Why Insanity?

Options

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why? Because their infomercial is really really good. I'm not being facetious. Everytime I come across it, I start digging around for my cell phone and/or wallet. It's just full of awesomeness.

It is a pretty dope infomercial.

I have admittedly never seen it.

If I had to guess, I would say that BeachBody's operating budget is spent in this order:

1) Marketing
    2) Other marketing
    3) More marketing
    4) New Product Development
    5) Marketing new products
    6) Fitness models
    7) Fitness instructors
    8) Exercise Science
    9) Nutrition Science

It's not to say their programs don't work - nor am I trying to denigrate anybody who does them. If you need a video/products to guide you through your exercise and diet, it's as good as any.

But i'm not sure you wouldn't have the exact same results if you did Burpees and Box Jumps for 50+ minutes everyday.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have friends that do it because they have a "go big or go home" type attitude. I personally would not put myself through that kind of punishment to lose weight, but then again, I don't like much cardio to begin with.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I completed Insanity twice. I "acquired it" from a friend when I had my come to Jesus moment at 245lbs. I honestly couldn't do it right out of the box due to my weight and general lack of physical preparedness. I set it aside and walked at least 4 miles a day till I could begin jogging and continued till I was down to about 230 with reasonable stamina.

Even then, my first "Fit Test" was dismal. Seriously, I'm prior military and was shocked at just how out of routine I had gotten. So I completed week one and thought I was going to die every time. I was only completing about 30% of that Shawn and those psycho robots were doing. (Note: the key isn't to copy them, it's to use the routine as best as you can till you reach your target heart rate). As the weeks went along my progress improved with my HR remained constant. At the end of the series, I would honestly say, I could keep up with the videos at about 75%. The differences between Day1 and Final Day Fit Tests were astounding.

The second time I completed Insanity (6 months later), I started out doing about 60% and ended up being able to do 85% at the end. Fit tests weren't dramatically different the second time around and it really started to get stale.

I tried to do a third time, but I could say what Shawn was before him and I simply became too tired of it to finish. I got my hands on P90X instead. (FYI: If you've completed Insanity, P90X is a joke and is rather pointless).
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    You make a great point... its not meant for beginners.
    On the flip side, if someone that is not in shape, does 50% of the workout (by taking more breaks), don't you think they are getting the same benefits (HIIT to the max)? For someone that is in better shape, to reach the same heart rate levels, it will require more work (so doing 100% of the video may end up giving the same calories burned for one person, as 40% for another).
    I honestly do insanity, because its convinient. I dont need equipment and I don't have to leave the house. I'm not in great shape, but I am naturally pretty athletic and stubborn. Starting the first month, I was able to do maybe 50% and worked up to 90% by the final week. Now starting the second month, I can keep up for about 70% of it. I am hopeful, that this will improve over the next 3 weeks.
    My theory is: If I am getting up at 4.30 to work out, I will make damn sure, that its worth it.

Just my two cents

Here is how I take it: we all have to start from somewhere at certain level, beginner or no beginner. Just like any fitness program, you have to start from somewhere. I started lifting weight using a pair of 5 pounds...I know 5 lb dumbbells get a lot of "poopoo" here but that was my beginner level. I progressed to a pair of 40 now and deadlift 120lb...

Insanity is the same thing. Beginners can totally follow the move with less intensity. A lot of over weight people claimed doing it I believe them. But did they do the same way as Shaun T and his students, maybe not.

Worth it or not is a different question. I think all programs work for all people.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    At what speed is one a runner and not a jogger? And at what distance? Am I a runner if I can only run a mile or is it only official after I've entered a 5k? At what volume and weight is one a weight lifter? Does it count if it's dumbells not barbells? What about kettelbells? Is walking exercise? I'm guessing, like with "doing Insanity" it's all relative. At least you're moving either way.

Fair enough
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    I completed Insanity twice. I "acquired it" from a friend when I had my come to Jesus moment at 245lbs. I honestly couldn't do it right out of the box due to my weight and general lack of physical preparedness. I set it aside and walked at least 4 miles a day till I could begin jogging and continued till I was down to about 230 with reasonable stamina.

Even then, my first "Fit Test" was dismal. Seriously, I'm prior military and was shocked at just how out of routine I had gotten. So I completed week one and thought I was going to die every time. I was only completing about 30% of that Shawn and those psycho robots were doing. (Note: the key isn't to copy them, it's to use the routine as best as you can till you reach your target heart rate). As the weeks went along my progress improved with my HR remained constant. At the end of the series, I would honestly say, I could keep up with the videos at about 75%. The differences between Day1 and Final Day Fit Tests were astounding.

