffee into remaining batter and pour in to final pan. Bake ~ 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks, turn after 10 minutes.

For the filling: In mixer, combine marscarpone, confectioner's sugar and liqueur, beat until just smooth.

For the frosting: In a second bowl, beat cream, confectioners sugar and 1tbs liqueur until stiff peaks form.

Mix 1/2 cup of frosting into the filling mixture, store remaining frosting in fridge until ready to use.

Place one plain cake layer on plate. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in cake about 1 inch apart. Mix 1/4 cup coffee and 1tbs coffee liqueur, pour 1/3 of mixture over first cake layer. Spread top of cake with 1/2 of filling. Top with coffee flavored cake, poke holes, pour 1/3 of mixture and spread 1/2 of filling. Top with final cake layer, poke holes, pour...........

Spread frosting over top and sides, make cool swirly shapes on top, use cheese cloth to sprinkle cocoa powder and place chocolate curls artfully. Then destroy it all as soon as you dig in.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good, but if you ever run across a toffee flavored liqueur named Dooley's, use that instead of the coffee liqueur. Trust me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Today there's cake in my break room. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the recipe, Amber. I've stashed it for a rainy day. :wink:
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Oh. my. god. I am so jealous.......................
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    now I want cobbler.

There is a cookie company called The Brown Butter Cookie Company and they are yum!! I saw a billboard one day and drove over 50 miles to get to it from where I live and it was worth it just for all the free samples they offered.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    how+to+ruin+a+cake_fc42e5_5132818.jpg

I don't want cake anymore.
    Is this a Disney princess bachelorette party?
  • golf4g
    golf4g Posts: 58
    Options
    Question: Are you going to have some?
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    CAKE FOR BREAKFAST!?

going-to-die-_addie_.gif

How about apple crisp? http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/10/breakfast-apple-granola-crisp/

It's great with Greek Yogurt in the am.