Bananas are killing my macros

Options
amandzor
amandzor Posts: 386 Member
I eat a banana almost every morning. It's delicious, filling, but man does it kill my carb intake for the day.

Fruit constitutes most of my carbs for the day, especially if I eat an apple in the afternoons.

Usual carb additions throughout the day include brown rice, whole wheat tortillas and a fiber granola bar. Usually, I need these to meet my calorie goal.

Just wondering if anyone else has run in to this problem, and want to know if you reduced your fruit in take, or you just said to hell with it.

Edit: Also! I'll add that I'm still losing weight consistently. 2-3 pounds a week, and I'm in the gym 4-5 days after work, and try to do something active on the weekend (ride a bike, go for a walk)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I pretty much quit eating banana's for that reason.

Plus they are as filling as a cookie- so i'd rather just eat a cookie. I do buy a bunch every couple months to fill my banana craving- but I mostly have phased them out.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I decided not to worry too much about it. Fruits are complex carbs meaning our body processes it in a different, more efficient way. Keep eating fruits and veggies, and don't worry too much if you go a little over for carb goals. Just keep within caloric range
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your bananas have nearly the same number of carbs as the tortillas and rice. Why do they get the blame for killing your macros?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Banana > Rice or tortillas. Take out the simple carbs and enjoy the bananas.

Or just stop eating bananas.

Or just stop eating. That works too.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Its less than 18% of your daily goal, according to your diary.

Maybe just eat half a banana if it worries you that much?
  • amandzor
    Options
    Bananas get the blame because they're the most "extra" in my day. I'm probably fine with just yogurt for breakfast. But if I don't eat some kind of rice/carb with lunch, I get light-headed in the afternoon, and it affects my workout.

Tortillas usually get added to dinner to make my calorie goal.

I guess I could swap the tortilla for banana....but they just don't wrap around my veggies in the same way.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd pick a banana over the rice or tortillas, but that's just me. More micronutrients in a banana than rice or tortilla and I can usually use the potassium that a banana packs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use lettuce for wraps and tortilla's... nice substitute.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate bananas and apples. I eat them once in a blue moon, but I have to be craving them. I always choose cereal over bananas!
  • amandzor
    Options
    I use lettuce for wraps and tortilla's... nice substitute.

I always forget about lettuce wraps! I'll give that a try, as I love bananas. I think I was an ape in another life.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I eat them two or three times a week by cutting one up and putting it in my salad. My salads are weird, but combining fruit like raisins or bananas with veggies instead of just eating the fruit keeps me from having cravings and being hungry later. And that is all I worry about, not the number of carbs or sugar I end up with in a day. Of course I haven't been doing this long. Maybe it will spell some sort of weird health disaster later. If it does, I'll keep everyone posted on my way to pick out the casket. Or maybe the urn. Whichever is cheaper.
  • amandzor
    Options

I hear anorexia is great for hair loss too!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a low-carber, but have you looked for a low carb tortilla for wraps and such? I actually really like the ones I use. 60 calories, 7 g carbs, 5 g protein. It may help get your overall carb number down so you can still fit in bananas.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bananas get the blame because they're the most "extra" in my day. I'm probably fine with just yogurt for breakfast. But if I don't eat some kind of rice/carb with lunch, I get light-headed in the afternoon, and it affects my workout.

Tortillas usually get added to dinner to make my calorie goal.

I guess I could swap the tortilla for banana....but they just don't wrap around my veggies in the same way.

I'd say rather than adding a tortilla at the end of the day to merely meet your calorie goal, add a different snack or food that helps meet both your calorie goal and macro nutrient goal. Something that has more protein and fat and less carbs.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Haha, not that it matters, AT ALL, but rice and tortillas consist of complex carbohydrates whereas the banana is the one that consists of simple sugars...
  • JoeDenison
    JoeDenison Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every morning. It's delicious, filling, but man does it kill my carb intake for the day.

Fruit constitutes most of my carbs for the day, especially if I eat an apple in the afternoons.

Usual carb additions throughout the day include brown rice, whole wheat tortillas and a fiber granola bar. Usually, I need these to meet my calorie goal.

Just wondering if anyone else has run in to this problem, and want to know if you reduced your fruit in take, or you just said to hell with it.

It wasn't until I eliminated all carbs except low-starch veggies that my fat loss took off running. I eat no grains (i.e., no bread, tortillas, zip), no fruit, just veggies for my carb source. I eat 2 servings of veggies for Lunch and also again at dinner. This keeps my carbs to about 30-40g for the day. And 1g protein for each pound of lean body mass. When I get to my goal weight, I'll re-introduce some fruits to my diet. But they do nothing to hasten fat loss. Check my diary for examples.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I make room for a banana a day. Worth it IMO. If it doesn't work for you, try to find something else.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat a half banana with about a tablespoon of peanut butter every morning before I go to the gym and the other half as a mid morning snack later. It's the only thing that has worked to elimate foot cramps while I'm working out.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

It wasn't until I eliminated all carbs except low-starch veggies that my fat loss took off running. I eat no grains (i.e., no bread, tortillas, zip), no fruit, just veggies for my carb source. I eat 2 servings of veggies for Lunch and also again at dinner. This keeps my carbs to about 30-40g for the day. And 1g protein for each pound of lean body mass. When I get to my goal weight, I'll re-introduce some fruits to my diet. But they do nothing to hasten fat loss. Check my diary for examples.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your potassium from? It's one reason I keep fruit in my diet.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In my professional opinion, you aren't eating enough first of all. Second of all, you have your carb % set too low. The recommendation for carbs is 45-65% of total daily energy intake. For those who are exercising, there is also a recommedation of 6-10 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of lean body mass. The 50% you have your carb intake set at is well below that based on my cursory glance at your logs/profile. So my recommendation is to refigure your intake needs and keep eating the bananas. The vitamins and minerals in them make them well worth consuming.