The second time I completed Insanity (6 months later), I started out doing about 60% and ended up being able to do 85% at the end. Fit tests weren't dramatically different the second time around and it really started to get stale.

I tried to do a third time, but I could say what Shawn was before him and I simply became too tired of it to finish. I got my hands on P90X instead. (FYI: If you've completed Insanity, P90X is a joke and is rather pointless).

I almost forgot... I lost almost 40lbs with Insanity and a very strict diet.
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    Here is how I take it: we all have to start from somewhere at certain level, beginner or no beginner. Just like any fitness program, you have to start from somewhere. I started lifting weight using a pair of 5 pounds...I know 5 lb dumbbells get a lot of "poopoo" here but that was my beginner level. I progressed to a pair of 40 now and deadlift 120lb...

Insanity is the same thing. Beginners can totally follow the move with less intensity. A lot of over weight people claimed doing it I believe them. But did they do the same way as Shaun T and his students, maybe not.

Worth it or not is a different question. I think all programs work for all people.
    ^^^THIS!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I get that what matters is to just be moving and be in your target heart rate and you will get a fitness boost and benefit whether you are insano-fit and doing the entire workout in pace with the instructors or completely out of shape and just limping along with poor form.

Thing is I also believe there must be many people who pick this up, struggle with it and push themselves way over their target heart rate OR just get frustrated with it and quit.

Seems to me people would be much better off starting with, well, a starter program. I've allowed myself to get out of shape and when I do I've used the P90 program (not P90X, P90) to great effect to get back into actually pretty good shape...and its doable, meaning you don't have to poor-form the moves. I just don't get the mentality of "Gee I've let myself go, I'm overweight and out of shape...I know, I will pick up the most difficult program I can find designed for athletes and do that".
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I did, I loved it, and I'm still doing it. I started when I was probably between 160-170lbs. Not the worse shape of my life, but not great. The first volume does not show modifications. The reason I love it and keep going back is because of the trainer. For me it's ALL ABOUT SHAUN T. He is an amazing instructor. Very encouraging. Explains things well. Makes sure you know exactly what to do & what not to do. He's the reason I also did T25 and then an Insanity/T25 Hybrid. Yes it's hard. Yes, it's long. But it works if you work for it.

I'm now down from 189 to 130 and if anyone asks me I will tell them I LOVE Insanity. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the mental & physical challenge of it all. I am 56 yrs old, and wanted to prove to myself I could do it. The results were amazing, and I felt fantastic after every single workout. My resting HR went from 89 to 60-65 after completing that program, so my cardiovascular fitness improved immensely. I couldn't even do one push-up when I began the program, and struggled with difficult combination moves (sequences in the program) at first. I continued to improve, and, eventually was keeping up with the people on the DVD. I became stronger, more fit, and I felt a great accomplishment by completing the program (which increased my self-esteem). I still pull out an Insanity workout for cardio now & then, just because I miss that level of challenge. I need to take breaks now that I'm not actively doing the program, but they're still fantastic workouts. I used to be an aerobics instructor, and I appreciated the way Insanity was put together by Shaun T. The program is definitely not for everybody, but for those of us who really enjoy it, there's not another program that compares to it. It's insane, but it's a lot of fun!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I get that what matters is to just be moving and be in your target heart rate and you will get a fitness boost and benefit whether you are insano-fit and doing the entire workout in pace with the instructors or completely out of shape and just limping along with poor form.

Thing is I also believe there must be many people who pick this up, struggle with it and push themselves way over their target heart rate OR just get frustrated with it and quit.

Seems to me people would be much better off starting with, well, a starter program. I've allowed myself to get out of shape and when I do I've used the P90 program (not P90X, P90) to great effect to get back into actually pretty good shape...and its doable, meaning you don't have to poor-form the moves. I just don't get the mentality of "Gee I've let myself go, I'm overweight and out of shape...I know, I will pick up the most difficult program I can find designed for athletes and do that".

I don't disagree. But you know, people do what they do. I wish there was answer to each "why"...
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I did, I loved it, and I'm still doing it. I started when I was probably between 160-170lbs. Not the worse shape of my life, but not great. The first volume does not show modifications. The reason I love it and keep going back is because of the trainer. For me it's ALL ABOUT SHAUN T. He is an amazing instructor. Very encouraging. Explains things well. Makes sure you know exactly what to do & what not to do. He's the reason I also did T25 and then an Insanity/T25 Hybrid. Yes it's hard. Yes, it's long. But it works if you work for it.

I'm now down from 189 to 130 and if anyone asks me I will tell them I LOVE Insanity. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me.

Sorry to single you out but just as someone who has done it what do you mean by "do" it. Do you mean you actually do those moves and do the entire 50+ minutes or do you take breaks or do half the moves, or maybe don't hold the same form.

I'm not trying to call you out of shape but you mentioned yourself you were in "not great" shape so thought I'd ask. Honestly from what I've seen you would have to be in great shape to be able to do those workouts.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Why do people gravitate towards the hardest looking workout they can find? Is the idea to get something that you can just keep working on and working on until you CAN do it at which point you know you are crazy-fit? Are we all masochists? Is this a good thing? I get that people want to push themselves, heck I want to push myself when I work out, it just seems that many would probably be pushing themselves just with a jump rope or going for a run that was longer than 20 minutes. Is there a benefit to just throwing yourself into the deep end like that?

I keep saying this but I really want to be clear that I am not trying to pass judgement, I am not saying it is wrong for people to do Insanity, I just personally think it looks to be at a level that is currently beyond me. Am I just being defeatist or am I being a realist here?

I totally get your post. I have one answer for the first part of the quote; I assume newbies try it because it sounds intense and "serious" and in the end I think deep down they know they will not finish it. I have first hand experience with a co-worker who did it for three days and quit and she smokes, she hates exercising and she's naturally skinny. And she only tried it because another co-worker does it with his wife and they are both used to it already. So that was a case of monkey see, monkey tries to do but can't in order keep up with the other monkeys.

Secondly, I guess programs like that are for the more experienced user to keep challenging themselves. But the commercials show folks who are already in shape. If it shows undershaped people, then I guess they have modified versions of the exercise.

But, my final answer is ..... people like to keep up with the Jonses and people like to spend money and people like to quit things. It's a common defeatist attitude; set yourself up to fail becaause watching what you eat is too simple a solution.

I like hi intensity interval training, but I know my limits for now. I may be able to push the limits later but I won't pay for Insanity if I know it's way advanced.

I stil have Tony Hortons older one that was the original 90 day beach body. That was pretty good 12 years ago and I think I may dig it out. It's only one DVD.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Isn't it the description of the COST of the program why it's called Insanity?:laugh:

Beach Body has good workout programs. And great marketing programs.

But smart people know that it's not the program that's creating the bodies. It's the calorie deficit. Without the calorie deficit, one would get more fit, but no calorie deficit and the body would still look the same. That goes with ANY exercise program (unless one is trying to bulk up).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • liz_walkerrr
    liz_walkerrr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why not? It doesn't require any extra equipment and the first month videos can be done in a half hour. A lot of the infomercials that I've seen use the workouts from the second month. The second month is on a whole different level than the first.. I am currently in the 3rd week of my second round. The DVDs were given to me and I hadn't exercised regularly in over a year before I started doing them. The first week I could barely move, and my calves were killing me.. I could probably do about 70% of the workout at first. By the end of the first month, I was completing every dvd. I honestly think it has a lot to do with your mind set and whether or not you can push yourself. I played a lot of sports in High School, and TBH the first month is very similar to the conditioning we went through for those-- only we conditioned outside in 90 degree weather.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Why? Because their infomercial is really really good. I'm not being facetious. Everytime I come across it, I start digging around for my cell phone and/or wallet. It's just full of awesomeness.

It is a pretty dope infomercial.

They are great. And Horton is so charismatic.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the program, but I'd suggest a couple of things:
    1- If I were doing the program (and the infomercial rocks), I hit pause at the end of each interval until I fully recovered. It looks pretty easy to modify.

2- I think that there is a lot appealing about it. "I'm insane" is pretty much a Barnum statement these days, and if the program helps you properly scale, going all out, getting serious and making a CHANGE is exactly what people are looking for. 30 pounds in 60 days? Ripped abs? Digging deep to find out what I can do? One year of work compressed into 60 days with special expert exercise voodoo? Plus, I've heard a lot of ordinary people speak highly of it. Sign me up!
  • healthycollege
    Options
    I actually completed the Insanity program and previous to that I was only running (longest distance having been about 13 miles, but most days were about 3-6 mile days). It was definitely a challenge and it kicked my *kitten*, but I gotta say that it gave me the best body of my life. I had an insane core and you can progressively feel yourself getting better at the workouts as you continue with the program. I know everyone is different but I personally believe in the program because it gave me amazing results. Everyone is different though. I also woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck almost every day, but it worked!